Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 02:09 PM

40 posts, read 227,457 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to SA very soon. I watch the SA news online almost everyday and seem to hear alot of bad things like people getting killed, home invasions, car break ins and those kind of things.

Is it just becuase the news only reports the bad stuff or does it really feel unsafe living there on a daily basis? Any insight you can provide would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 02:20 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,244,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuapower927 View Post
We will be moving to SA very soon. I watch the SA news online almost everyday and seem to hear alot of bad things like people getting killed, home invasions, car break ins and those kind of things.
It sucks, but that is what sells, everywhere. News stations around the country use their 30 minutes (sometimes an hour) to over sensationalize negative events.

But rest assure, SA is one of the safest cities in the country. Also, sex crimes are down as well as violent crimes.

Quote:
Is it just becuase the news only reports the bad stuff or does it really feel unsafe living there on a daily basis?
Welcome to "Telling the News 101." Michael Moore was on Oprah a couple of years ago talking about the media "Scaring" people for ratings.

Believe me, as a life long San Antonian, the city is safe, sure there are the run down areas of the city (mostly pockets of the inner city) but overall it's a very safe big city.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:34 PM

210 Thank you. It feels good to hear it from a native. I have 2 small children and 1 on the way and I am always concerned for their safety.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:09 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,673,809 times
Default Property Crimes

The biggest crimes in San Antonio are property crimes. Don't leave valuables in plain sight when you park your car and don't leave your garage open all day (especially in areas where new homes are being built).

Most of the killings are "passion" crimes. You have a better chance of getting hit by a drunk driver than being killed.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:14 AM

11 posts, read 56,534 times
Default checking on crime data

From personal experience, I can provide some insight reference crime info since you are looking at relocating to an area where you have never lived.

When you get closer to your move date to SA, narrow it down to a couple of neighborhoods you are interested in. You mentioned having children, so I would suggest you query the school system about the particular schools they will be attending (drop out rates, test scores, violent incidents, etc). Then when you know what neighborhoods you like, contact the SAPD and request crime stats for those neighborhoods. This is public information, and you may find some of it online on the PD website broken down by neighborhood. If not, their Public Information Office will have it.

Having done such research, (and personally spoken with local law enforcement officials) I agree with what everyone else here is telling you: that SA is overall a very safe city with some small pockets of higher crime areas. The key for you is not to live in one of those pockets or even adjacent to one of them!

Also, the PD will have crime data for schools too...

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2006, 08:49 AM

Steelman: Thank you. That makes alot of sense.

Davehduc: I appreciate the good advice.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:42 PM

944 posts, read 3,064,196 times
Hello there,

Please keep in mind that this site (in my opinion) tends to be frequented mostly by those who will NEVER ever say anything negative about San Antonio, regardless of the topic. For crime and other ratings, please see the Places Rated Almanac that rates almost three hundred American cities along several criteria. That source (not my opinion) rated San Antonio as being the WORST city in America for crime, of all three hundred cities rated. I'm sure that pointing this up does not make me very popular, but hey...

Old 11-06-2006, 09:56 PM

328 posts, read 240,225 times
It's amazing though, if you look at other state and city forums, there are a LOT of negative comments on almost all of them...yet it is the general consensus (especially from people who live there) that San Antonio is an excellent city to reside in...in all aspects. I know, we lived there for over ten years.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:02 PM

944 posts, read 3,064,196 times
Oh, I do agree that SA has a lot to offer your average person. I just tend to have a different set of sensibilities, and it's reading and commenting on sites like this that make me realize how out of the mainstream I am

Old 11-06-2006, 10:06 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,244,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Hello there,

Please keep in mind that this site (in my opinion) tends to be frequented mostly by those who will NEVER ever say anything negative about San Antonio, regardless of the topic. For crime and other ratings, please see the Places Rated Almanac that rates almost three hundred American cities along several criteria. That source (not my opinion) rated San Antonio as being the WORST city in America for crime, of all three hundred cities rated. I'm sure that pointing this up does not make me very popular, but hey...
Places Rated Almanac?

Why not try the FBI? What about city crime reports?

San Antonio has time and time been listed as a very safe city. Sure there are pockets of crime within the inner city.

But to claim people who post here would never say anything is bad is absurd. You're the one who seems bent on distorting the truth in regards to San Antonio.

Every post you've ever made in this forum has put a negative spin on San Antonio. Everyone else is objective, saying things like "yes there's crime but generally its a safe city." however, you come around and belittle the posters and then say San Antonio is the most dangerous city... out of 300! My god is that the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I'll tell that to my aunt living in Houston who tells our familiy of the fear she lives in on the northside of Houston. She even tells us of how during the Christmas holidays at malls in the parking garages, people wait underneath your car and when you go to open the door grab your feet and pull you down and rob you. I'm not trying to insult the city of Houston (i find it a nice city) but that's just one example of something I've never even heard done in San Antonio. Yet some how we're the most dangerous city in the nation. Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio