Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:42 AM

191 posts, read 454,051 times

Advertisements

Speaking of driving through floods, I just remembered this little gem from my husband's Academy days, lol. I was out visiting Annapolis for the Ring Dance, and I was driving our rental around the grounds, which were of course flooded. They had Midshipmen Notthesharpest Tackinthebox out directing traffic, and he had everyone driving off of the dry pavement on to the flooded pavement. I stopped and told him that it was stupid to drive through flooded roads, and I wasn't driving our rental through that, and he got all over-inflated with self importance and refused to listen, cause he had to be right. Idiot. They're lucky they don't have more family cars being swept in to the bay there considering that they throw any unlucky 17 year old Midshipmen they can find out there to direct traffic.

I hope my husband gets home OK from work this afternoon. He worked all night, so he's coming home about lunch time, and I know he is going to be very tired, and he's got this teeny little commuting car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
Here is a list of street closures. It's updated in real time:

PDDTW100 - Street Closure Data

and here are accidents (not low water crossing related but weather related....

PDDTP100 - Active Traffic Report

Old 09-07-2010, 10:54 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Because so many new people read this forum, I thought I'd say something about low water crossings. They are actually mis-named. They are low areas in the road for water to cross in rainey weather. In the San Antonio area many "low" water crossings are still in what is now busy roads and populated areas.
Those should be called "High Water When Wet". Do not go into a low water crossing when water is present. We are going to have some very serious rains in the next day or two. Do not go around barriers, do not go into water that is moving across the road. Flash floods come on so fast you will not know what hit you.
Every time we have heavy rains there is a story about someone going through a water crossing and drowning. Be aware of what a low water crossing means. Low water crossings means it becomes a river when it rains the way it is going to rain in San Antonio and surrounding areas. Cars and SUVs and vans DO NOT FLOAT.
I'l get off my soapbox now.
Thanks for the reminder. I had a girlfriend who nearly drowned in her car last year, car was totaled, when she approached an area known for high water. The water was not at a dangerous level yet but as she proceeded there was a flash flood that roared toward her. She grabbed her cat (power went out at her apt. and she was headed to a friend's) and kicked out her window at the opposite side of the flow. Anyway, I'll spare the rest of the details but it's a good reminder that even if there is a chance of a flash flood - turn around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio