Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 09:29 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times

Advertisements

Or, as we in the military often say, "the biggest problem with common sense is that it just isn't common!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 12:00 AM

55 posts, read 165,324 times
Default Very Sad

I was driving on 410 going east on saturday around 7-8 and noticed a crowd gathering around the access road then I saw a news van arrive. I didnt think much of it til I was reading woai.com. I just cant beleive it. I always drop my 12 year old daughter off at the skating rink on bandera and her and her friends always seem to have a good time. I always arrive 15-30 mintues early to pick them up. I usually go around 9:45/10:00. I just can't believe her mother let her out at 11:30. I have noticed that there are always a few bad kids hanging around the rink afterwards just throwing rocks at each other and running around like crazy. Very unfortunante and heartbreaking.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:26 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,610 times
like the common sense to not run across a 410 three lane off ramp in the dead of night?

of course, notwithstanding the fact that they were a gaggle of tweens wandering around without parents near midnight. but man, i really don't know what goes through some of these people's heads when they try to cross some of these roads. the only thing that scares me more on the road than other drives is some idiot jumping out into traffic.

i'm not trying to sound insensitive, i apologize if i am. but reckless pedestrians are dangerous just like reckless drivers. only they don't have several thousand pounds of steel to protect them.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:28 AM

203 posts, read 561,368 times
Wouldn't be surprised if the mother 1)has several more children 2) is on gov't assistance 3) had children before she was even 16. 4) is pregnant.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Very sad. This could have happened at 7 or 8pm so curfew is not really a huge factor here. What is sadder is how some can be rather callous toward the mother.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:50 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Play dumb games. Win dumb prizes.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Very sad. This could have happened at 7 or 8pm so curfew is not really a huge factor here. What is sadder is how some can be rather callous toward the mother.
She may have been more visible to the driver at 7PM. And yeah, I'm callous towards parents that leave their 12 year olds unattended at 11:30 PM. Color me a mean old battleaxe. Don't have kids if you're not ready to put them first. Every day.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:19 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakssa View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if the mother 1)has several more children 2) is on gov't assistance 3) had children before she was even 16. 4) is pregnant.
She had 5 kids. This was her only daughter that she "loved so much" that she allowed her to be out practically in the middle of the night, making stupid choices that cost her her life.

Look for a BBQ plate sale soon.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
I was driving on 410 going east on saturday around 7-8 and noticed a crowd gathering around the access road then I saw a news van arrive. I didnt think much of it til I was reading woai.com. I just cant beleive it. I always drop my 12 year old daughter off at the skating rink on bandera and her and her friends always seem to have a good time. I always arrive 15-30 mintues early to pick them up. I usually go around 9:45/10:00. I just can't believe her mother let her out at 11:30. I have noticed that there are always a few bad kids hanging around the rink afterwards just throwing rocks at each other and running around like crazy. Very unfortunante and heartbreaking.
Gimp

My 13-yr-old son goes to that skating rink on Bandera Road, and we always tell him to sit tight if for any reason we are not there to pick him up after it closes. So far that hasn't happened, as my wife and I make it a point to be early; but he has his cell phone and knows we are on our way.

I sometimes wonder if we are too strict and controlling with our boys, but when I read stories like this I think it is better to be a little overbearing than to let kids that age run loose, especially late at night.

I was just talking about this to my Mom last night, and how things have changed since I was my son's age. Back then (around the Bicentennial), we would be out on our bikes during the evening, but we still had to be home by 9:00 and we never ventured too far out of the neighborhood. Obviously this was back before cell phones and we never thought to call on a pay phone to check in with our parents, and I wonder how they could handle not really knowing what we were out doing.

We got our son a cell phone as soon as we felt he was mature enough to have one, and it does help. Sure, he may be texting his friends all the time on it; but when he's out at least we have a way to get in touch with him.

My heart does go out to this young girl's mother and family, I know they would never want this to happen but in my opinion they did not do enough to prevent it. Why the girls were crossing the access road is beyond me, it makes me wonder if they were going to try and cross 410 next! It's a sad loss all the way around and the most tragic part of it all is that it was all so easily avoidable!

Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 AM

778 posts, read 2,503,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Gimp

I sometimes wonder if we are too strict and controlling with our boys, but when I read stories like this I think it is better to be a little overbearing than to let kids that age run loose, especially late at night.
Amen to that. I look at my two kids - both successful young adults without juvenile records - and thank goodness that my wife and I had the instincts to be strict and controlling when many of their friends/classmates were allowed to wander the streets at all hours.

I certainly don't know the full details of this family and am sorry for their loss, but I do know that my son or daughter would have never been in that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio