Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
that look hispanic
What does a Hispanic look like again?

*scratches head in confusion*

(:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,928,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
FYI,
there's also people women that marry hispanic and have names like Ana Garcia and have 0 hispanic blood in them.

There's also other people, like Italians, Native Americans, mixed black-white that look hispanic and are not.
Ana Garcia is NOT Hispanic? It still seems to me that SA is not is ethnically diverse as it should be for TV anchors, nor national TV for that matter. It is a fact that minority actors are often relegated to the weekend slots. Look at Lester Holt, Carol ???, talented attractive black anchors that are not selected to be the evening anchors on the major networks. I don't think that Brian Williams is any more qualified than Lester Holt, yet BW got the nod.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If that is so, how come it was never the practice of TV stations to hire Hispanics back in the 70s and 80s? Corpus Christi (my hometown), despite having a large mex-american popul didn't have a mex american anchor until the early 80s (Lily Flores Vela). I don't see 1/2 representation in SA for that matter in today's world despite the fact that SA is over 1/2 mex american. I don't mind it as long as I know that mex americans are given the chance.
I'm not sure when it became the law. I wasn't working at a TV station in the 70s and most of the 80s. It could be that those stations were meeting the requirement by hiring minorities for off-air positions that you wouldn't have been able to see.

But I do have first-hand experience with this law. I was told by a manager at one station I worked at in the late 80s that I (a non-minority) would not be considered for an open position I inquired about because the manager's boss told him that he had to hire a minority.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:57 PM

27 posts, read 42,184 times
Are the Spurs racist?

Old 09-08-2010, 06:37 PM

18,044 posts, read 25,080,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodiesel4x4 View Post
Minorities that are given positions of authority will consistantly abuse that authority. Have a black person in a hiring position over a certain area whithin the company? They only hire blacks. And this is with a pool of extremely qualified candidates and are well known to my wife who has been at the company for nearly 40 years. And yes, most of the candidates are white. But, guess who gets hired?
Here's my problem...
(1) Yes, all racism is wrong, that's why I don't like the term "reverse racism"

(2) In my opinion, a person that says "This company is racist because they have too many of those people" That person is racist. His only argument is that he saw "too many of them". Just like Dave78239 did with this post.

Most of the people that go around saying "They are racists" have absolutely no proof of it.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,393,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodiesel4x4 View Post
It's reverse discrimination these days. The product of Affirmative Action. I have experienced it myself while job hunting and my wife, who works for a major company, experiences it daily. I've been on several interviews where all the employees were hispanic or black. I was more than qualified for the job. Did I get one of these jobs where all the employees were of the same race? Of course not. Was I expecting to get the job? Not really.

My wife has seen reverse discrimination at work. Minorities that are given positions of authority will consistantly abuse that authority. Have a black person in a hiring position over a certain area whithin the company? They only hire blacks. And this is with a pool of extremely qualified candidates and are well known to my wife who has been at the company for nearly 40 years. And yes, most of the candidates are white. But, guess who gets hired?

Guess what?

I'm a Latino male and I've experienced discrimination from a former illegal alien male employee who interviewed me.

Two years ago, I interviewed for a position with a man who grew up in Ecuador and came to the United States illegally as a teenager (he told me about this during the interview and how he moved up from a busboy to a general manager blah blah blah).

One of the questions he asked me during the interview is whether I spoke Spanish. I was honest. I told him I spoke enough Spanish "to get by" but that I didn't speak it fluently.

He went on to ask other questions about where I grew up, where I was from and whether I grew up with anyone speaking Spanish in my household. I could tell by his "body language" that he seemed displeased that as a Latino person, I was not "fluent" in his first language.

By contrast, I interviewed with another manager at the same company: a caucasian male. This guy was awesome! He didn't care if I didn't speak Spanish fluently; he never even asked if I did or not. He loved my resume, my drive and my ambition. He was ready to bring me on board. But Mr. Ecuador was not.

So even Latinos who DON'T speak Spanish get discriminated against even for jobs that are NOT even advertised as bilingual jobs. If they would have said that they needed someone FULLY bilingual, I would have never applied!

That former illegal alien was just mad because I didn't speak his language well enough. Booo-hoo for him. I'm an American first and foremost and I grew up speaking English as my primary language.

WE experience discrimination as well in other ways so think about that!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:18 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,362,510 times
Default I am so happy,

Thanks for explaining this to all the hispanics in S.A. It is all so confusing you have cleared it all up for me. I appreciate it.QUOTE=Merovee;15784189]Just wanted to add tht Hispanic also does not refer to race either since Hispanics can be of any race though most in San Antonio are mestizo.

On another note it has been a while since I have skimmed past a Spanish-language newscast but in general most of the people appearing on Spanish-language television are white or appear to be regardless of what they are speaking.

Finally I wonder how many of the "Hispanics" on the newscast that the OP mentioned are actually representative of the local population? Just because someone is "Hispanic" does not mean they represent the local population since a Cuban from Florida, a Puerto Rican from the East Coast, and a Mexican from Texas do not really have much in common with each other much less with those from Central or South America.

It really does not matter in the end since most newscasters if not all are Americans.[/quote]

Old 09-08-2010, 07:27 PM

226 posts, read 558,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Guess what?

I'm a Latino male and I've experienced discrimination from a former illegal alien male employee who interviewed me.

Two years ago, I interviewed for a position with a man who grew up in Ecuador and came to the United States illegally as a teenager (he told me about this during the interview and how he moved up from a busboy to a general manager blah blah blah).

One of the questions he asked me during the interview is whether I spoke Spanish. I was honest. I told him I spoke enough Spanish "to get by" but that I didn't speak it fluently.

He went on to ask other questions about where I grew up, where I was from and whether I grew up with anyone speaking Spanish in my household. I could tell by his "body language" that he seemed displeased that as a Latino person, I was not "fluent" in his first language.

By contrast, I interviewed with another manager at the same company: a caucasian male. This guy was awesome! He didn't care if I didn't speak Spanish fluently; he never even asked if I did or not. He loved my resume, my drive and my ambition. He was ready to bring me on board. But Mr. Ecuador was not.

So even Latinos who DON'T speak Spanish get discriminated against even for jobs that are NOT even advertised as bilingual jobs. If they would have said that they needed someone FULLY bilingual, I would have never applied!

That former illegal alien was just mad because I didn't speak his language well enough. Booo-hoo for him. I'm an American first and foremost and I grew up speaking English as my primary language.

I totally agree with you. It can happen to anyone at any time. My point was that it just doesn't happen to minorities anymore. I think a lot of whites are beginning to experience what minorities have experienced for a long time. Maybe this is a good thing. But, only if whites are given an equal and fair chance. A lot of the times they're not. I think a lot of people feel it's payback time, but that's never a good way to handle things.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:33 PM

Default Stange isn't it,

Foreign hispanics do discriminate against native born hispanics. Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Guess what?

Old 09-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Default Chimpanzees.......

Should be used as anchorpeople, they could use sign language
to televise the news. After all is it not discrimination against a disability
against one who cannot speak, where are the animal rights activists for this being?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I'm still waiting for the first dolphin newscaster! There are too many humans on the news in San Antonio! How come they won't hire a qualified dolphin!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio