Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:58 AM

464 posts, read 803,937 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on purchasing a recent model Toyota-certified used vehicle within the next few weeks and wanted to see if there was any one (or two) standout Toyota dealers in the San Antonio area that come highly recommended.

Prior to posting this, I previously searched this forum for similar inquiries but the most recent posts were back in 2008. I realize that with the difficult economy some dealers may have improved on what may have been a middling buying experience while others may have moved in the opposite direction.

I've looked online at several vehicles at Alamo Toyota, Universal Toyota and Cavender Toyota. I haven't previously purchased any vehicles from those dealerships.

I'm looking for exceptional customer service along with price; a good service department factors into the decision but only if the whole dealership is a stand-out.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,130,639 times
I DIDN'T want to buy my Corolla from Red McCombs. He has so many dealerships, and is so rich, I didn't think I would be treated well I went to Alamo Toyota, and got nothing positive from them! Universal and Cavender were okay. I wanted a standard shift, and so few standards were in the lot, and all of them were colors I could not handle. For the heck of it I went to Red McCombs. They not only had the right color and right transmission for me, they dealt easily, and beat the lowest price I could negotiate at the other dealers handily! Since then, my mother bought a Corolla from them, and my son has bought a Matrix and Prius from them! All transactions were smooth and painless. I highly recommend McCombs Toyota. A friend of mine bought a Corolla from Toyota of Boerne, and was impressed by them, too!

You may be able to get inot a NEW Toyota for the same price or even less than a certified pre owned. Check it out!

Old 09-25-2010, 01:51 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
I bought my Yaris from Red McCombs, I didn't get the best deal from them but at least they helped me get lower financing. They did actually bait me a bit, when I saw the car with the wheels and tint on it already, I was hooked!

But I was treated pretty well by them, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Toyota from if I ever get the urge, even though I probably could have beaten the price and another dealer. At this point, we had been to several and I was tired of looking, and like I said, the package on the car really appealed too me!

I also took my car by their service department for a free oil change. I asked for synthetic and was told I would have to pay extra for it. I said no problem, but when they were done they put in regular dino oil. I asked and they redid the entire oil change, this time with synthetic, and didn't charge me the extra because of the mistake. I thought that was pretty honorable of them!

By the way, Toyota Boerne was pretty nice as well, they just didn't have what I was looking for but the salesman we talked to out there (Cliff Worthington, don't ask me why I still remember his name after almost two years) was helpful and not overbearing.

Good luck with your search, I have been very happy with this Toyota (my first) in the two years I have driven it.

Cheers! M2

Old 09-25-2010, 09:20 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,681 times
Red McCombs owns Universal Toyota.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:46 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,147 times
M2 what happened to your Jeep?

I bought a Silverado in Castroville, proudly made in FT Wayne Indiana! I literally checked all the trucks manufactured location.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:30 AM

39 posts, read 97,467 times
I went to Red McCombs toyota dealership when I was ready to buy my Avalon - although the sales folks were pleasant enough when they finally got around to me, I didn't get good vibes there. I drove to Cavender and bought my car there. That was two years ago and I'm still going there for service. The only downside is the tedious drive from 1604 along Bandera Rd to get to them -

Old 09-26-2010, 10:35 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,117,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
M2 what happened to your Jeep?
I think Major mentioned he uses the Yaris as the commuting vehicle and the Jeep for weekends?

Old 09-26-2010, 11:30 AM

191 posts, read 447,469 times
Cavendar had what I wanted, but I serviced my car at Red McCombs. If Red McCombs had what I wanted in their inventory, I would have purchased from them. I had to ask for a salesperson to help me when I was at Cavendar, and I knew exactly what I wanted. I would not purchase from Cavendar again. If you plan on purchasing a used car, you may want to look at Carmax. They have an amazing online inventory, amazing customer service, and no haggle pricing. I recently purchased a 2010 model from them with 2700 miles. I called saying I wanted to test drive the car. I arrived and it was ready to test drive, and I bought it the same day. I also traded in my Toyota at the same time and was given a good price. Good Luck!

Old 09-26-2010, 03:36 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the new North Park Toyota dealership out by I-35 south and 410 near foster road.

I bought my Prius from them and the experience was pleasant. They beat Cavender's price.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:18 PM

420 posts, read 1,155,299 times
We really like the Toyota dealership in Boerne. Great to deal with. Very nice location. Its a pleasure to get the car serviced there. Really enjoy the repair bay patio. The sales people were a bit more small town friendly out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio