Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:55 AM

615 posts, read 1,516,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Because of this concern, based on fiscal conservatism, it seems as if your initial complaint is also based somewhat on that.

Also were you able to find out how many white children they had last year? How far in advance do they budget in these things? And so what you are basically seeking is for more specialized money that will benefit white students? It is still not demonstrated though that any funds given to a school based on having a majority-minority will benefit just minority students and not white ones. But yes it does sound as if they are working on it.

I also agree with others that any type of funds for "disadvantaged and lower-income" should go to anyone who is actually lower-income regardless of ethnicity. People who need help should get it and race should have nothing to do with that.

Sounds like you are a concerned parent. I hope there were more like you at this open house. That more than anything signals good things for the future of our city including that district.
I wouldn't have been upset at all, if they had at least mentioned the white children having the lowest scores, and should be one of their primary goals. Instead, it was quite the opposite. It just seems like political-correctness has taken over the world, and the mention of the world "white" instills a racist connotation, and it shouldn't.

I can only imagine the fall out, if they had mentioned that Hispanics and African-American's were doing poorly, yet their primary goal for the year was to increase white children's scores. There would be pickets, and the ACLU would most likely be contacted. It's not a fair comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 09:22 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,738,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
It does sound fishy now that you point out how the story is laid out. It never occured to me if teachers have to know race of each student or not.
It's most likely on the files that come with each kid at the beginning of the school year.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:31 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,707,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
It's most likely on the files that come with each kid at the beginning of the school year.
Ok, makes sense.

Why do the teachers need to know this information? I am just curious.

(I am not a parent so that is why I am unaware of current education trends)

Old 10-11-2010, 09:41 AM

679 posts, read 1,794,681 times
Have you looked at the breakdown of TAKS scores? I know for our elementary, the non-Hispanic and non-free lunch kids are scoring close to 100% on every TAKS measure. We have over 50% Hispanic and over 50% low income at our elementary. I certainly agree that struggling students need help, regardless of race and income, but if race and income are easy identifiers and a good way to give kids a leg up BEFORE they fall between the cracks -- what's the problem with that? Of course you can and should advocate for your own child as well, I think that is the parent's job.

And please let me add, I freakin' hate these tests. Let the teachers teach!!

OK, I see now that it is the white children that are struggling. I can't understand, then, why the school would be focus on Hispanic kids. That doesn't make any sense.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:44 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
And please let me add, I freakin' hate these tests. Let the teachers teach!!
Standardized testing fails.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:58 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,415,779 times
I understand the issues behind standardized testing, but how else are the schools to be gauged? I've been to two different middle schools in NEISD and the curriculum was much harder at one than the other. I went to Nimitz which is predominantly Hispanic, and when I switched to Gardner which is predominantly Caucasian, I was way behind. Since the curriculum isn't standardized, how are we supposed to tell which schools are teaching the children enough?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:08 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,738,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Ok, makes sense.

Why do the teachers need to know this information? I am just curious.

(I am not a parent so that is why I am unaware of current education trends)
I have no idea. My mom has been a teacher for ages and she'd always get a note with the kid's names, birthday, race, stuff like that. She'd get it early enough before the school year started so she could have everybody's birthday up on a big calendar on the wall in the room except for the last kid or two that were switched from one class to another.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:12 AM

Yeah, I completely agree that the whole system needs an overhaul. They shouldn't break down the TAKS scores by race, but only by grade-level. That way, the focus can be on the deficiencies of the teachers. Of course, education at the school is only part of the equation, and that education must be continued in the household. I completely understand the focus on economically-disadvantaged kids, as they probably don't have the resources to buy kids books to read to their children at home... or that it's not even recognized as something that should be done.

According to the TAKS scores... perhaps my child will be doing better in the 3rd grade, lol.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
I understand the issues behind standardized testing, but how else are the schools to be gauged? I've been to two different middle schools in NEISD and the curriculum was much harder at one than the other. I went to Nimitz which is predominantly Hispanic, and when I switched to Gardner which is predominantly Caucasian, I was way behind. Since the curriculum isn't standardized, how are we supposed to tell which schools are teaching the children enough?
Unfortunately, the teachers are now required to teach the kids to pass the tests, not learn the material. There is a huge difference.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,469,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
I wouldn't have been upset at all, if they had at least mentioned the white children having the lowest scores, and should be one of their primary goals. Instead, it was quite the opposite. It just seems like political-correctness has taken over the world, and the mention of the world "white" instills a racist connotation, and it shouldn't.

I can only imagine the fall out, if they had mentioned that Hispanics and African-American's were doing poorly, yet their primary goal for the year was to increase white children's scores. There would be pickets, and the ACLU would most likely be contacted. It's not a fair comparison.

Exactly the point I was trying to make in my post at the beginning of this thread. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio