Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:47 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times

Advertisements

OMG you guys are cracking me up! I love every answer in this thread. I figure it's got to be the lack of light and perhaps someone's garbage isn't sealed well. We also have a few cats in the 'hood and I have no doubt they've run into them before.

Thanks y'all....I think we will probably be installing some motion lights in the back since we're close to the edge of the subdvision and the woods are right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 09:32 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,815 times
Ok I get to tell my skunk story!. I was living in an apartment on Fulton near San Pedro-right down town. One day I saw a skunk go under the apartments--there were eight apartments on two stories. I didn't think much of it and really kinda thought it was neat to have wild animals so close to town. Then things started happening. You could hear more than one in the walls and they would make a lot of noise and then they would spray and the whole complex would reek. We told the Landlord but he didn't live there and thought we were hearing rats, so he set rat traps which the skunks would set off to eat the bait. We,the tenants , tried our luck. We tried Mothballs, have-a-heart traps (we kept catching cats-never a skunk) ,and some commercial repellants over several months. We tried blocking up any holes. Then some of us started moving out--the skunks were winning! The Lady upstairs had a friend who was a hunter. He came over with some traps that don't have a heart at all and a 22 rifle. On the day I left he was up to 12 skunks and counting. 5 or 6 years later I was watching the ten o clock news and they were reporting on a skunk infested apartment complex near downtown. It was those same apartments!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
You could always elect 'em to congress - they'd be right at home!

Old 09-12-2010, 12:45 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Ok I get to tell my skunk story!. I was living in an apartment on Fulton near San Pedro-right down town. One day I saw a skunk go under the apartments--there were eight apartments on two stories. I didn't think much of it and really kinda thought it was neat to have wild animals so close to town. Then things started happening. You could hear more than one in the walls and they would make a lot of noise and then they would spray and the whole complex would reek. We told the Landlord but he didn't live there and thought we were hearing rats, so he set rat traps which the skunks would set off to eat the bait. We,the tenants , tried our luck. We tried Mothballs, have-a-heart traps (we kept catching cats-never a skunk) ,and some commercial repellants over several months. We tried blocking up any holes. Then some of us started moving out--the skunks were winning! The Lady upstairs had a friend who was a hunter. He came over with some traps that don't have a heart at all and a 22 rifle. On the day I left he was up to 12 skunks and counting. 5 or 6 years later I was watching the ten o clock news and they were reporting on a skunk infested apartment complex near downtown. It was those same apartments!
Wow. That IS a skunk story!! Holy cow...

Old 09-13-2010, 06:39 PM

My Mom and Dad live in Dellview right close to the Catholic Church. He is in his eighties now and I am helping him get rid of stuff he will never use. Skunks moved in around March. This is September now and he tells me he has finally gotten rid of them.. I bet they will show up again!

Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 PM

Oh Just rembered what I was gonna tell you that you need to do to get rid of Skunks. GET A DOG !! so simple !!Get a good one --not some stupid wimpy dog. DOGS HATE SKUNKS and SKUNKS HATE DOGS. END OF THREAD!!

Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 AM

204 posts, read 940,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
Oh Just rembered what I was gonna tell you that you need to do to get rid of Skunks. GET A DOG !! so simple !!Get a good one --not some stupid wimpy dog. DOGS HATE SKUNKS and SKUNKS HATE DOGS. END OF THREAD!!
Great advice if you don't mind your dog getting blasted.

My advice would be to find a very attractive female skunk that would distract the skunk you're having problems with.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:34 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,440 times
honestly, my admin at the office says her slingshot works pretty well. but she has been known to throw a chancla or two. man her stories are the best!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,712,823 times
Default "Stinkaz?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
You could always elect 'em to congress - they'd be right at home!
Haha.....good one.....

"It could probably be shown in facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." -Mark Twain

Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM

If your dog gets blasted --he will only let it happen once. Then you get to make Dog tomato soup. I have tried it but I don't really think it works and the dog hates it. Probaly better than nothing at all! You may not believe this but my sister had a pet skunk when we were kids. It was not that great of a pet but we would feed it Cicidias that we shot with our BB guns..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio