Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:35 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times

Advertisements

Okay, I dunno what the deal is (other than, hello summer!), but the immediate area around my house is innundated with dirt daubers and wasps. Is this normal? I haven't seen any wasp nests, but I have seen dirt daubers coming out of the weep holes in the brick. Any recommendations or should I just call an exterminator? I feel like I can't spend any time outside, because they buzz past me constantly--I mean, going to my car in the driveway, I'm visited by at least three of various kinds. I'm kind of a freak about them...I realize dirt daubers have to really feel threatened (like, as in handling them) to sting but red wasps make me flip out. We had both in Houston, but not so severely around the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 02:37 PM

Update: I have also found three different bugs in my daughter's bedroom--a cricket, a mud dauber, and a small dragonfly. She is in an upstairs bedroom and I'm just trying to figure out how in the world they got in?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:58 PM

107 posts, read 277,511 times
i just got done fighting off an invasion of paper wasps. worse part of it is that im allergic and they were building nests in my carport over my driver side door! two spray cans, a wasp trap and alot of shucking and jiving later and they appear to be gone. last year i had none and now its like a family reunion.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
I've been seeing an unusual amount of them around my house too. I guess everything can be explained by the drought and then all the rain.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,372 times
we see an enormous amount in the neighborhood pool. (which does not leave me too happy!)

Old 08-19-2010, 10:16 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
The 20-foot wasp spray works pretty well with 2 story houses...just be careful spraying when it's windy. I also like to spray the nest with the hose and then stomp on them when they fall to the ground.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 AM

340 posts, read 645,402 times
In Boerne, we're getting dirt (mud) daubers. I received a single sting on two separate occasions while doing yard work. I called Boerne Pest Control and they said dirt daubers are their number one call in the past month. All I could see were small mud nests...but after the pest control guy came, he found a nest the size of a saucer

Old 08-20-2010, 02:23 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,421 times
I have a lovely nest of yellow jackets growing out of the garage attic vent that managed to survive from last year. I thought I would be nice and just leave them alone so they could take care of the nuisance bugs, since they have been rather docile in the past, however, they swarmed around as if insulted when I opened the garage door twice today. I guess I'll just have to deal with the mosquitoes, etc., myself because when the wasps start having hissy fits just because I open or close my garage door, it is time for them to go! Tonight I will kill all the outside lights and then spray them and make sure to knock down as much of the nest as I can get to. There is another nest starting within 4 feet of this one, but under the eaves of the house that will have to go, too. I gave them a chance and they ruined it!

Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 PM

431 posts, read 1,203,757 times
I don't mind the daubers, but I have happily created a yellow-jacket genocide around my home. I sprayed 4 nests on my house, and at least 8 on the house next door (it's a rental, and the tenants never touch the yard). At least half of these nests were the size of my fist, and I have big hands.

Yet, I STILL can't float around my pool in peace. Little bastards.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
I don't mind the daubers, but I have happily created a yellow-jacket genocide around my home. I sprayed 4 nests on my house, and at least 8 on the house next door (it's a rental, and the tenants never touch the yard). At least half of these nests were the size of my fist, and I have big hands.

Yet, I STILL can't float around my pool in peace. Little bastards.
See, this is one thing about TX I have just never gotten. In FL, everyone has pool cages/screens. I guess they've just never caught on here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio