Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:11 AM

923 posts, read 1,494,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio has over 1.4 million not 1.144 that was 10 years ago. You listed new stats for Austin and old stats for S.A.
Good catch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 01:45 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,083,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Apples to Oranges in that Gross Domestic Product and Cost of Living are not one in the same.

"GDP by metropolitan area is derived as the sum of the GDP originating in all the industries in the metropolitan area. Real GDP by metropolitan area is an inflation-adjusted measure based on national prices for the goods and services produced within the metropolitan area."

The fact that the cost of real estate is higher in Austin than in SA has to do with the fact that it is more desirable in a free market and also the effect of people with higher incomes bidding up (appreciating) the values. Yes you can argue that you get more for a dollar in SA than in Austin, however.

Using old figures or new it still looks like Austin had more college grads with fewer in population. I'll have to watch the year as well as the geography (city vs. MSA) next time quoting these.................

How about metro total personal Income? San Antonio metro of about 350-400k more people than Austin and yet has a 12-13 billion more in personal income. San Antonio gained over 2 billion dollars between 2008-2009 in personal income and Austin lost 1 billion.

San Antonio is at 71-72 Billion and Austin at 59-60 billion. Indianapolis is at 66 billion. Orlando at 71 Billion. Las Vegas at 71 Billion. Charlotte 66 billion. Milwaukee 65 billion. Columbus, Oh 68 Billion.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi...df/mpi0810.pdf

Old 09-17-2010, 04:18 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,698,490 times
Quote:
How about metro total personal Income? San Antonio metro of about 350-400k more people than Austin and yet has a 12-13 billion more in personal income. San Antonio gained over 2 billion dollars between 2008-2009 in personal income and Austin lost 1 billion.

San Antonio is at 71-72 Billion and Austin at 59-60 billion. Indianapolis is at 66 billion. Orlando at 71 Billion. Las Vegas at 71 Billion. Charlotte 66 billion. Milwaukee 65 billion. Columbus, Oh 68 Billion.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regi...df/mpi0810.pdf
Even with SA catching up Austin is still ahead on per capita personal income at $35.5k versus $34.5k.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:26 PM

Don't get me wrong Austin has a lot to be proud of, but San Antonio is in no way in it's rear view mirror as some seem to think. San Antonio has a diversified economy that Austin just doesn't have, However, there are things that Austin is stronger in. As far a per capita income what really sets them apart is that San Antonio is more affordable especially in housing. And housing is the biggest expense for familes or singles.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:56 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,000,964 times
I went to high school in Round Rock and moved back and forth between Austin and Round Rock after I graduated for a few years. The only thing I didn't like about Austin was the traffic. My list is a lot longer here of things I don't like but to each their own. The only way you will know which one you like better is to stay here a few days- but not at a touristy place. While you are here check out the areas you are interested in and stay in hotels around them. Visit the grocery stores, watch the local news and read the local papers.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:01 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,485,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
have you looked at Steiner Ranch?

Moderator cut: real estate link
since the link was deleted you can google it, nice area and nice homes.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:06 PM

52 posts, read 152,189 times
Perhaps Austin has a much higher college rate, but Austin also doesn't have a major part of town that is dominated by immigrants and is low-income. Sure, there is East Austin, but East Austin isn't even that bad. I traveled through East Austin all the time and never "needed to carry a gun with me." (Since East Austin is supposedly all ghetto and bad.)

Also, Austin is home to several major Universities. Though San Antonio has UTSA, the other universities are private and small. Studies have shown that lots of college graduates like to stay in the city they studied in.

I don't think we should worry too much about how many college graduates are in a city. It doesn't make a city better or worse. Also, different parts of town will have different stats. The college-attainment level in East Austin is probably much less than in North or South Austin. Likewise, NW San Antonio has a much higher attainment level than the southern part of town.

I was born and raised in Austin, and I will always love Austin more than SA. Downtown is so much more vibrant at night and there is a lot more to do at night. However, go to downtown Austin at night and I bet you won't see a single person under 16! Go to SA Riverwalk, even later at night, and you will see quite a lot of children. It's definitely a more family oriented town. So it depends on how people are. As a college student at UTSA, it seems like everyone I talk to goes to Austin for the weekend. My roommate(from College Station) does, and so do many of my friends who aren't even from Austin! But likewise, my younger cousins (aged 2-12) come to SA at least twice a year to go to like a theme part, the Riverwalk, Alamo, etc.

But all this debating about which city is better is kind of silly. When I told people I was going to UTSA, everyone told me I was going to hate San Antonio. Yet I love this town!! Likewise, I have heard people down-talk Austin yet when they go they love it! So it's all up to a person and their individual likings. There are pros and cons to both towns. Personally though, I can say that my perception of San Antonio has changed a lot, in a matter of weeks. I came here thinking it was going to be a terrible place(because everyone told me it was) but I quickly fell in love with it. Also, my best friend(who is also at UTSA but from Austin too) LOVES downtown San Antonio. She loved the Riverwalk when we went last night. I wasn't a huge fan of the Riverwalk last night, but she loved it.

Also, I do have to give San Antonio some credit... They are much more hospitable! Yesterday my friends and I just wanted some chips and salsa so we went to a restaurant along the Riverwalk(Iron Cactus) and just ordered Chips and Salsa. When we were ready to pay, they told us "it's okay, don't worry about it" so we got free chips/salsa! I don't think that would ever happen in Austin. Maybe it was mere coincidence that such happened, but I was highly impressed when they did that.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:55 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,328,040 times
Quote:
I have seen Austin's shopping and if your going to put Round Rock ahead because of cardboard cheap furniture from Ikea, good luck.
I have been to IKEA in Houston and not impressed, not my style. For the poor college student i'ts fine. There are rumors IKEA will be built here, whoopee.
Crate & Barrel is at the outlets so it's just minutes away. Hopefully they will add a Crate and Barrel in the city, I did like it. Pottery Barn Kids? HEHE.....

Austin has 3 malls, and I wouldn't put them on the level with La Cantera or North Star. A friend of mine from Austin commented on how he loves coming here to go shopping, much more options he says.
San Antonio has several Domain style developments and many more under construction. So Austin is not on the same level.

Just what is under construction and planned on I-10 corridor puts San Antonio at another level.

You gave dated stats for Austin and San Antonio higher college attainment. Fast foward 10 years. According to Forbes 2009 rankings, Austin is at 36% and San Antonio at 24%. 12% percent is not enough to even be noticeable.
Best Places For Business And Careers: #8 Austin TX - Forbes.com

San Antonio has it's share of chain restaurants I'm not going to deny that. But it also has more than i'ts share of fine dining and great calibur restraunts. Not to long ago San Antonio was the only Texas city that made Gourmet magazines top 50 U.S. restaurants. Just comparing downtown dining establishments between Austin and San Antonio, San Antonio would be the clear winner, more restaurants, it has hundreds of options and they are certainly not chain. San Antonio's downtown dining scene is much more sophisticated BY FAR.

Right away some people label downtown SA establishments just for tourists and thats further from the truth.

Live, work, play downtown.

Restaurants | Downtown Alliance San Antonio

I think we all just need to agree to disagree. Shopping "tastes" are subjective--for instance, I can't remember the last time I went to IKEA to buy furniture, but wow--some of the other stuff--amazing! Accessories, cookware, and just some fun, interesting things. I love to walk through the one in Houston. It's a blast!

While it would be nice to have a Crate & Barrel, I'm looking for more of the boutique stores found in Houston, Austin, and Dallas. North Star Mall--now THAT'S something I personally was NOT impressed with. To each his own, I guess.

I do love La Cantera, but HATE all those steps, especially with the stroller. Ugh.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:38 PM

This may help your boutique craving . 127 listings for San Antonio boutiques.

San Antonio Boutiques in San Antonio TX Yellow Pages by SuperPages

I don't know if this is your style.
Shopping at The Shops at Artisans Alley (http://www.artisansalley.com/shopping.html - broken link)

Austin listings 63 boutiques.
Boutiques (Results 1 - 17 of 63)*~*Boutiques austin, tx Austin TX*~*Simple Search ~ Superpages.com: Yellow Pages

Old 09-19-2010, 04:57 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,884,973 times
Bath n Body Works? Claire's? WTF? Those are not true boutiques, please. I quit looking after seeing Claire's. I'm almost afraid Wal-Mart will be on the list of 127 "boutiques".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio