Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 12:53 PM

28 posts, read 79,157 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned

if i have 2 broken leases and trying to get into a nicer apt, i've heard that most would require for the whole collection amnt be completely paid off. but i've also heard that showing some kind of payment arrangement could also work too.

my question, is if anyone has had any experience with broken leases and paid like 6 months in advance for the apt you're applying for, if such a thing even works

reason why i'm asking is because my last apt is asking for over 5k on my broken lease, and there's no way i'm going to pay that anytime soon. so in good faith, i'd like to show my willingness in paying 6 or so months in advance

anyone have any other suggestions? or comments as to whether or not it'll work.. i'm sure contacting every apt i'm interested to find out what they have to say is ideal, but i want to know what i got myself into n if i even have a chance at getting a nice place, without having to pay the full 5k i owe elsewhere

Last edited by Bo; 09-19-2010 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: orphaned - I updated the title as requested in the deleted sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 12:58 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
I think what you'll need to do is look at how you're going to "explain" the broken lease, and then put yourself in the landlords' shoes - would YOU rent to someone under the same conditions?

How long ago was the lease broken? Locally, or elsewhere? Why was it broken? If you can show a decent reason, you might have a chance. After a while, try going back to the original landlord and see if you can work out a settlement. Also - was the place relet after you moved out? He/she can only hold you responsible for the amount of time it was vacant, plus REASONABLE costs to rerent the place.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:04 PM

615 posts, read 1,523,005 times
I was in your same shoes 7 years ago. The only thing you can really do is work out something with the old landlord, and explain the issue. I ended up having to put up 4 months rent.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I think what you'll need to do is look at how you're going to "explain" the broken lease, and then put yourself in the landlords' shoes - would YOU rent to someone under the same conditions?

How long ago was the lease broken? Locally, or elsewhere? Why was it broken? If you can show a decent reason, you might have a chance. After a while, try going back to the original landlord and see if you can work out a settlement. Also - was the place relet after you moved out? He/she can only hold you responsible for the amount of time it was vacant, plus REASONABLE costs to rerent the place.
it was a pricey pad and i got fired from my place of work of 5 years, and i just couldn't afford it... i have a new job that pays swell and i'm looking to get back on my feet soon. this happened last month, locally- thanks for letting me know i have a chance still.. reason why it was so expensive is because it was a new apt complex and i got an awesome discount for being one of their first renters, but had to pay all the discounts i got BACK since i never finished the lease

Old 09-19-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
I was in your same shoes 7 years ago. The only thing you can really do is work out something with the old landlord, and explain the issue. I ended up having to put up 4 months rent.
good to know it's possible!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 01:21 PM

615 posts, read 1,523,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
good to know it's possible!!!
I would make sure that it's in your lease that you have to pay back all of those discounts...

Old 09-19-2010, 02:40 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
What are the chances of resuming that lease? And, like Verio - make sure you HAVE to pay the discounts back per the lease terms....

Old 09-19-2010, 06:42 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
Maybe working with a private landlord and explaining all the facts, along with documentation of the loss of a job. You can work out a settlement, the mark will still be on your credit until it is settled. Either try to relet where you broke the lease or move on to a private LL who will take the chance.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:04 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
I know that with some apartments, you'll need to have some kind of documentation that you are trying to do right by the previous apartment, as in making some payments to get rid of the balance. I dunno if they follow up, I just remember a leasing agent mentioning this to us when we were looking for a place in case we did have something like it.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:48 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,623,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned

if i have 2 broken leases and trying to get into a nicer apt, i've heard that most would require for the whole collection amnt be completely paid off. but i've also heard that showing some kind of payment arrangement could also work too.

my question, is if anyone has had any experience with broken leases and paid like 6 months in advance for the apt you're applying for, if such a thing even works

reason why i'm asking is because my last apt is asking for over 5k on my broken lease, and there's no way i'm going to pay that anytime soon. so in good faith, i'd like to show my willingness in paying 6 or so months in advance

anyone have any other suggestions? or comments as to whether or not it'll work.. i'm sure contacting every apt i'm interested to find out what they have to say is ideal, but i want to know what i got myself into n if i even have a chance at getting a nice place, without having to pay the full 5k i owe elsewhere
rent from a private party. make sure the house is what you want though. i have a broken lease due to a vindictive landlord and am in the process of fighting it. i was up front with my new land lord who really didnt seem to care and sympathized with me. i put up first and last months rent along with a pet deposit for my ragdoll.

id tell you where i moved, as its in a nice area near alamo heights AND there are tons of houses for rent around here, but in all honesty, i really dont want anyone from this board living anywhere near me (knowingly at least).

ps - my rent is under 600 a month and my sqft is well over 1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio