Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,706,752 times

Advertisements

The other day I saw what I am pretty sure was a bald eagle flying in the Helotes/1604 area. Didn't have a camera with me. Anyone else seen them before? It's way too early for them to be migrating South.

I have seen them flying many times before in the Hill Country/Llano area. Wonder how far south they go. I remember when I was like 5 years old we saw one flying over a playground in Brownsville.

Llano county American bald eagle family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,820 times
I am pretty sure you saw bird of prey that has a similar look to a Bald Eagle. We used to always see them while hunting in Cotulla, but I am not sure of their name.
My grandfather always just called them a "Mexican Falcon"...they have a dark body, white head and a orange beak. I have seen Bald eagles in Florida and they are much larger than this Mexcian Falcon or a Reg-Tailed Hawk.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,706,752 times
That's true, but we do have bald eagles in the hill country, so can't rule that out.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:30 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
There are bald eagles in Texas, not many but their numbers are increasing...

Quote:
Since 1981, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has conducted extensive aerial surveys to monitor Bald Eagle nesting activity. The 2003 survey identified 117 active nests which fledged at least 144 young. This compares with only 7 known nest sites in 1971. Midwinter Bald Eagle counts coordinated by TPWD and conducted by birding enthusiasts throughout the state reported 325 eagles in 2002. From 1986-1989, midwinter counts averaged less than 15 Bald Eagles per survey site. Since 1990, the average number of eagles per survey site has increased to 18. These numbers show encouraging trends for Texas. With continued vigilance, protection, and informed management, today's Texans can insure that future generations will have the opportunity to enjoy the sight of our majestic national symbol - the only eagle unique to North America.

Source: Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Here is where they usually are found:

Given the number of predatory birds that exist in Central Texas (Osprey, Red-tailed Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Prairie Falcon, American Kestrel, Crested Caracara, Loggerhead Shrike, etc)--some of which could easily be mistaken for a bald eagle under certani conditions--I would suspect it was something else; but you never know!

Either way, we love the huge birds we see in that area all the time!

Cheers! M2

Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I am pretty sure you saw bird of prey that has a similar look to a Bald Eagle. We used to always see them while hunting in Cotulla, but I am not sure of their name.
My grandfather always just called them a "Mexican Falcon"...they have a dark body, white head and a orange beak. I have seen Bald eagles in Florida and they are much larger than this Mexcian Falcon or a Reg-Tailed Hawk.

Yep, they are also known as a Mexican Eagle, or Caracara. They're smaller than Bald Eagles, but they're quite lovely. I have had an up-close personal experience with an injured juvenile that was lost in our neighborhood in Houston.

TexasNick, it would not surprise me if what you saw was a Bald Eagle. They are growing in numbers in the United States, something I think we can all appreciate! :-) I remember driving down from Miami to Key West with my husband (then-fiance) and I showed him the Bald Eagle nests up high atop power poles--he didn't believe they had them until he saw one flying in the air for himself! Needless to say, he was pretty awe-inspired...by my genius.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:59 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Not a fan of bald eagles,
I was in Hannibal, Missouri on a cliff trying to watch them standing on trees by the river when a couple of them started flying around over me
one of them was so close that I could see his eyes looking at me.

After that, I don't care much for them.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:03 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,809 times
I wasn't paying attention when I clicked on this thread - I thought that the Eagles would be playing a show in San Antonio! Hate when I do that...

I've seen one bald eagle in Texas, it was a few years ago when we were out in Junction and it was probably just passing through.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:07 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Yep, they are also known as a Mexican Eagle, or Caracara. They're smaller than Bald Eagles, but they're quite lovely. I have had an up-close personal experience with an injured juvenile that was lost in our neighborhood in Houston.
That might be it...is this what you saw Nick?

Cheers! M2

Old 08-26-2010, 12:27 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,809 times
Dude he's totally going to mack out on that bird in his mouth. Awesome picture...

Old 04-11-2012, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,808 times
Default Bald Eagle Siting

Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
The other day I saw what I am pretty sure was a bald eagle flying in the Helotes/1604 area. Didn't have a camera with me. Anyone else seen them before? It's way too early for them to be migrating South.

I have seen them flying many times before in the Hill Country/Llano area. Wonder how far south they go. I remember when I was like 5 years old we saw one flying over a playground in Brownsville.

Llano county American bald eagle family.
I live near the 1604 & 35 interchange... I nearly had an accident trying to pull over and get to my camera to take a picture of 2 Bald Eagles playing on the wind just yesterday... AMAZING... I thought it was too hot for them to be in SATX... so happy I am wrong! No, I didn't get the picture - just angry stares from fellow drivers at my sudden pull over... glad most San Antonians were at work... for those I pissed off... SORRY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio