Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 07:31 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,495,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
news flash. ive already beaten a charge like this in court. SPEEDING IS NOT LEGAL.

if im going 70 in the fast lane, and the speed limit is 70, i dont care how much you honk your horn, i dont care if you flash your lights, speed around me and flip me off. YOU are the one breaking the law.

the posted limit is the maximum speed you can go. unless you have an emergency situation (in which case you should pull over, call 911 and let the professionals handle it), you are not allowed to go above the maximum speed limit.

dont like it? oh well. i will continue to obey the law in the left hand lane and i will continue to beat charges like the one you referenced in court.

ps - my wife works for the police.
Ignorance is bliss, If you say you're obeying the law why aren't you moving to the right to let traffic pass. They could be speeding by 10, or 20 miles over but you are still obstructing the flow of traffic. You may have beaten a charge like this before, but that means that you wont do it again! even if your wife works for the police or not in this case this is irrelevant unless you think that has given you a special privilege to enforce road laws upon other drivers? that is your wife's jobs not yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM

18,063 posts, read 25,158,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You think that are making the highway safer by driving on the left lane?
Maybe you'll change your mind when you make a family speeding to the hospital get in a wreck because you forced them to pass on the right lane.
Quoting myself, because I'd like to hear what Dexter has to say about this

Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 AM

993 posts, read 2,485,281 times
Saw the black SAPD camaro with someone pulled over on IH-10 West near Huebner. It annoyed the hell out of me though, because everyone was rubbernecking like crazy. It was just a black unmarked Camaro with black wheels, STOP BRAKING!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:10 PM

330 posts, read 934,681 times
I haven't seen Camaro Cop, but we have Hummer Cop in our neighborhood ...

Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,573,483 times
Ah, the old 'Left lane' debate again. We had a real good one last year about this time. I started sending emails to the TDPS to get an official rendering of the law. We finally decided that a one on one phone conversation would be better. I supplied them with a phone number for me. Here is what I found out.

According to Major Ron Joy of the TDPS, the only time you would be in violation of driving in the left lane illegally would be if you are moving slower than other traffic and going slower than the posted speed limit or the area is marked LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY. If you are doing the speed limit then you would not be impeding traffic. If there is no other traffic on the roadway you may use any lane you wish as long as you are going the minimum to maximum speed limit and there is no signage regulating the left lane as passing only. At no time are you permitted to exceed the posted speed limit.

]I would invite anyone to give Major Joy a call and talk to him or one of the other officers. That's what I did and now I know. As far as the unmarked or stealth police cars, I think they are mainly targeting aggressive drivers and tailgaters. So if you are in the habit of cruising the left lane at 80mph and tailgating the car in front of you to intimidate them to get out of your way, you may have a stealth police car ruin you day.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,738,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Ah, the old 'Left lane' debate again. We had a real good one last year about this time. I started sending emails to the TDPS to get an official rendering of the law. We finally decided that a one on one phone conversation would be better. I supplied them with a phone number for me. Here is what I found out.

According to Major Ron Joy of the TDPS, the only time you would be in violation of driving in the left lane illegally would be if you are moving slower than other traffic and going slower than the posted speed limit or the area is marked LEFT LANE FOR PASSING ONLY. If you are doing the speed limit then you would not be impeding traffic. If there is no other traffic on the roadway you may use any lane you wish as long as you are going the minimum to maximum speed limit and there is no signage regulating the left lane as passing only. At no time are you permitted to exceed the posted speed limit.

]I would invite anyone to give Major Joy a call and talk to him or one of the other officers. That's what I did and now I know. As far as the unmarked or stealth police cars, I think they are mainly targeting aggressive drivers and tailgaters. So if you are in the habit of cruising the left lane at 80mph and tailgating the car in front of you to intimidate them to get out of your way, you may have a stealth police car ruin you day.
So if I am going 69 in 70, holding up traffic on the left side...I should get a ticket? Laws regarding this issue clearly need to be worded better. Too much left open for interpretation.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:11 PM

18,063 posts, read 25,158,903 times
Driving with a Rottweiler on your lap while eating a burger and talking on the cell phone is legal....
but there's something called "common sense" that a lot of people here don't seem to have.
If you have somebody tailgating you on the leftlane, maybe....... maybe, it's because they are trying to pass you.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:35 PM

I wasn't stating whether the law makes sense or not I was just stating what an officer of the law told me when I asked to have the left lane issue explained. I didn't ask about having a Rottweiler in my lap so I can't say if there is a law about that or not. In the end it doesn't matter if you like the law or if it make sense to you or if you even care. If you don't like the traffic laws there is always the bus.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
So if I am going 69 in 70, holding up traffic on the left side...I should get a ticket? Laws regarding this issue clearly need to be worded better. Too much left open for interpretation.
I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for going 1 mile over or under the speed limit.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:38 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,915,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Driving with a Rottweiler on your lap while eating a burger and talking on the cell phone is legal....
but there's something called "common sense" that a lot of people here don't seem to have.
If you have somebody tailgating you on the leftlane, maybe....... maybe, it's because they are trying to pass you.
Yes, but unfortunately we have people that think it's their civic duty to stop people from speeding so they camp out in the left lane causing traffic to back up and, as you mentioned, unsafe passing in the right lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio