Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:35 AM

10 posts, read 22,647 times

Advertisements

The problem seems to be that some people think that the "normal speed" is 10 miles above the speed limit. Do people think that the phrase "moving more slowly" means doing the speed limit?
I have been passed by people who are easily doing 70-75 on a 60-65. The passing lane is not for those people. The passing lane is for allowing people who are DOING THE SPEED LIMIT to pass people going under the speed limit but above the minimum speed. I'm sure there are people who think that the Slower Traffic Keep Right sign negates the speed limit. Sorry but it ain't so. Anybody who thinks that the problem on SA roads is that people are going too slow, well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 11:43 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
uh no.

how about you SLOW THE **** DOWN.

there is a speed limit. if its 70, go 70. if its 60, go 60. i simply cannot stand people who are so adamant about speeding in the left lane.

THERE IS NO REASON FOR YOU TO SPEED AND BREAK THE LAW, SHORT OF SOMEONE DYING OR GIVING BIRTH IN YOUR CAR.

in short:

SLOW DOWN.
Let me guess, your that guy camped out in the left lane that everyone is going around you because YOU don't think they should be going over the posted speed limit. Newsflash..what you're doing is illegal. Slower traffic is to keep right and its for passing only. Those that don't adhere to this (which is a huge problem here in TX) are simply clogging up the roadways and attributing to the rise in road rage incidents.

Unless you're a traffic cop, how about worrying about your own driving.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:59 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Let me guess, your that guy camped out in the left lane that everyone is going around you because YOU don't think they should be going over the posted speed limit. Newsflash..what you're doing is illegal. Slower traffic is to keep right and its for passing only. Those that don't adhere to this (which is a huge problem here in TX) are simply clogging up the roadways and attributing to the rise in road rage incidents.

Unless you're a traffic cop, how about worrying about your own driving.
news flash. ive already beaten a charge like this in court. SPEEDING IS NOT LEGAL.

if im going 70 in the fast lane, and the speed limit is 70, i dont care how much you honk your horn, i dont care if you flash your lights, speed around me and flip me off. YOU are the one breaking the law.

the posted limit is the maximum speed you can go. unless you have an emergency situation (in which case you should pull over, call 911 and let the professionals handle it), you are not allowed to go above the maximum speed limit.

dont like it? oh well. i will continue to obey the law in the left hand lane and i will continue to beat charges like the one you referenced in court.

ps - my wife works for the police.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salejandro View Post
The problem seems to be that some people think that the "normal speed" is 10 miles above the speed limit. Do people think that the phrase "moving more slowly" means doing the speed limit?
I have been passed by people who are easily doing 70-75 on a 60-65. The passing lane is not for those people. The passing lane is for allowing people who are DOING THE SPEED LIMIT to pass people going under the speed limit but above the minimum speed. I'm sure there are people who think that the Slower Traffic Keep Right sign negates the speed limit. Sorry but it ain't so. Anybody who thinks that the problem on SA roads is that people are going too slow, well...
i wish i could give you detailed rep, so quick rep will do.

a big farking T H I S.

slow traffic keep right = / = its ok to go xx mph above the speed limit in the far left lane

Old 08-22-2010, 12:30 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salejandro View Post
The passing lane is not for those people. The passing lane is for allowing people who are DOING THE SPEED LIMIT to pass people going under the speed limit but above the minimum speed.
Slower traffic keep right means that if you don't see anyone in the front of you but someone on the back of you, you need to change the line and move to right. It is not your job to keep people from speeding, but keeping right will reduce traffic congestion. It doesn't matter how fast you drive, speed limit or not - if you are driving slower than people behind you - you are blocking the line and you have no business to be there.
If you need to reed about it:
http://www.slowertraffickeepright.com/
http://www.motorists.org/lane-courtesy/definition

4 Key Benefits Of Lane Courtesy

When drivers choose to block the left lane, whether intentionally or not, they are making the roads less safe and efficient for everyone.

Here are some of the benefits you and the other drivers on the road will notice if you keep the left lane open for passing:

1) You're Less Likely To Be In An Accident
By not obstructing other drivers, traffic is able to flow more smoothly. When traffic flows smoothly, there is less tailgating, less weaving in-and-out of traffic, and therefore fewer accidents.

2) You'll Get Better Gas Mileage
Lane courtesy promotes the smooth flow of traffic and helps drivers maintain an even pace. Vehicles use the most gas when accelerating. Less braking followed by acceleration will improve fuel economy.

3) You'll Get To Your Destination Faster
Yielding to faster traffic reduces congestion. When traffic is flowing smoothly, highway capacity can be utilized to the fullest extent.

4) You Will Not Have To Deal With Road Rage
There's little doubt that "left lane hogs" are a source of irritation for many drivers. The courteous act of moving to the right can eliminate driver stress and conflict.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Slower traffic keep right means that if you don't see anyone in the front of you but someone on the back of you, you need to change the line and move to right. It is not your job to keep people from speeding, but keeping right will reduce traffic congestion. It doesn't matter how fast you drive, speed limit or not - if you are driving slower than people behind you -
uhm. no, it does not mean that. please provide a citation to your ridiculous claim.

secondly, if im in the far left lane going the limit and someone other than a cop, EMS or other emergency personnel catches up to me, THEY are the ones breaking the law by not going the speed limit.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
news flash. ive already beaten a charge like this in court. SPEEDING IS NOT LEGAL.
Neither is camping out in the left lane Sport, as evidenced by your stint to traffic court to "beat the charge".

Quote:
if im going 70 in the fast lane, and the speed limit is 70, i dont care how much you honk your horn, i dont care if you flash your lights, speed around me and flip me off. YOU are the one breaking the law.
Just as I figured, another clueless person trying to act like a cop. As noted above by your trip to court, what your doing is illegal.

Quote:
the posted limit is the maximum speed you can go. unless you have an emergency situation (in which case you should pull over, call 911 and let the professionals handle it), you are not allowed to go above the maximum speed limit.
Getting briefed on traffic laws by someone that clearly states he's been to court and "beaten" the charges before.....Classic.

Quote:
dont like it? oh well. i will continue to obey the law in the left hand lane and i will continue to beat charges like the one you referenced in court.
Are you on some form of medication? You're saying you will continue to obey the law in the left lane and continue to beat charges for doing so? If you're obeying the law, why would you then have to continue to beat such charges (again)?

Quote:
ps - my wife works for the police.
My best friends a Bexar County Sheriff. What's your point?

Old 08-22-2010, 12:44 PM

10 posts, read 22,647 times
Quote:
i wish i could give you detailed rep, so quick rep will do.

a big farking T H I S.

slow traffic keep right = / = its ok to go xx mph above the speed limit in the far left lane

I wish you could give a detailed rep on this as well.
If slower traffic means it's okay to speed in the left lane then why are cops issuing speeding tickets on SA highways? Including ones in the passing lane since I have been given speeding tickets for speeding in the left lane.
Guess I should have said," well gee officer I thought since that sign sez slower traffic keep right it meant I could break the law and go above the posted maximum speed limit"
Thanks for the chuckle!

Old 08-22-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Slower traffic keep right means that if you don't see anyone in the front of you but someone on the back of you, you need to change the line and move to right. It is not your job to keep people from speeding, but keeping right will reduce traffic congestion. It doesn't matter how fast you drive, speed limit or not - if you are driving slower than people behind you - you are blocking the line and you have no business to be there.
If you need to reed about it:
www.slowertraffickeepright.com
What Is Lane Courtesy? | Lane Courtesy

4 Key Benefits Of Lane Courtesy

When drivers choose to block the left lane, whether intentionally or not, they are making the roads less safe and efficient for everyone.

Here are some of the benefits you and the other drivers on the road will notice if you keep the left lane open for passing:

1) You're Less Likely To Be In An Accident
By not obstructing other drivers, traffic is able to flow more smoothly. When traffic flows smoothly, there is less tailgating, less weaving in-and-out of traffic, and therefore fewer accidents.

2) You'll Get Better Gas Mileage
Lane courtesy promotes the smooth flow of traffic and helps drivers maintain an even pace. Vehicles use the most gas when accelerating. Less braking followed by acceleration will improve fuel economy.

3) You'll Get To Your Destination Faster
Yielding to faster traffic reduces congestion. When traffic is flowing smoothly, highway capacity can be utilized to the fullest extent.

4) You Will Not Have To Deal With Road Rage
There's little doubt that "left lane hogs" are a source of irritation for many drivers. The courteous act of moving to the right can eliminate driver stress and conflict.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:48 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
uhm. no, it does not mean that. please provide a citation to your ridiculous claim.

secondly, if im in the far left lane going the limit and someone other than a cop, EMS or other emergency personnel catches up to me, THEY are the ones breaking the law by not going the speed limit.
Here you go, the state "keep right" laws:

You may use the left lane (when there is more than one lane in your direction) to pass. You may or may not be able to use the left lane when not passing. The table below describes the law in effect in each state.

A few states permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left. These have "yes" in the "keep right" column. Six states require drivers to move right if they are blocking traffic in the left lane. Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit; see below). These are listed as "slower", with an asterisk and an explanation under "comments" if vehicles lawfully using the left lane must yield to overtaking traffic. A few states either do not require vehicles to keep right ("no"), or permit vehicles moving at the speed limit to drive in the left lane regardless of traffic conditions. Texas do not belong to that group.

The Uniform Vehicle Code states:

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...

Note that this law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic.

State "keep right" laws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio