Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times

Advertisements

The good news is that they finally finished Braun where it crosses over 1604!

Initially it still only had one lane where it crosses over the northbound Loop, but they've widened it into two lanes that go all the way across. These means less morons crossing over the solid line of the turn lane to go straight!

Now we just have to wait until everyone learns of the new traffic pattern. The lanes shift a little to the right where they cross the northbound lane, and back to the left after crossing the southbound one!

Oh, and be careful of the lane that goes onto westbound Braun from southbound 1604 (by Walgreens), idiots are still clueless as to the yield there and are darting out into one and sometimes across two lanes without looking or even slowing down!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 03:36 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
The good news is that they finally finished Braun where it crosses over 1604!

Initially it still only had one lane where it crosses over the northbound Loop, but they've widened it into two lanes that go all the way across. These means less morons crossing over the solid line of the turn lane to go straight!

Now we just have to wait until everyone learns of the new traffic pattern. The lanes shift a little to the right where they cross the northbound lane, and back to the left after crossing the southbound one!
Yep, that was done last Monday night (i.e. a week ago tonight.) Works a lot better now. There is a guide line through the intersection to shunt traffic where it belongs.

BTW, it's not illegal to cross a single solid white line. I know it was annoying, but technically those folks weren't doing anything illegal.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:49 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,056 times
Quote:
Oh, and be careful of the lane that goes onto westbound Braun from southbound 1604 (by Walgreens), idiots are still clueless as to the yield there and are darting out into one and sometimes across two lanes without looking or even slowing down!

Cheers! M2
I seen it! I seen it! I also seen a nice big accident because it happened again!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:42 AM

TexHwyMan (or anyone else who could answer this), is there anyone at TxDOT that we could submit recommendations to concerning the Braun/1604 intersection?

There are two improvements I can see. First, make the turnaround lane going north also the left turn only lane to Braun westward. As it stands most people park themselves in the far left lane because of the forced right turn onto the access road just north of the intersection. They appear clueless as to the fact that the center lane also continues onward to 1604. All it would require the removal of some of the concrete island that forces the turnaround lane and the movement of a few signs.

Secondly, it would make sense to have the center lane of Braun going eastward as a turn lane as well going northward onto 1604. Right now the only lane that allows turns is the dedicated left lane; but if the middle lane could be an optional turn or go straight lane with lines directing which lane of 1604 it and the lane to its left go to, it would seriously help matters. Right now there is still a long backup back as far as the southbound 1604 lane and even further westward on Braun, and it isn't uncommon for people to stay in the center lane then force themselves into the left turn lane causing a lot of aggrevation for those who have patiently waited. They also sometimes block the eastbound traffic as there is no room to merge over, to the aggrevation of those trying to go straight through the intersection.

The new lanes have helped matters, but they've also failed to eleviate some of the issues at that dangerous intersection. Maybe these suggestions can be studied to see if they would help.

Cheers! M2

Old 11-01-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
TexHwyMan (or anyone else who could answer this), is there anyone at TxDOT that we could submit recommendations to concerning the Braun/1604 intersection?
Sure, I'll take your suggestions to the engineers on that project.

Quote:
There are two improvements I can see. First, make the turnaround lane going north also the left turn only lane to Braun westward. As it stands most people park themselves in the far left lane because of the forced right turn onto the access road just north of the intersection. They appear clueless as to the fact that the center lane also continues onward to 1604. All it would require the removal of some of the concrete island that forces the turnaround lane and the movement of a few signs.
The biggest problem I could see with that would be that it would decrease the amount of storage space for eastbound traffic, which as you know often times backs-up to the southbound 1604 side. With the number of gravel trucks and school buses that traverse that intersection, storage space is important.

Quote:
Secondly, it would make sense to have the center lane of Braun going eastward as a turn lane as well going northward onto 1604. Right now the only lane that allows turns is the dedicated left lane; but if the middle lane could be an optional turn or go straight lane with lines directing which lane of 1604 it and the lane to its left go to, it would seriously help matters. Right now there is still a long backup back as far as the southbound 1604 lane and even further westward on Braun, and it isn't uncommon for people to stay in the center lane then force themselves into the left turn lane causing a lot of aggrevation for those who have patiently waited. They also sometimes block the eastbound traffic as there is no room to merge over, to the aggrevation of those trying to go straight through the intersection.
Or they'll turn illegally from the center lane.

I've actually talked to the engineers a couple of times about that very thing, and they say the traffic counts they've done don't justify that change, especially since the signal there is a permissive left for the first half of the phase. That means left turners in the center lane waiting for a gap to turn would block it for through traffic, which presents a whole new set of problems. That said, I'll bring it up again and see if they have or will give it any more consideration, especially to see if it would help eliminate the biggest issue I have seen, that being when that left turn lane backs up past the SB 1604 lanes and people headed westbound on Braun turn onto southbound 1604 between the stopped cars but get creamed by someone in the center lane eastbound on Braun who still has a green light.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks TexHwyMan! And I don't see how they can claim the traffic counts turning left onto northbound 1604 don't warrant a second turning lane, we regularly go that route and it's rare to make it in under two iterations of red lights. That recommendation is actually more critical than the first, and I see your point about "storage space" but the gravel trucks and school buses are contributing to the backup in the far left lane when they try and make that turn westbound on Braun. As you probably know, there was a dedicated turn lane there before it was converted into a third lane northbound and it seemed to alleviate some of the congestion in the left northbound lane.

Either way, I appreciate your passing on this suggestions!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-08-2010, 11:45 AM

TexHwyMan

I obviously am no traffic engineer; but in my opinion it appears that the turn-around lane on northbound 1604 and Braun is of sufficient length to be converted into a turn lane as well without causing any problems with the regular flow of traffic going straight. Since there isn't as much use of the turnaround lane as there is going left on Braun, it would benefit the school buses and quarry trucks that regularly go that direction.

Cheers! M2

Old 11-29-2010, 11:32 AM

So I recently spoke to the city's traffic engineer that is working on the Braun/1604 intersection. When I brought it up, he smiled and said that that intersection makes him pound his head on the wall hoping that will help him think of something better. I believe he used the word "mess" to describe it.

Specifically, he does agree that a case could be made for a second left turn lane on eastbound Braun. However, traffic counts are evenly split over the day with regards to left turning traffic versus through traffic, so if the center lane were converted to a left turn lane, that would essentially create a bottleneck for through traffic, at least at some times of the day. It's a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation. Right now, it is not feasible to make that center lane an option lane (left/straight) because of the increased likelihood of rear-end collisions that would cause since it's a lagging (comes at the end of the phase) protected left there. However, they are looking at possible signal modifications in conjunction with possible changes to northbound 1604 that might make an option lane workable.

That makes for a nice segue to your other point-- they are looking at adding a dedicated left turn lane to northbound 1604. Specifically, they're worried that when the superstreet is done, Braun would again become the bottleneck going northbound, negating the benefits of the superstreet. Since there will be a turnaround about 200 yards south of Braun as part of the superstreet, the need for the existing north to south turnaround will be eliminated, freeing that area for a possible left turn lane. They're willing to give-up some of the storage area on eastbound Braun in the middle of 1604 to facilitate that. As mentioned above, signal modifications may also be in the offing.

Stay tuned. I'm going to check back with him in a few months and see what progress they've made.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:21 PM

TexHwyMan

Thanks for the update!

As for the eastbound Braun problem with traffic turning north onto 1604, I see the city traffic engineer's point on how even adding the option to turn could cause an increase in rear end collisions. Please let him know he's not the only one pounding his head against the wall when it comes to that particular intersection!

Just spitballing here, but even an increase in the left arrow signal would appear to help help. Currently only about half of the traffic caught between the two lights makes it through the arrow as it is timed. Extending it for another 15-30 seconds would probably allow that back-up to clear, and would reduce the problem of people blocking southbound 1604 as the cross it via Braun.

Again, I appreciate your taking these concerns upward, and let the traffic engineer know that while that intersection may still be a bit of a "mess," it is still a lot better than it was and those of us that live in the area and use it frequently are grateful for all the work that has been done in trying to fix the issues the best they can!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio