Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:23 PM

898 posts, read 2,563,176 times

Advertisements

If you like steak and shake you should try Freddy's at the Forum. The food is somewhat alike and the frozen custard is very good. There is also one going up at 281/thousand oaks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 07:33 AM

545 posts, read 2,284,041 times
I actually grew up in Normal, Illinois where the original Steak N Shake was located. I think there is one going in at the Rim and I can't wait! Nothing compares to a late night steakburger, cheese fries and a shake!

Now if we could just get a La Bamba's here, the midwestern college food trifecta would be complete: Jimmy John's, Steak N Shake, La Bamba's. I'm joking, of course...I don't know that La Bamba's would ever make it in San Antonio =-)

Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
When I first moved to Florida I discovered them....I LOVE them, we have alot here in the Orlando area that are open 24-7...you gotta love that.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider042678 View Post
Anyone ever eaten at Steak & Shake? I am originally from Georgia and Steak & Shake was the ideal hangout for late night eats and get togethers with friends. They have the best steakburgers you will ever eat, in my opinion of course. The closest Steak & Shake to San Antonio is in south Austin. Most locations in Texas are in the Dallas area. I would love for a Steak & Shake to open in San Antonio. I miss those steakburgers and creamy shakes! I e-mailed corporate about opening one in San Antonio, but I haven't received a reply. The website is Welcome to Steak n Shake. May I take your order? for those of you that haven't heard about this great place to eat.
OH, indeed I HAVE eaten at a Steak 'n Shake, and MISS IT terribly!!!!
My sojourns to SnS were in Ohio, where I lived before I came to San Antonio.
BUT I READ BELOW THERE IS A STEAK N SHAKE IN AUSIN? OMG!! LOL, lololol...

All we need now is In N Out Burgers, Trader Joes and Panera Bread.... YEA!!!!
LOLOL

Old 07-02-2007, 10:02 AM

734 posts, read 3,016,122 times
They have Freddie's Steakburgers and Frozen Custard here:

There is one at the Forum Shops on 35 and 1604 and are building a new on on Thousand Oaks and 281 in the BigLots parking lot.

Yummy. Sounds like a great idea for lunch!

Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
If you like steak and shake you should try Freddy's at the Forum. The food is somewhat alike and the frozen custard is very good. There is also one going up at 281/thousand oaks
Oh yeah - I should have read page two before posting What he said!

Old 07-02-2007, 10:15 AM

260 posts, read 1,136,115 times
Just a note to those who HAVEN'T had steak-n-shake. Don't expect too much your first visit... I'm convinced most folks like this place out of nostalgia. When they opened up in dallas we had lots of friends ecstatic about it, but I was underwhelmed. The shakes are good, no doubt. The burgers are as thin as a 99c McDonalds patty, but a combo meal here will run you a LOT more, and it's a menu/server situation, so you've got a tip on top of it all. I'm in Texas... I like a bit of MEAT on something called a "steak burger".

Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsndip View Post
Just a note to those who HAVEN'T had steak-n-shake. Don't expect too much your first visit... I'm convinced most folks like this place out of nostalgia. When they opened up in dallas we had lots of friends ecstatic about it, but I was underwhelmed. The shakes are good, no doubt. The burgers are as thin as a 99c McDonalds patty, but a combo meal here will run you a LOT more, and it's a menu/server situation, so you've got a tip on top of it all. I'm in Texas... I like a bit of MEAT on something called a "steak burger".
No server at Freddie's - they call your name or number and you come and pick it up at the counter. Meals are about $6.00 and the fries are so good - skinny and crispy. The burgers are thinner, but more flavor and less fat (IMO.)

Old 07-02-2007, 04:10 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,608 times
Quote:
I agree. It's more of the atmosphere kind of thing rather than getting real value. I thought they were on the pricey side. And yes the meat was very, very thin.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Don't expect too much your first visit... I'm convinced most folks like this place out of nostalgia. When they opened up in dallas we had lots of friends ecstatic about it, but I was underwhelmed. The shakes are good, no doubt. The burgers are as thin as a 99c McDonalds patty, but a combo meal here will run you a LOT more, and it's a menu/server situation, so you've got a tip on top of it all.
That's my take, too. The restaurants are noisy and the interior is lighted with fluroescent and neon, which is a big tipoff that the appeal is retro in nature. I also haven't been impressed with the flavor of the food at Steak and Shake. It's under-seasoned, to my taste.

I can get a more modern atmosphere, pay less and order at a counter to be just as underwhelmed by a fast-food burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio