Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:05 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times

Advertisements

We have a definite skunk problem in our neighborhood. I don't know if it's 1 or a dozen, but about once a week something or someone gets blasted nearby by a skunk and the smell makes its way into our house. Any good skunk deterrents or advice out there? It is just atrocious! Pee-yooo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 09:17 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
We had one a few months ago, he made a nice hangout spot in our front yard behind the boxwoods at night. They do move on, but for a few weeks we had to go outside ahead of the dog and make sure the skunk wasn't around. Short of a shotgun, I would just say wait it out and it will split after a little while. I think he left because the cats in the neighborhood love to pee in the mulch in my front yard.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Cream of Onion soup, but you can't find it anywhere!

Don't they like to forage through trash, or is that just those nasty possums and pesky ( yet stinkin' cute ) raccoons? Maybe someone is leaving their trash cans out, accessible to the varmints. We have them in our neighborhood, too.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:05 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Don't they like to forage through trash, or is that just those nasty possums and pesky ( yet stinkin' cute ) raccoons? Maybe someone is leaving their trash cans out, accessible to the varmints. We have them in our neighborhood, too.
Yep. i think keeping everything clean so they don't have a reason to hang out by the house is the only way to ensure that they don't stay around.

We had a skunk come by a few days ago. We had our dogs skunked twice within a week of each other about a year ago so we hauled everyone inside and closed the windows ASAP. Just be careful.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:24 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,712,930 times
Default "Pepe LePew?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Don't they like to forage through trash, or is that just those nasty possums and pesky ( yet stinkin' cute ) raccoons? Maybe someone is leaving their trash cans out, accessible to the varmints.
That's exactly what I was also thinking.......

Old 09-12-2010, 12:04 AM

948 posts, read 1,842,093 times

I keed, I keed. They're actually good for the area because of what they eat but man they pack a wallop. My dogs to sprayed once and we let them come back in before we knew what happened. It so bad I actually got sent home from work the next day because my jacket, which was in a closet in another room of the house, smelled so bad. It took about 9 months for the smell to completely go away. The second time they ended up killing one but they didn't get sprayed.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:39 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Bright light - Skunks are nocturnal and prefer to stay hidden, flooding an area with light can be an effective deterrent. Use flood lights in combination with motion sensors.
Automated sprinklers - Contech manufactures a device called 'The Scarecrow' which is essentially a sprinkler attached to a motion sensor that will spray any animals that wander into your yard.
Spicy pepper solutions - Pepper sprays are reported to work well but must be reapplied every few days to remain effective.
Commercial repellents - There are many available types, people have also reported success with dog and cat repellents.

Skunk barriers

The good: Skunks are horrible climbers and they can't jump very high.
The bad: Skunks can fit through openings as small as 4" and they're good diggers.
Strategy: Erect barriers around areas that skunks may find interesting in order to keep them out.
Skunks will make homes underneath houses, sheds, decks, and other above-ground structures. Seal them off as well as possible - remember that they can fit through holes as small as 4 inches.

Forcing skunks out
Sprinkle a light layer of flour, chalk, or other white powder around it's den and wait until nightfall. After dark, return and look for tracks and then get to work sealing up all of the entrances.

Have fun!!!

Old 09-12-2010, 01:14 AM

324 posts, read 1,308,542 times
tossing mothballs under buildings helps - skunks don't like them and go away.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:13 AM

948 posts, read 1,842,093 times
fox ****

Old 09-12-2010, 08:12 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
We have a definite skunk problem in our neighborhood. I don't know if it's 1 or a dozen, but about once a week something or someone gets blasted nearby by a skunk and the smell makes its way into our house. Any good skunk deterrents or advice out there? It is just atrocious! Pee-yooo!
Wow Mom2Feebs! Normally you give me good advice and I have none for you...maybe just roll it up and enjoy a good hit off of it? Just Joking... I kid I kid......

I hope those buggers move along skunk smell is hard to get rid off. Mr. X friend had a dog that got sprayed and supposedly they used tomato juice to get rid of the scent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio