Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:33 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,372 times

Advertisements

Sadly it seems we have a growing trend. Another teen suicide:

Another San Antonio teen commits suicide | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 08:39 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Just knowing someone who has committed suicide increases your own chances.

It also turns out these kids are associated with the wolf pack crowd.

Last edited by Merovee; 09-30-2010 at 08:53 PM..

Old 10-01-2010, 04:52 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
I hope the parents of the wolves are taking extra time with their kids, talking to them, etc. Not that parents of non-wolves shouldn't be, but after two this seems to be a group thing. I hope there aren't any more. And I am in no way disparaging wolves or their parents--the story makes it out to be a "wolf thing". Either way, a senseless suicide is sad and I hope they are taking steps to prevent another one.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
My 1st question would be "Are High School providing counseling for kids like that?"
Or is that one of the things that has been cut because people don't want to pay 10 cents more in taxes a month?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:11 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,372 times
The counselors are involved as well as police at this point. What is PTA doing? What are parents doing?

I read a comment somewhere else that said "Brandeis administrators need to get to the bottom of this before they let this get out of control".

Admin and counselors are doing everything they can. The suicides aren't happening at school and schools cannot control what someone does say Sunday night at home. Parents aren't even seeing the warning signs.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:35 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Anyone remember the movie "Heathers"?

This is just sad.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:46 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
My 1st question would be "Are High School providing counseling for kids like that?"
Or is that one of the things that has been cut because people don't want to pay 10 cents more in taxes a month?
Yes. It must be the schools fault along with those greedy taxpayers.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:06 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
MY first question is - what are the parents doing to be more proactive?!?? Why is it society's issue - the kids spend more time at home in the custody of their parents - why are THEY not more involved.

Look - this whole deal - "wolf packs", etc. - cries out that kids are NOT being engaged at home. If my kid came home with that kinda stuff, it'd be the last thing he/she did before being grounded for several months. You can't be a "friend" to your kids - you have to be a parent. That means you won't always be "cool", you won't always be a "bud" - but you WILL be the guiding force in their life, their rock of reference to "normalcy" and the person that keeps them on the straight and narrow.

All too often, kids are allowed to "express themselves", to "go outside the boundaries" as the parents live vicariously through them, thumbing their noses at societal norms. I see much of that on some of the posts here, as some members try to justify bad behaviour, outrageous comments and just plain anti-social actions. Anarchy for the sake of anarchy can only lead to a breakdown in society - and at some point, folks are going to have to wake up and realize it.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure politics didn't have anything to do with this. Our schools are funded just fine. This child's problems went way past your precious tax issues.

It's a horrible thing for this family and I pray that they find some sort of comfort.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:12 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
If my kid came home with that kinda stuff, it'd be the last thing he/she did before being grounded for several months.
Some kids perhaps would join a wolf pack when they have parents at home whose answer is to ground them for expressing themselves instead of simply communicating.

Maybe some of these kids were bullied? We do not know....but if grounding them is the answer for all that maybe it is the wrong answer.

In either case a tragedy has occurred and I doubt forcing them to change their style or grounding them could have averted it.

Communication and connection is what averts suicides. Many parents are willing to talk yet refuse to connect and wonder why their kids clam up...it is because when they do talk some parents do not listen, just disapprove, or try to dominate the conversation with their view being the only accepted one. That is not communication though.

The following quote from the original wolf pack story says it all, they turn to each other for problems, consider each other as family, so where is the real family? Perhaps too busy to care about their child's problems, perhaps they think the only problem they have to address is their style of dress while ignoring the other 'real' problems?

Quote:
The pack? We're a family. We go to each other for our problems.
http://www.kens5.com/news/Teen-wolve...-94015234.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio