Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 01:00 AM

47 posts, read 73,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Buses do not run all that late and since when does Stone Oak have trams?

These buses do. They are party buses not traditional city buses. And I meant tram as in tram-like, as they keep piling em into stone oak from inner-city SA like sardines, you see them walking everywhere at night if you are out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 01:03 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
*cue in cheezy music*

You mean buses like this one?

Old 10-23-2010, 05:41 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Buses do not run all that late and since when does Stone Oak have trams?
The only time i have ever been on a party bus it left from Swig North and went to Club Rive downtown. I wouldn't doubt that they have the same services.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,401 times
Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by martgonman View Post
First of all, let me tell you it has been very amusing and informative to read this thread and see what a can of worms Austinn opened! And from the point of view of a true Mexican living here, I tell all of the people bashing Austin: You guys are blowing it out or proportion being too offended by Austinn comments.
Let me give you my point of view as one of those "Mexicans" Austinn encountered at those bars, but first a little background on myself.

I was born in Mexico, and came to the US, not running from the violence, but to pursue my post-graduate training. Then (as most Mexicans that come here for post-grad education) went back to Mexico with the idea of establishing my career there. Nevertheless, an opportunity I could not refuse came along, increasing my income by 500%, and I moved back to the US (Chicago). Then decided to move closer to home (and away from the damn cold!) and chose SA due to its proximity with Monterrey, my hometown. This was about 7 years ago. I always hoped to eventually go back to Monterrey, as quality of life there was great, but it is no longer the city I left; now I am sadly seeing how many people i know are moving here to escape extortion, kidnapping and random violence in my hometown. Almost every week I learn of somebody else moving his family here, and my realtor mentioned that, this year alone, has sold over 30 homes to mexican nationals. They all paid cash (as they have no credit here) and for the most part moved to the Stone Oak area, as it has been for years a popular area for those buying vacation homes here in SA. Many people moving here still have their business in Mexico, and travel back and forth while their families stay here in the US.

Given the relative lack of social networks here, a lot of the young (and not so young) mexicans have turned to the bars and clubs in the area as gathering places to meet other people (american and other mexicans). I recently went with a friend and my visiting brother to two of the bars mentioned above (Chicago and Cielito) and it truly felt like you were entering a bar in Mexico (except the bars in Monterrey are way nicer

So Austinn is right, the bars are mostly filled with mexicans. But he wrongly assumed that we were people from other parts of SA visiting the SO bars. In that he is wrong. These are people now living in the Stone Oak area, bringing needed money to the city (and keeping home prices from diving), opening new business (like Kumori sushi and El Papalote Restaurant) and in general feeling welcomed and grateful for the openness and friendliness of the San Antonio people. Most are nevertheless planning to return to Mexico once things calm down. Many will not, and thus will enrich the hispanic heritage of our City (yes, after 7 years I consider myself a proud San Antonian, even if I do not live in Alamo Heights).

Austinn, next time you go to a Stone Oak area bar, try to engage in conversation with one of us mexicans (yes, we speak english for the most part). You will be surprised how similar we really are, how enriching is to engage with people from other cultural backgrounds, and how much we like to party and share some drinks with the "gringos" around us!!
[URL="//www.city-data.com/forum/members/martgonman-44693.html"]Well said-martgonman[/URL]
I need your help to find out other likes of this new consumer. I currently work with a wine and spirits distributor, and am working on a project with the Spurs on increasing the sale of tickets and marketing my wine and spirits brands to "the Mexican National"
[URL="//www.city-data.com/forum/members/martgonman-44693.html"][/URL]

//pics3.city-data.com/trn.gif //pics3.city-data.com/trn.gif //pics3.city-data.com/trn.gif //pics3.city-data.com/trn.gif //pics3.city-data.com/trn.gif

Old 06-04-2011, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,135 times
I just want to comment on these posts.
I am white, I do not live in Stone Oak, I do not think San Antonio is Ghetto and I don't care, nor do I think many people care about the color of someone's skin vs. the content of their character. I have lived in SW Texas since 98 ( I am from up north and there were ZERO Hispanic/Mexican People) and I don't notice skin color. People are kind in San Antonio, there are good parts of town there are bad parts of town. No one area is better although some of my white friends have told me otherwise and I ignore comments about where to live, where to hang out because some of the best experiences are those that are foreign to us a little. I live in NW San Antonio (West of I-10) and live on a diverse street with people of all nationalities who are doing about as well as I am. I enjoy the company of the diverse population in San Antonio and honestly.....who notices the color or nationality when you connect with a person???

The city has great places to hang out, from the Riverwalk to Stone Oak. Some of my favorites to have a drink or a Margarita....probably the best drink in town is at La Fogata. Josabi's in Helotes is fun, I like the Swig Bar and Howl at the moon downtown.

I really think you can't go wrong, people are very nice in the city at least what I have experienced. If you are looking for racial purity or only feel comfortable with white peole, have a party, stay at home and invite your family.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:35 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times
HAHA!! I have just been reading a few of these posts and they are comical to me. Growing up in San Antonio, way before Stone Oak was there, it was the sticks. Shoot, UTSA was the sticks. Helotes was the sticks. For us old timers Stone Oak is a joke and yes it represents progress. However, not all progress is a good thing. The only thing good in Stone Oak are the roads leading out of Stone Oak and even those are terrible. Doesn't matter if you're red, black, brown, white, or purple that area is terrible regardless of where you are from or what you look like.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:04 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAlovingSA View Post
I just want to comment on these posts.
I am white, I do not live in Stone Oak, I do not think San Antonio is Ghetto and I don't care, nor do I think many people care about the color of someone's skin vs. the content of their character. I have lived in SW Texas since 98 ( I am from up north and there were ZERO Hispanic/Mexican People) and I don't notice skin color. People are kind in San Antonio, there are good parts of town there are bad parts of town. No one area is better although some of my white friends have told me otherwise and I ignore comments about where to live, where to hang out because some of the best experiences are those that are foreign to us a little. I live in NW San Antonio (West of I-10) and live on a diverse street with people of all nationalities who are doing about as well as I am. I enjoy the company of the diverse population in San Antonio and honestly.....who notices the color or nationality when you connect with a person???

The city has great places to hang out, from the Riverwalk to Stone Oak. Some of my favorites to have a drink or a Margarita....probably the best drink in town is at La Fogata. Josabi's in Helotes is fun, I like the Swig Bar and Howl at the moon downtown.

I really think you can't go wrong, people are very nice in the city at least what I have experienced. If you are looking for racial purity or only feel comfortable with white peole, have a party, stay at home and invite your family.
Not this thread again.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:14 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
I never really understand why people worry about where other folks are living? People should just live wherever they can afford to be most comfortable and not stress about where someone else is staying.

Some guy at work commented to me how "ghetto" and "trashy" the SS is....then I told him that I stay on the SS, instead of backtracking he asked me why I dont move somewhere to "like La Cantera?" Because I dont want to and its none of your business, thats why....esscchhhtupid.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:16 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
. Some guy at work commented to me how "ghetto" and "trashy" the SS is....then I told him that I stay on the SS, instead of backtracking he asked me why I dont move somewhere to "like La Cantera?" Because I dont want to and its none of your business, thats why....esscchhhtupid.
And you have to work with this guy day in and day out? Eek!

Old 06-04-2011, 07:32 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times

YouTube - ‪Vietnam War Slideshow - Fortunate One‬‏

Just for you Cross-Eyed Seagull, Kennedy's, etc.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio