Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 10:47 PM

16 posts, read 39,295 times

Advertisements

Any suggestion on finding a trusted and want your business custom builder who will build a home in Boerne w/lot for under $400K?

We have experience several builder that was not honest with us or be trusted. We have been given the run around every single time we start the process. Can't believe why builders want all of this money up front, which makes me believe they are not financial secure in the first place.

I am in the military and want to achieve that dream of owning a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 01:43 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Anyone is going to want money to get started. You need to set up a draw schedule with your builder, so they can access the money when they need it, either via you (if you're paying cash) or your bank. But they can't just start and build a house without any money from you.

What happens if you back out and they have purchased the lot, cleared it and poured your slab, in addition to all the items they have to order months in advance?

Now, if they're asking for everything up front, that's a problem, but I can't think of anyone that does that, and I know most of them. You need to find a good Realtor to help you pick a builder and area, and keep them in line when you start building.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:48 PM

500 posts, read 747,980 times
I was hit hard by a builder in Boerne who did just that. He was a 'trusted' person by someone in my family and that lowered my red flag radar. Cost us hundreds of thousands, so you are right, trust your instincts if anyone is asking that much upfront. Also, beware of draws that come too quickly for the work to be done. Have the work checked at each stage to ensure the draw money was used for what it was intended. I can DM you with the name of this builder if you like.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:11 AM

16 posts, read 39,295 times
Yes, send me the name of that builder - so I can beware.
Thanks for the comment.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM

16 posts, read 22,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
I was hit hard by a builder in Boerne who did just that. He was a 'trusted' person by someone in my family and that lowered my red flag radar. Cost us hundreds of thousands, so you are right, trust your instincts if anyone is asking that much upfront. Also, beware of draws that come too quickly for the work to be done. Have the work checked at each stage to ensure the draw money was used for what it was intended. I can DM you with the name of this builder if you like.
Could you send me the name of builder also?

Old 10-07-2010, 05:49 PM

126 posts, read 249,670 times
Matt Johnson of Dorado Builders.

He is a GREAT guy and knows his stuff.

Dorado Builders | Welcome

Old 11-11-2010, 03:56 PM

100 posts, read 248,715 times
I am currently building a home in New Braunfels (Havenwood) with Anderson-Jenkins Custom Builders. I spoke with many of their former clients who also invited me to their home to check out AJ's work. Even the vendors in the area gave them favorable reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio