Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:25 AM

48 posts, read 192,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I've driven my dad's truck (when he had one) and there's uncalled for behavior in any type of car. It just seems that sometimes the drivers of pickup use their vehicles to intimate other drivers. Note sometimes, there are good and bad drivers in every type of vehicle.

Skeet09, this is true. I do not know how you can measure road range comparisons between one city to the next. But, you are right, you can experience road rage in any type of vehicle. I've been a victim of road rage, and I was not in a truck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 10:31 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
I agree, moving from such a beautiful city to San Antonio is going to be very disappointing to say the least. But you have to go where the jobs are. Just my personal opinion.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:03 AM

354 posts, read 712,332 times
excuse the typing... doing this from my htc imagine. s someone who moved from los angeles here, sanantonio is a beautiful city on its own right. the only thing I find disappointing is when fellow california move here andcomplain its not like home! well wth, do you expect to move from another state and have everything be the same? seriously? that would be like me(i am originally from boston) having movedto hawaii and complaining that there's no snow and no harvard university! also, I findit beyond ridiculous that one poster, having moved here from s.d. said there's too much money from her prop. taxes spent on education here and she has childreninschscho Wow...just Wow... just Wow...as ayoung teacher with no children who doesn't mind spending moneyon education I now know why some kids don't do well in school.look at the parents attitudes toward education.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 PM

4 posts, read 6,972 times
Thanks MayaLevi, It's nice to hear some positive things about San Antonio. I was starting to get worried, but you and a few others have made me feel a lot better about my upcoming move. I understand it's not going to be anything like San Diego and I am prepared for that, but I had heard several horror stories that had me very nervous. Thanks again for expressing the brighter side of SA.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
caligirlsj, I think you're going to find the negativity is largely from those that found themselves unable to accept responsibility for themselves, and that there isn't a law for every little situation. The folks in SA are by and large warm and inviting, and if you'll invest the time to get to know them, you'll find them to be the staunchest friends anyone could ask for. We may not have opera here, but we love our families, our history - and our neighbors.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 AM

413 posts, read 742,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlsj View Post
Thanks MayaLevi, It's nice to hear some positive things about San Antonio. I was starting to get worried, but you and a few others have made me feel a lot better about my upcoming move. I understand it's not going to be anything like San Diego and I am prepared for that, but I had heard several horror stories that had me very nervous. Thanks again for expressing the brighter side of SA.
I'm not saying there isn't a brighter side. Your money definitely goes further here. But you should expect to stay at home a lot more, and travel for enjoyment. We save our pennies and get out of town often. Living here allows us to save some extra pennies. When we go out or if friends are in town, we go to Austin. Shopping? We'll wait for a NY or LA trip. Culture? The next Europe vacation will have that. But, we have a house larger than we could find in many other big cities, and we stay inside more than when we lived in other states.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 PM

354 posts, read 712,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
I'm not saying there isn't a brighter side. Your money definitely goes further here. But you should expect to stay at home a lot more, and travel for enjoyment. We save our pennies and get out of town often. Living here allows us to save some extra pennies. When we go out or if friends are in town, we go to Austin. Shopping? We'll wait for a NY or LA trip. Culture? The next Europe vacation will have that. But, we have a house larger than we could find in many other big cities, and we stay inside more than when we lived in other states.
speaking of shopping,fyi, san marcos outlets had a huge sale this weekend. i got 100 bucks of clothes for 60 and a kate spade bag for 30 percent off the outlet price!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 PM

50 posts, read 83,833 times
Mayalevi has a great attitude. San Antonio is not San Diego but has it's own special charm. I moved many times so it is easier for me to adapt to a new city. It may be more difficult for you since it's your first move away from the place where you grew up. You will find many ex Californians here, some like it and some can't wait to move back to California. We moved here from the bay area and love it, even my California girl daughter has adjusted quite well.

While I would like to learn Spanish, I have not found it necessary for employment. San Antonio has a large medical community so it should not be difficult to find work.

The choice of housing is extensive, only restricted by your taste and pocket book. As some have pointed out already, there are historic homes, mid century, and of course the myriad of subdivisions for every price range. If you and your husband don't mind a bit of a commute then you also have the opportunity to move to larger acreage if that is something that appeals to you. I also work at Port San Antonio and have coworkers commuting from every direction. I don't know how the traffic compares to San Diego but it is a lot better the bay area.

It does get hot here in the summer. Rain is very much appreciated most of the time.

San Antonio will be what you make of it. I had very low expectations of this city when I found out that we would move here and was pleasantly surprised. I hope that you will have a similar experience in San Antonio.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:20 PM

48 posts, read 192,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemada View Post
Mayalevi has a great attitude. San Antonio is not San Diego but has it's own special charm. I moved many times so it is easier for me to adapt to a new city. It may be more difficult for you since it's your first move away from the place where you grew up. You will find many ex Californians here, some like it and some can't wait to move back to California. We moved here from the bay area and love it, even my California girl daughter has adjusted quite well.

While I would like to learn Spanish, I have not found it necessary for employment. San Antonio has a large medical community so it should not be difficult to find work.

The choice of housing is extensive, only restricted by your taste and pocket book. As some have pointed out already, there are historic homes, mid century, and of course the myriad of subdivisions for every price range. If you and your husband don't mind a bit of a commute then you also have the opportunity to move to larger acreage if that is something that appeals to you. I also work at Port San Antonio and have coworkers commuting from every direction. I don't know how the traffic compares to San Diego but it is a lot better the bay area.

It does get hot here in the summer. Rain is very much appreciated most of the time.

San Antonio will be what you make of it. I had very low expectations of this city when I found out that we would move here and was pleasantly surprised. I hope that you will have a similar experience in San Antonio.
Jemada, you make some very good points, and so nicely stated. San Antonio is a wonderful city with a lot of opportunities. Come with an open mind and a positive attitude and hopefully, you will fall in love with the beauty of our city. I'm pretty sure that Caligirl will do just fine.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
speaking of shopping,fyi, san marcos outlets had a huge sale this weekend. i got 100 bucks of clothes for 60 and a kate spade bag for 30 percent off the outlet price!
caligirlsj, FYI regarding the outlets in San Marcos (in case you might visit the outlets after your move to S.A.) - there are actually 2 outlet malls next to each other. One of them has many of the same stores as the outlets in Carlsbad. Depending on where you live in San Antonio, San Marcos is about 45 minutes to an hour away-ish (it's 30 minutes from where I live, but I am in the northeast area and I don't think that's where you will likely end up based on commute time to your husband's work). I know this isn't the most important factor in your relocation, but just wanted to mention it.

I have not lived in San Diego, but we do visit that area for a week or two at least once or twice a year. It will definitely be a change for you, but I hope you will be happy here. My husband and I love to travel (I was an Air Force child, so I think my travel bug came from our moves when I was younger as well as the time we lived in Germany where it was so easy to wake up on Saturday morning and say, "Let's go to Paris for the weekend"...), whether day trips, long weekends, or extended vacations. One thing that I enjoy about the San Antonio area is that there are many day or weekend trip possibilities (driving trips) - from small towns to larger cities. One negative which I think someone already mentioned is that our airport does not always have the best flight options. Occasionally I have found much cheaper flights (and/or more preferable flights for a variety of reasons) out of the smaller airport in Austin, which is not a bad drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio