Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:08 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Mannn, I always thought that HEB was pretty nice! I live in Castle Hills and go to the more "ghetto-fied" HEB on West and Blanco. Does anyone know if they are closing my HEB on West? But, yes...I was sad to see them knock down the lovely wooded area on Wurbach Pkway for the new mega-HEB. I always enjoy that drive, even if we are dodging deer!!
I have to concur with you...the West Ave & Blanco is the worst HEB. It feels like it is 3rd World country in there and it is so dirty! I doubt they are knocking your ghetto-fied HEB down...it really isn't that old...I think they rebuilt it in the late 80's.
There were a lot of deer landlocked in that parcel of land where the HEB is at, but between that and the KB neighborhood, I am sure they have moved on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 02:04 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,482 times
The one at West Avenue and Blanco was pretty good until the city turned so many of those apartments to Section 8 housing after Katrina. The folks that moved in from NO really trashed that intersection. One of the reasons we moved from that part of town. West/Blanco has become a ghetto for sure.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:10 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,449 times
I checked out the new store today when I went to pick up prescriptions for hubby. As could be expected, the place was packed with every one from the "lollygaggers" to those in a hurry. Parking lot was crowded, but people were moving in and out rather quickly. There is an entrance/exit onto Wurzbach, which was easy to get in and out of. The others are at the light on NW Military or closer to the building without a light. Once the newness dies down, it will probably be an easier shopping experience. The store is huge, but it doesn't feel like it is, which is nice. Get a map from the person handing them out when you go in, so you won't get lost. They had new baskets and the smaller two tiered baskets as well.

I liked the pharmacy being near the front of the store (right front) and the fact that there is a drive through. The store has all the drugs, vitamins, cosmetics, baby stuff and pet food, etc on that side, with the freezer stuff and dairy beyond them in the back. Never did check out these isles, there were too many people wandering around. I wonder if they had a chance to drop their price of milk yet....

The center section is divided up into 3 areas: check stands and books/magazines and Cafe On the Run at the front, cards, floral, toys, and seasonal stuff in the middle and grocery items and kosher stuff towards the back.

There were lots of check stands, which was good. Several 10 items or less, and a few self check outs. Didn't check out the magazine section, but looked like there was a lot there. Looked a bit like Walmart's section, only more compact.

Cafe On the Run was a disappointment. I thought it would be at least as big as the one at Blanco and 1604. It didn't seem so. Maybe it was the way the section was designed. Any rate, there was not much of a choice, IMO. There were some salsas, guacamole, mac&cheese, potatoes of all sorts, including mashed sweet potatoes, almond crusted talapia, chicken tenders ($7.99/lb? I thought they were more like $5.99 the last time.) Several kinds of salads, some green bean almondine, but that was about it. The soup to go was there, and there was a section more towards the front of the store for the stuff you grab and go - prepackaged meals for two ($13.99), sandwiches, soup, that kind of stuff.

The seasonal stuff was mostly Halloween candy, costumes and the like. I was surprised to see a big Star Wars toy -- looked like one of those big Lego boxes -- when I went by. Don't know why they need so many toys in a grocery store, but hey, I guess it sells. Also in that area were school supplies and such, some hardware/electrical stuff, even automotive stuff. There was a large section of cards and party stuff. I was beginning to think I was in Walmart.... Then there was this other section that had soaps and maybe kitchen items or bbq items, which I didn't check out. Oh, and the floral department was there, too.

The back center section had all the grocery items. They give you an indexed map of the store when you go in, so you can at least find what you are looking for. I'm checking it out now, and think it interesting that they had the flour and baking stuff on the same isle, but the cereal and pankcake mixes were not. They had all sorts of sodas, even 16 oz Cokes sold separately. Didn't see any sales on sodas or chips, though. There was a huge Kosher food items section along the back wall by the waters. The coffee, waters, beer and wine are all to the left of the grocery section. Looked like they had a lot of different beer and wine varieties; guess I'll find out when I look for my desert wine!

On the left side of the store, we begin in produce. To me, if you don't have at least a two basket width between isles, it's too tight. They had some displays in the center of the isles which meant it was a one way street. Didn't like that. I picked up some bananas and didn't venture in any further. They had a fruit bar where you could purchase by the pound, but I didn't like that the items were so uncovered. I could just see some kiddo going by and grabbing a taste. ewe!

The fish market was well stocked. I was surprised to see a double lobster tank. One of the lobsters was absolutely huge! They had a special on shrimp - cooked or fresh and a freezer section for other fishy items.

The bakery was to me, small. No more bags of bagels. You pull yours out of bins and then get a tag for 5/$1.99. I'm not fond of other people digging through bins with their hands, so I skipped the bagels. Lots of different breads, but still the same stuff they have at other stores. Fresh tortillas - regular, fat free, butter, wheat, and some other kind - maybe sundried tomato? Lots of tables with bakery items prepackaged. Cakes and other goodies were well stocked.

There was a cook and grill, but I didn't notice anyone there. Didn't see any pizza, either! Towards the back were the deli and the cheese shop. Lots of cheese and lots of people, so I didn't check out what they had. Either the store was too crowded or those baskets are too big for the isles, but again, it was like a one way street.

The meat market was on the side just past the fish market and the packaged meats ran along the back wall to where the kosher stuff was. There were freezer cases in the center with more meats, chicken, sausages, etc. The cart with the olives, etc., was back there, too. Lots of free food tasting, too, and the isles were wider.

Ah, the best for last....Sushi! The sushi is located between the produce and the bakery. They were sampling potstickers and crunch rolls today...mmm Picked up some for tonight!

My one pet peeve would be the sanitary issue. There were lots of food stations for trying out the goodies, but way too many people just sticking their hands in without using a tissue. Ech!

The front of the store looks like it has smaller stores incorporated into it. I noticed a cleaners and a nail care salon. The map shows a Maui Wowi Coffee, HEB Wireless, Haircutters, DaVi Nails, Clothesline Cleaners -- all on the outside. The inside has DaVinci Gelato, Austinuts, IBC, "available" and Lizzy's Gifts (not yet open). The restrooms are located there, along with customer service.

Nice new store, but I probably won't change my shopping habits too much. At least it is closer and has sushi!

Who else went?

Old 10-17-2008, 03:06 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,851 times
lol....wow, you need a MAP?

Old 10-17-2008, 03:27 PM

140 posts, read 493,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
The one at West Avenue and Blanco was pretty good until the city turned so many of those apartments to Section 8 housing after Katrina. The folks that moved in from NO really trashed that intersection. One of the reasons we moved from that part of town. West/Blanco has become a ghetto for sure.
Glad to know I live in the ghetto, and i Moderator cut: profanity LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-17-2008 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: profanity is strictly prohibited per ToS

Old 10-17-2008, 05:39 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Mrs. Bowie told me that she saw a line to get into the Alon parking lot entrance on NW Military early this evening that extended all the way to Wurzbach. Apparently HEB had a soft opening or ribbon-cutting today. Hopefully they'll get some access in place from Wurzbach by tomorrow.
Wow, that's kinda crazy. A big line for a grocery store?? I only stand in line if something is life or death, or required of me by the government.

Seriously, once you've been to HEB Plus, Central Market, and a "regular" HEB, what's there to see?

Oh well, to each their own.

I'd be happy to just have a decent sized HEB over here where the lines didn't snake into the aisles every day between 2 and 8 pm. Dumb. Densely populated area, (8290 people per square mile in 2000, as per City Data, vs. the entire SA area at 3261 people per sq. mi) teeny tiny HEB. Yeah, that makes sense.

Over 56k people in this zip... but hey, we're getting a HUGE new bank. And yet another Walgreen's (ugh!)

Silly bankers, banks are for people with MONEY!

Old 10-17-2008, 05:57 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Wow, that's kinda crazy. A big line for a grocery store?? I only stand in line if something is life or death, or required of me by the government.

Seriously, once you've been to HEB Plus, Central Market, and a "regular" HEB, what's there to see?

Oh well, to each their own.

I'd be happy to just have a decent sized HEB over here where the lines didn't snake into the aisles every day between 2 and 8 pm. Dumb. Densely populated area, (8290 people per square mile in 2000, as per City Data, vs. the entire SA area at 3261 people per sq. mi) teeny tiny HEB. Yeah, that makes sense.

Over 56k people in this zip... but hey, we're getting a HUGE new bank. And yet another Walgreen's (ugh!)

Silly bankers, banks are for people with MONEY!
People waited in line for gas that was about 10 cents a gallon cheaper than other places, just a week or so ago. Even funnier? Some people paid an ATM fee since the place didn't take anything but cash, which negated the 10 cent a gallon savings. People do silly things all the time!

Old 10-17-2008, 06:16 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
People waited in line for gas that was about 10 cents a gallon cheaper than other places, just a week or so ago. Even funnier? Some people paid an ATM fee since the place didn't take anything but cash, which negated the 10 cent a gallon savings. People do silly things all the time!
Was there a big savings at this grand opening, making it worth the wait? Perhaps I missed it.

And yeah, people who pay ATM fees in general are silly these days huh? Especially since several banks refund all other bank ATM fees, like mine.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:55 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Was there a big savings at this grand opening, making it worth the wait? Perhaps I missed it.

And yeah, people who pay ATM fees in general are silly these days huh? Especially since several banks refund all other bank ATM fees, like mine.
Yeah, they usually do have grand opening specials, and lots of food giveaways. Rich people love free stuff.

And yes, ATM fees are refunded by my bank as well! Great point!

Old 10-17-2008, 09:11 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
I also made it to HEB today and it was pretty packed, yes you do get a map when you walk in. I loved the cheese shop, and the meat market, the cafe on the run was ok not like the one at Blanco-1604. Overall I think this is my new HEB I really liked it a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio