Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 08:21 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
probably do put on my pants just like you do however I don't get my underpants in a twist.
Um, yeah ya do. I've seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 08:36 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Um, yeah ya do. I've seen it.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:04 AM

262 posts, read 433,502 times
The OP raises an interesting question, though. It would be my GUESS that the socioeconomics followed the architecture to some degree. That is, much of the area consisted of solid blocks of quality and harmonious construction. Using a dental metaphor, it would seem that as some of the individual teeth (houses) rotted over the decades, they were patched, repaired, or replaced in random fashion, which gave these neighborhoods a spotty appearance. I would think that historical designation has helped to curb this deterioration.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:37 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,054 times
Regardless of what sort of living arrangement you prefer, the following is true about new subdivisions:

A) They're mass-produced (as opposed to individually designed)

B) They're defined/delineated by narrow price-points (as opposed to offering a wide-range of home prices)

C) They're exclusively single-family (as opposed to including multifamily and retail uses)

I understand there are plenty of people that wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood like mine. But neighborhoods like MV/OP "work" because, like me, there are plenty of folks that value the wide range of prices/uses. Within two blocks of my house, we have $1mm houses, $200k houses, $650/month for-rent apartments, schools, shops, restaurants, etc. And guess what happens when that's the case? You have professionals, doctors, soldiers, students, teachers, artists, journalists, and just about everyone else interacting with one another. I think it's cool, even if it means that, at times, elements of our neighborhoods can be "unpredictable".

Old 09-25-2010, 10:45 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Regardless of what sort of living arrangement you prefer, the following is true about new subdivisions:

B) They're defined/delineated by narrow price-points (as opposed to offering a wide-range of home prices)

C) They're exclusively single-family (as opposed to including multifamily and retail uses)

I understand there are plenty of people that wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood like mine. But neighborhoods like MV/OP "work" because, like me, there are plenty of folks that value the wide range of prices/uses. Within two blocks of my house, we have $1mm houses, $200k houses, $650/month for-rent apartments, schools, shops, restaurants, etc. And guess what happens when that's the case? You have professionals, doctors, soldiers, students, teachers, artists, journalists, and just about everyone else interacting with one another. I think it's cool, even if it means that, at times, elements of our neighborhoods can be "unpredictable".
Well said. You couldn't have explained it any better. Now if I can only convince you how wonderful mid-century homes are.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:49 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
I concur - thing is, while you present an excellent point as to why it works *for you*, you don't then go into a tirade against others who do *not* like that style of living. And that's the key - understanding that what works for one doesn't for another. Personally, I prefer to live on 50+ acres - my wife, she's a subdivision type. We compromised with a subdivision house w/a half-acre lot....and LOTS of "toy room" for me.<G>

Old 09-25-2010, 11:16 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Well said. You couldn't have explained it any better. Now if I can only convince you how wonderful mid-century homes are.
I wouldn't hold your breath. (smiley emoticon)

Old 09-25-2010, 04:00 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Quote:

Just as I thought that this conversation was a discussion of mixed-used development versus single-use zoning.

Cookie cutters also pose a danger of some sort in case of an urban disaster, most of them, especially newer subdivisions, consist of nothing but row after row of houses without any businesses of any type nearby. In many of these places the bus stop will be only at the very entrance which can be a long way from the houses in the back of the subdivision.

It just seems like a wasteland but the greatest travesty is that people have no choice but to only rely on cars.

Some of these newer subdivisions are also just not being built outside the loop either, there is one huge tract of housing near Brooks City Base that has only been up for a couple of years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
People who live in Lavaca, et al,

Do YOU have any knowledge of the area?
My grandfather used to own a business not far south of Lavaca so I have been in that area quite a few times. I grew up partially in a church that used to be on Roosevelt, no actually St. Marys, just a few blocks from Brack where a few of my family members went to school back in the 1980's.

Me and my wife just passed through that area the other day when we out for a random drive.

We also ended up at a panaderia, something not many suburbs will have I'm guessing, but it was actually when I drove down S. Presa, exactly in Lavaca, when I was suddenly inspired to write the following piece, which I now feel encouraged to share with you all:

Wandering to the bakery

I want to get lost with you
In the car in a conversation
Into the wind in any direction
Until sunsets become shadows
On the bad side of town
You begin pointing around
Sharing your childhood memories
I'm thinking I'm finally happy now

These type of buildings and houses
Are hard to still be found
That is not the way they want it
On quiet streets with no sound
They are here even now
People from the other side
Who want to tell you hi
They are living their life

Do not tell them they are gone
When they have been here all along
They only want to be your friend
Holding out a hand they drown
In modern times they can't understand
We think we do but we're wrong
Life is like how it's always been
We can't return but we do live on

Anyways as much as I know we cannot go on as a society using cars as a chief mode of transportation and that in the future neighborhoods will have mostly all you need within walking distance, as much as I know that is also better for the environment, I do love cars, and shopping, so I have nothing against the suburbs, their way of life, or especially the better stores that can only be found nearer some of them.

We drive lots all over town but luckily there are quite a few businesses up and down Broadway and near North Star that serve us well for the most part without having to drive too much further but I don't mind going all the way to 1604 to shop either.

Some people need to get over themselves and quit thinking every discussion is a class conflict, it is not, and while some can still discuss differences that does not mean anyone is looking down at the suburbs...btw the new Arcade Fire album is nice!

Old 09-25-2010, 04:34 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
I think it's nice: I know a CEO of a well known Medical Company who lives in the Monte Vista area. He likes being there and makes no excuses and has gotten some flack from other colleagues about why he lives there. He said something about being close to the people he serves. He likes to be able to go to the nearby taqueria and see his neighbor, a working class guy on his way to the welding shop. He even contracted him to do some railing at his home .

Old 09-25-2010, 05:00 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,707 times
Have these colleagues BEEN to Monte Vista? Why in heaven's name would they think he had to make excuses for living in MV? It isn't like he's living in a crackhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio