Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 01:01 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times

Advertisements

It's pretty apparent that this thread will never stay on topic. The initial post pushed too many buttons for people not to be distracted from the subject at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 PM

47 posts, read 73,701 times
Went to the place where club LUZ used to be. Will be out of business in 2 months flat. Was a bunch of 30 somethings in cowboy boots, the hot bartenders don't makeup for the fact that they are the only women there.

LoL @ bars that think they can cater to 30 somethings over 20 somethings and maintain a positive revenue stream, GL with that!

Old 10-15-2010, 09:09 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,346 times
I'm curious Austinn.....what kind of clothes do you wear when you go out? And could you please tell us what age group spends the kind of money that a bar needs to flourish?
I sure hope one day soon you will find a bar that caters to your personal taste, because someday, with luck, you may grow up to find many other things more important and fulfilling in life than going to a bar. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2010, 10:26 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
The Studio is a 30 and up club and it's been open for a few years. The place is packed on Friday nights.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:48 AM

47 posts, read 73,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
actually, i agree with the reviews from the op. most are pretty spot on since i experienced the same when i was out there 1-2 years ago. i think that area was at it's peak maybe around 2008 until many businesses started towing vehicles that were parked in their lots. many have gone to other clubs and bars in different areas close by. yeah, there were a lot of ''dark haired' people lol. but of course this is san antonio, and i didn't mind that one bit. i don't live in san antonio anymore, but i used to go out a lot 1-2 years ago in that area.

and san antonio definitely has a party scene. there are lots of bars/ ultra lounges/and some clubs. you just gotta go out and find it. people that say sa has no party scene don't go out and party.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:10 PM

12 posts, read 27,236 times
Default From a Mexican...

First of all, let me tell you it has been very amusing and informative to read this thread and see what a can of worms Austinn opened! And from the point of view of a true Mexican living here, I tell all of the people bashing Austin: You guys are blowing it out or proportion being too offended by Austinn comments.
Let me give you my point of view as one of those "Mexicans" Austinn encountered at those bars, but first a little background on myself.

I was born in Mexico, and came to the US, not running from the violence, but to pursue my post-graduate training. Then (as most Mexicans that come here for post-grad education) went back to Mexico with the idea of establishing my career there. Nevertheless, an opportunity I could not refuse came along, increasing my income by 500%, and I moved back to the US (Chicago). Then decided to move closer to home (and away from the damn cold!) and chose SA due to its proximity with Monterrey, my hometown. This was about 7 years ago. I always hoped to eventually go back to Monterrey, as quality of life there was great, but it is no longer the city I left; now I am sadly seeing how many people i know are moving here to escape extortion, kidnapping and random violence in my hometown. Almost every week I learn of somebody else moving his family here, and my realtor mentioned that, this year alone, has sold over 30 homes to mexican nationals. They all paid cash (as they have no credit here) and for the most part moved to the Stone Oak area, as it has been for years a popular area for those buying vacation homes here in SA. Many people moving here still have their business in Mexico, and travel back and forth while their families stay here in the US.

Given the relative lack of social networks here, a lot of the young (and not so young) mexicans have turned to the bars and clubs in the area as gathering places to meet other people (american and other mexicans). I recently went with a friend and my visiting brother to two of the bars mentioned above (Chicago and Cielito) and it truly felt like you were entering a bar in Mexico (except the bars in Monterrey are way nicer

So Austinn is right, the bars are mostly filled with mexicans. But he wrongly assumed that we were people from other parts of SA visiting the SO bars. In that he is wrong. These are people now living in the Stone Oak area, bringing needed money to the city (and keeping home prices from diving), opening new business (like Kumori sushi and El Papalote Restaurant) and in general feeling welcomed and grateful for the openness and friendliness of the San Antonio people. Most are nevertheless planning to return to Mexico once things calm down. Many will not, and thus will enrich the hispanic heritage of our City (yes, after 7 years I consider myself a proud San Antonian, even if I do not live in Alamo Heights).

Austinn, next time you go to a Stone Oak area bar, try to engage in conversation with one of us mexicans (yes, we speak english for the most part). You will be surprised how similar we really are, how enriching is to engage with people from other cultural backgrounds, and how much we like to party and share some drinks with the "gringos" around us!!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 PM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martgonman View Post
First of all, let me tell you it has been very amusing and informative to read this thread and see what a can of worms Austinn opened! And from the point of view of a true Mexican living here, I tell all of the people bashing Austin: You guys are blowing it out or proportion being too offended by Austinn comments.
Let me give you my point of view as one of those "Mexicans" Austinn encountered at those bars, but first a little background on myself.

I was born in Mexico, and came to the US, not running from the violence, but to pursue my post-graduate training. Then (as most Mexicans that come here for post-grad education) went back to Mexico with the idea of establishing my career there. Nevertheless, an opportunity I could not refuse came along, increasing my income by 500%, and I moved back to the US (Chicago). Then decided to move closer to home (and away from the damn cold!) and chose SA due to its proximity with Monterrey, my hometown. This was about 7 years ago. I always hoped to eventually go back to Monterrey, as quality of life there was great, but it is no longer the city I left; now I am sadly seeing how many people i know are moving here to escape extortion, kidnapping and random violence in my hometown. Almost every week I learn of somebody else moving his family here, and my realtor mentioned that, this year alone, has sold over 30 homes to mexican nationals. They all paid cash (as they have no credit here) and for the most part moved to the Stone Oak area, as it has been for years a popular area for those buying vacation homes here in SA. Many people moving here still have their business in Mexico, and travel back and forth while their families stay here in the US.

Given the relative lack of social networks here, a lot of the young (and not so young) mexicans have turned to the bars and clubs in the area as gathering places to meet other people (american and other mexicans). I recently went with a friend and my visiting brother to two of the bars mentioned above (Chicago and Cielito) and it truly felt like you were entering a bar in Mexico (except the bars in Monterrey are way nicer

So Austinn is right, the bars are mostly filled with mexicans. But he wrongly assumed that we were people from other parts of SA visiting the SO bars. In that he is wrong. These are people now living in the Stone Oak area, bringing needed money to the city (and keeping home prices from diving), opening new business (like Kumori sushi and El Papalote Restaurant) and in general feeling welcomed and grateful for the openness and friendliness of the San Antonio people. Most are nevertheless planning to return to Mexico once things calm down. Many will not, and thus will enrich the hispanic heritage of our City (yes, after 7 years I consider myself a proud San Antonian, even if I do not live in Alamo Heights).

Austinn, next time you go to a Stone Oak area bar, try to engage in conversation with one of us mexicans (yes, we speak english for the most part). You will be surprised how similar we really are, how enriching is to engage with people from other cultural backgrounds, and how much we like to party and share some drinks with the "gringos" around us!!
Great post. You won't find me at a bar in Stone Oak but if I was, you seem like the type of person to walk up to and talk to which is sadly not the impression I get from most Mexican nationals. Most I have encountered seem to stay within their own circle and rarely venture outside of that circle making them look rude or standoffish.

I only wish more Mexican nationals had your attitude.

One day I would love to visit Mexico. I have been to the border towns but do not consider that a real Mexico visit.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 PM

443 posts, read 1,505,908 times
oh so kumori is owned by a Mexican? interesting. anyway I've been there once and planning to go back soon... i love their calamari salad... not as crowded as zushi sushi which I like as well... nice ambiance.. kudos to mexicans bringing businesses and jobs to SA and SO :-)

Last edited by winst0n; 10-19-2010 at 11:00 PM..

Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,712,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martgonman View Post
They all paid cash
Ah.....Stimulus Package?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:55 PM

923 posts, read 1,502,374 times
Good post Martgonman. You basically reinforced what I had stated back on page 1 of this thread about the flight of wealthy Mexican nationals to Stone Oak. My mother-in-law was talking to her friend from Mexico City and some other Mexican nationals, and one of them was trying to talk the other out of going back to Mexico City for a quick trip to pick up the rest of her belongings and bring them back to her new home here. Her friend kept saying, in spanish, "They're just things, don't do it, don't risk going back! It's not worth it.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio