Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 06:21 PM

9 posts, read 20,084 times

Advertisements

Ok... I don't want to go on a long diatribe on how RUNNERS are far superior to BIKERS , but for those who ride bikes at McAllister:

PLEASE be careful when riding your bikes on the dirt trails. I have been nearly PLOWED by several of you who don't bother yelling BIKE, when you're coming up behind me. Also, the trails are for ALL so when ur coming near me, I will step aside for a bit if you do the same. On many occasions, I have to get COMPLETELY out of the way for a biker.

McAllister park is one of the ONLY good dirt trail parks in the city (great for long distance running) and I'm training for a marathon. Please learn to share it with everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 07:02 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
One time I had to get out of the way of a biker. I looked away, and when I looked back I was inches from a huge spider's web. KRANNNGGG!!! I barely missed going face first into the web.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:32 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Well, as a biker I can go on about the number of times I have come up on runners, tried to get their attention so I wouldn't startle them when I passed only to find they have headphones on with music turned up so loud that my bell and even yelling isn't heard!

I've also come across runners who felt they had more of a right to be on the trails, and who make no effort to get out of the way even when it is easier for them to do so.

By the way, your attitude ("how RUNNERS are far superior to BIKERS" and "I'm training for a marathon") would lead one to think you are arrogant and believe you have more of a right to be there than anyone else; so you might want to considering following your own advice, the park is for everyone and that includes bikers!

Old 08-27-2010, 11:48 PM

254 posts, read 548,327 times
I agree that some bikers are more aggressive than they need to be here on this trail. It is an amazing trail for your mountain bike, however it is equally compelling for a good run.
I also agree somewhat about the headphones too. That being said I will never stop wearing headphones on this trail or on any run for that matter.

I have become accustomed to lowering my volume so that I can somewhat hear as a biker approaches. But I have still have a couple run-ins where the biker is not making any effort to budge, and if I see you "rude guy with glasses" coming towards me again prepare to be clotheslined sucka.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:44 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweet Pickles Bus View Post
and if I see you "rude guy with glasses" coming towards me again prepare to be clotheslined sucka.
LMAO. This has the potential to be an epic thread. Continue.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:44 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
It's unfortunate these bikers Moderator cut: vulgar, but that still gives them no right to be aggressive on the trails.

Last edited by Bo; 08-28-2010 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-28-2010, 09:47 AM

And runners "endowed" with so much arrogance that they feel everyone must bow to their wishes and desires...

Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 PM

151 posts, read 299,522 times
There will always be people who think they are better than others. Even in the most inane ways...

Old 08-28-2010, 05:03 PM

9 posts, read 20,084 times
Fair enough major, that part was healthy smack talk. Runners and bikers are always at odds (unless they're triathletes) Lance Armstrong DID say the hardest thing he's ever done was run a marathon, so.... But I was only saying that in jest.

And yes... running on the trails with headphones is a bit naive. Use a treadmill if ur gonna do that...

No, I don't feel entitled to the trails anymore than you guys feel entitled to the roads when you're riding alongside cars. I believe the trails are for EVERYONE... but as runners we are just a bit more vulnerable and at more risk for injury if we have a collision with one of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Well, as a biker I can go on about the number of times I have come up on runners, tried to get their attention so I wouldn't startle them when I passed only to find they have headphones on with music turned up so loud that my bell and even yelling isn't heard!

I've also come across runners who felt they had more of a right to be on the trails, and who make no effort to get out of the way even when it is easier for them to do so.

By the way, your attitude ("how RUNNERS are far superior to BIKERS" and "I'm training for a marathon") would lead one to think you are arrogant and believe you have more of a right to be there than anyone else; so you might want to considering following your own advice, the park is for everyone and that includes bikers!

Old 08-28-2010, 05:56 PM

Actually, I don't ride on the road as it is more dangerous that dodging the runners on trails!

Honestly, I don't think there will ever be peace and harmony on the trails, the runners and biker and horseback riders all think they should have priority and when there is a conflict it is rare that anyone sees the other side's side. Like driving around here, most try to be courteous but are easily enraged due to the lack of the same by a few others. No matter how hard you try, someone's always going to do something stupid and **** you off because they simply don't care about anyone but themselves.

I actually run every day, but inside on a treadmill because 1) running outdoors is just too damaging to my old joints, 2) the heat would probably cause me to have a stroke and 3) I'd most likely get run over because there's no way I could run without headphones on.

But if it makes you feel any better, bikers actually get into arguments with each other due to the same things...guys riding with headphones on, not heeding calls to pass, riding too fast on trails, failing to warn others of their approach, etc.

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio