Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:34 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,083,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I read an article the other day in the Chronicle of Higher Ed that there are high schools here in SA who have one counselor to 300 students.
Exactly! We have one high school in our program that the high school counselor will not give the students a SAT or ACT waiver if they are thinking about a community college. The student has to have the right GPA or be the counselor's fave to get a waiver. Sometimes the students change their minds: at first they want to go to a CC but then change their mind when they apply to a 4 year university with the encouragement of our staff and are accepted! The high school counselors are extremely busy every day with other tasks that are non college related and have such a large student ratio that it's very difficult to keep up with all the students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 01:37 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,707,987 times
Not that I will inform about the definition of it at all, but I will say that the word MENSA in Spanish means something TOTALLY unflattering to one. Seriously.......

Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,083,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodLu View Post
Not that I will inform about the definition of it at all, but I will say that the word MENSA in Spanish means something TOTALLY unflattering to one. Seriously.......
And means table in Latin. Hmmm?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:47 AM

127 posts, read 276,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffer View Post
Very interesting lists, especially when you consider which list is comprised almost entirely of liberal cities, and which list is comprised entirely of conservative ones!
San Antonio has voted democratic for many years and all the other cities on the least educated city list also voted democratic in the last election. Look at Detroit, which is the most liberal voting city in America.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:23 AM

18,056 posts, read 25,132,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
The mentality is if I can't afford to pay out of pocket then they will not go. It's only for "rich kids." S omany here are stuck in a world of limitations.
I bet that's the exception,
You make it sound as if all they need to do is go and get a loan (financial aid) and they can go to college.

Let's put it this way... most people are amazed when I tell them that I'm going to be done paying my college loans in only 7 years after graduating.

Take a look at this article
The next generation of home buyers has too much college debt

Old 10-03-2010, 11:24 AM

51 posts, read 92,687 times
I didn't go to college and I make more than my friends that did. So yeah, these lists are just status quo exemplifiers.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:31 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,921,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Exactly! We have one high school in our program that the high school counselor will not give the students a SAT or ACT waiver if they are thinking about a community college. The student has to have the right GPA or be the counselor's fave to get a waiver. Sometimes the students change their minds: at first they want to go to a CC but then change their mind when they apply to a 4 year university with the encouragement of our staff and are accepted! The high school counselors are extremely busy every day with other tasks that are non college related and have such a large student ratio that it's very difficult to keep up with all the students.
This is not a new phenomenon nor is it unique to San Antonio; but it does seems to be prevalent in a lot of liberal southern cities. I grew up in Jacksonville, Florida and the vast majority of my high school class did not end up college bound, not did our teachers or administrators prepare us for that route. I believe the expectation was that we'd either end up in the Navy or working at some job locally. High school was more of "detention" to keep us off of the streets and out of trouble during the day.

I was lucky as I went the military route and ended up with supervisors who really pushed the educational opportunities that were being offered on their subordinates. That is where I really got started, although my parents did really encourage higher education but to be honest based on my high school performance I think it wasn't a realistic expectation at graduation. It is the one thing I am most grateful of from my military service, that it gave me the discipline and commitment to not only get my undergraduate degree but also to get two post graduate degrees while working full time and raising a family.

So yes, most anyone can get a degree, I am a good example of that; but the truth is that not everyone will get a degree, which is the difference. It is not easy, nor is it based on how smart a person is; but it is an indicator to a commitment and persistence to better oneself, which is why employers do value them.

Education is an investment in the future, for both the individual and society as a whole.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:39 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,494,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metromansa View Post
I didn't go to college and I make more than my friends that did. So yeah, these lists are just status quo exemplifiers.
That is what large numbers produce, valid averages.

Exceptions and anecdotes do not change that. For all the super smart, high earning, non educated folks that keep popping up around here, I think it is a safe bet they didnt rise to such lofty positions in mathematical fields.

I understand that is on the harsh side but people often cant see past their emotions and often dont seem to understand that a math equation has no where to insert feelings as a variable.

The information is a valid data set that we may derive a whole host of useful information from. Someones individual experience may vary and doesnt change the nature of the math because the math accounts for it.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:18 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,181,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
For all the super smart, high earning, non educated folks that keep popping up around here, I think it is a safe bet they didnt rise to such lofty positions in mathematical fields.
Four semesters of calculus and a semester of differential equations were required for my electrical engineering curriculum. I did well and found the classes to be enjoyable but I wouldn't want to crunch numbers for a living.

My mistake in my earlier post was not clarifying my idea of what "America's Smartest Cities" implies. I was looking at it in terms of innate intelligence, not length of education. I wouldn't have bothered commenting had the headline read "America's Most Well-Educated Cities."

Old 10-03-2010, 12:30 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,572,424 times
Looking through jobs being posted in San Antonio and the small pay that is given to those with degrees, what is the incentive?

Last edited by LovingSAT; 10-03-2010 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio