Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 08:47 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

"Among the various delayed celebrations is a unique event planned for Sept. 19 in which, for the first time, the Muslim community is organizing Eid Festival 2010, an open-door celebration, inviting all people to join and experience the festivities with their Muslim neighbors, friends and colleagues.

This event will be held at the Maverick Plaza in La Villita in downtown San Antonio from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Entrance is kept free for easy access.

The organizing entity, the Muslim Cultural Heritage Society, is a nonpolitical, nonreligious, nonprofit organization. It was formulated to exchange ideas, learn from its heritage, give back to the community, contribute to charity, unite its members and share its best practices with the community at large.

The purpose of organizing Eid Festival 2010 is to showcase the lifestyles of the rainbow of cultures within the diverse Muslim community to the larger community of which they are a part.

Presentations will showcase a variety of international foods, crafts, clothing, jewelry and games of various social and ethnic origins, besides lectures, cultural show and social service opportunities."

The last time I checked this harmless invitation there was no word about MANDATORY attendance. Who feels like going should go, others might go somewhere else. Seems like a simple choice to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 08:50 PM

574 posts, read 1,338,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Perhaps they could "educate" themselves of our culture since they are living in our country. Hmmm?
If they are citizens this is THEIR COUNTRY, as well.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
I hope there is shawarma and lots of authentic pink pickled radish. Extra garlic sauce and a tub of hummus! I miss Dearborn, MI...tons of kebab and shawarma spots, totally authentic.

Off topic.. if anyone knows a good shawarma spot in the city, please share...TY
My son likes the shawarma at a little hole-in-the-wall at Bandera and Eckhert--it's on the corner of the little strip mall across from the convenience store. It has changed names and I can't remember what it's called now. Sorry.

I've never eaten here......but at Babcock and Huebner there is a Firehouse Subs (mmmmm yummm) but on the corner of that center ( 2 or 3 doors down from Firehouse) there is an international store and they sell shawarma. I would bet it's good.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
To simply expect those who disagree to remain silent does no one a service though. How will we ever know where we stand as a country if we cannot discuss it openly and hopefully grow?
Absolutely! The beauty of city-data though is we have tons of threads to discuss politics and/or great debates, religion, etc.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I know that a picture is not enough to know what something would taste like.
So here's a video of a lady making Shawarma.

When I had it, I didn't have it as a pita sandwich, I had it on a plate, with yellow rice and pita bread on the side.

YouTube - Shawarma 101 (HD)

Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,646,222 times
A quick search popped up Pasha Mediterranean Grill, Jerusalem Grill, Shishi Cafe or Zaki Restaurant. You could call around and ask if they do that. What I do best from international world cuisine is couscous...and lasagna also, of course. Daughter's family doesn't live in the area anymore so they miss my version of couscous.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:56 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
A quick search popped up Pasha Mediterranean Grill, Jerusalem Grill, Shishi Cafe or Zaki Restaurant. You could call around and ask if they do that. What I do best from international world cuisine is couscous...and lasagna also, of course. Daughter's family doesn't live in the area anymore so they miss my version of couscous.

Zaki is closed and gone. The first owner had a great food, and then things went downhill from there ...
Bad location contributed...

Old 09-16-2010, 10:41 PM

111 posts, read 284,877 times
>>I would not worry about that. The Muslims who are putting together this festival are from San Antonio and know exactly how friendly we are. They are us.<<

Bingo. As the president so eloquently put it last week, "We don't differentiate between 'them' and 'us'...there is just us." (Link: Faith in Public Life :: Bold Faith Type)

The point being, Muslims are as much a part of the fabric of America as any Christian, any Buddhist, any Jew, any religion, any atheist. This fabric of many different threads are part of what make the United States such a great country, and it saddens me (but does not surprise me) to see some of the negative and divisive reactions in this thread.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:45 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I realize in recent history that others have killed in the name of other religions/beliefs, but never to the level of wholesale slaughter that has taken place in the past 9 years
Christianity, since its inception, has lead the slaughter of millions and millions of people "in the name of God" as well.

In his book, “Holy Horrors: An Illustrated History of Religious Murder and Madness,” James A. Haught chronicles a thousand years of religious hate ranging from the witch hunts, to the numerous crusades, to the Holy Inquisition, to the religious anti-Semitic influence that later fueled the Holocaust.

Haught says, “Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of the coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites.”

Furthermore, theologian Richard Rubenstein wrote that the Nazis “did not invent a new villain…they took over the 2,000-year-old Christian tradition of the Jew as a villain."

Now, don't get me wrong. Religion has done a lot of good as well. But all too often people don't really like to talk about the history and past because of some really bad things that happened.

Regardless, I have no desire to attend this ceremony or any other religious ceremony (I believe in God but choose to be non-denominational). But we shouldn't ostracize (I'm not saying you are doing this, just saying in general) any one particular group.

We have enough intolerance in the world that perpetuates homophobia, racism, gender inequality and religious intolerance.

And, hey, at least Muslims don't knock on your door Sunday mornings and bother you like "one" of the other religions out there who believe that ONLY 144,000 people will "make it to heaven." ... ?
(Jehovah Witnesses) 144000 (number) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Old 09-17-2010, 12:40 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Christianity, since its inception, has lead the slaughter of millions and millions of people "in the name of God" as well.

In his book, “Holy Horrors: An Illustrated History of Religious Murder and Madness,” James A. Haught chronicles a thousand years of religious hate ranging from the witch hunts, to the numerous crusades, to the Holy Inquisition, to the religious anti-Semitic influence that later fueled the Holocaust.

Haught says, “Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of the coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites.”

Furthermore, theologian Richard Rubenstein wrote that the Nazis “did not invent a new villain…they took over the 2,000-year-old Christian tradition of the Jew as a villain."

Now, don't get me wrong. Religion has done a lot of good as well. But all too often people don't really like to talk about the history and past because of some really bad things that happened.

Regardless, I have no desire to attend this ceremony or any other religious ceremony (I believe in God but choose to be non-denominational). But we shouldn't ostracize (I'm not saying you are doing this, just saying in general) any one particular group.

We have enough intolerance in the world that perpetuates homophobia, racism, gender inequality and religious intolerance.

And, hey, at least Muslims don't knock on your door Sunday mornings and bother you like "one" of the other religions out there who believe that ONLY 144,000 people will "make it to heaven." ... ?
(Jehovah Witnesses) 144000 (number) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I live in a gated community and I am SO happy it keeps these freaks out. At least once a year, someone knocked on my door at my old house, talking about religion. It highly annoyed me.

As for this Eid Festival, I'm totally going for the Schwarma. I'll have just enough time to go right before work, hopefully. Should be good. Where is Maverick Plaza, though? I've never been to La Villita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio