Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:22 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,083,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austownian View Post
Also, I don't know if I want Austin/San Antonio to be a CSA. It would benefit San Antonio, but I don't know if it would benefit Austin. Austin is already expected to surpass San Antonio in metro population in not too long. Yet Austin is growing more toward the north, not the south.

Austin will probably never surpass San Antonio! Not anytime soon thats for sure. San Antonio is growing to fast and it is ahead by over 400k, San Antonio would have to shut it's doors for Austin to catch up in 15 years. S.A. was the third fastest growing metro in raw numbers between 2008-2009. Austin was ninth.

If it did make a CSA it would be titled bigger city first. S.A. is almost twice the size in city proper population.

As for NFL San Antonio doesn't need Austin in the equation based on there are many smaller metros and TV markets with teams. Of course it wouldn't hurt the cause if it was a CSA. Now for it to gain additional pro teams once it has NFL, then it would need the Austin's market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 PM

52 posts, read 152,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Austin will probably never surpass San Antonio! Not anytime soon thats for sure. San Antonio is growing to fast and it is ahead by over 400k, San Antonio would have to shut it's doors for Austin to catch up in 15 years. S.A. was the third fastest growing metro in raw numbers between 2008-2009. Austin was ninth.

If it did make a CSA it would be titled bigger city first. S.A. is almost twice the size in city proper population.
You must not read projections much. Austin Metro is expected to surpass San Antonio's by 2025. Though San Antonio is a rapidly growing city, it has a tiny suburb population compared to average.... Hah, I barely even notice suburbs in this place. Austin on the other hand has very rapidly growing suburbs.
Quote:
As for NFL San Antonio doesn't need Austin in the equation based on there are many smaller metros and TV markets with teams. Of course it wouldn't hurt the cause if it was a CSA. Now for it to gain additional pro teams once it has NFL, then it would need the Austin's market.
And the problem, is we(Austinites) don't want these pro teams in our city! It is already bad enough that we are getting a speedway. To me, Austin is a college town. And I think it should stay that way. I don't want us to get a pro-team, nor do I want us affiliated with any. Many Austinites(if not most) share this sentiment. It just isn't for our city. We don't want things like that to shape our city.

I would rather Austin be known for its university, capitol, and 6th Street... Not known as some city with a sports team. If Austin ever became like San Antonio, I would be very disappointed. As I have mentioned in other threads, I live in SA and I love it. But, it's way different than Austin and I enjoy the Austin culture so much more.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:02 PM

I have seen projections and San Antonio is always ahead by several hundred thousand. One projection I saw was based on old stats. Austin was said to possibly ecilipse San Antonio by 2040 but that was before San Antonio's explosive growth. That same projection source said San Antonio would have 2.1 million by 2020. San Antonio has surpassed that in 2009.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM

Just compare Bexar to travis they are both the same size in land area. San Antonio(bexar) has more than 700,000 more people. San Antonio has more suburbs than Austin. Austin just has a bigger one which is Round Rock.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 PM

52 posts, read 152,189 times
San Antonio has 2.080million right now, Austin has estimated 1.656,000. Certainly a difference, but nothing too impossible to surpass. Though Austin itself is expected to grow quite rapidly, much of the growth for the Austin metro will be thanks to the suburbs. In fact, Williamson County is expected to surpass Travis in population! (Though part of Austin is in Williamson.)

I have heard 2030 and haven't heard of that being disputed. Also, I think the SA metro population is in-line with projections, at least according to the State of Texas.

Also, how exactly is the population of major relevance? I mentioned it earlier, but merely to point out that Austin is growing more toward the north but if an NFL team was put between Austin and San Antonio, it would probably explode more toward the south.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:28 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,162,759 times
Quote:
You must not read projections much. Austin Metro is expected to surpass San Antonio's by 2025.
That may have been the thinking a decade ago, but not so much any more. Austin and SA are both adding about the same raw number of people these days. In order for Austin to overtake SA by 2025, SA would pretty much have to stop growing.

Quote:
Though San Antonio is a rapidly growing city, it has a tiny suburb population compared to average.... Hah, I barely even notice suburbs in this place. Austin on the other hand has very rapidly growing suburbs.
Macht nichts. True, most of San Antonio's "suburbs" are within the city of San Antonio or out in Bexar County, but just because they're not their own municipal entity doesn't mean that they're not growing. Quite the contrary in fact. And if they're adding people as fast as Austin's incorporated suburbs, then it nets-out. If you drive through Stone Oak, it looks like a "suburb" even though it's technically within the city of San Antonio. But if you want "true" suburbs, go check out the growth rates for places like Schertz and Cibolo.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:30 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,162,759 times
Quote:
I mentioned it earlier, but merely to point out that Austin is growing more toward the north but if an NFL team was put between Austin and San Antonio, it would probably explode more toward the south.
The location of an NFL team within a metro area is unlikely to influence where people choose to live in that metro area.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:43 PM

The last projection was 2,122,000 for S.A. metro. I need to look for the link. Nothing is impossible. but over 400,000 people? Again S.A. would have to stop growing, and it's growth is not letting up.

I thnk MLB would be a better fit for both markets. NFL would do better in central San Antonio.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:45 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,698,490 times
Quote:
San Antonio has 2.080million right now, Austin has estimated 1.656,000. Certainly a difference, but nothing too impossible to surpass. Though Austin itself is expected to grow quite rapidly, much of the growth for the Austin metro will be thanks to the suburbs. In fact, Williamson County is expected to surpass Travis in population! (Though part of Austin is in Williamson.)
Actually by 2035 CAMPO projects 1.56M people will be living in Travis and 1.03M people in Williamson.

http://campotexas.org/pdfs/CAMPO_203...,2010wMods.pdf

Old 09-20-2010, 04:58 PM

San Antonio has a lot of small suburbs and several over 25,000.

The Randolph Metrocom of subrubs has over 335,000 people. It includes, Shertz, Selma, Cibolo, Universal City, Live Oak, Garden Ridge and a few others.

Schertz, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio