Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
Unfortunately, the teachers are now required to teach the kids to pass the tests, not learn the material. There is a huge difference.
We had the TAAS test when I was in school, but not much time was dedicated to teaching it because it was just a basic skills test. But that doesn't answer my question on how are we supposed to know which schools are failing. You can't just go by grades because different schools have different curricula as I pointed out. Schools in economically disadvantaged areas tend to water down the curriculum to make it easier for the kids to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:05 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,042 times
Curriculum is the same, standards are already set.
Now one school may teach it differently then another (hence the "watered down" theory) but the standards are the same.
Like another poster mentioned......its teaching to what is being put on the tests as that is how the state measures what a student knows/learns.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Every school might use the same books (not always the case as I have personally witnessed); but assignments, quizzes, tests, and papers are all set by the teachers. Teachers can and do make their own tests and quizzes and set the criteria for papers. Many teachers even teacher at a different pace. Some teachers will get through the whole textbook while others will only get through half. I haven't been out of school that long, it's only been 6 years.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 AM

679 posts, read 1,801,958 times
I'm sorry, I just don't agree that because a school has high test scores that it is a good school. The numbers are pretty much meaningless to me, as a parent, comparing schools one to another. In my area, it is easy to see that the scores are quite simply a reflection of the school's demographics and nothing more.

I just moved to Texas and honestly, I am quite worried that my children are not going to learn to write effectively because they spend so much time learning how to answer multiple choice questions. It also seems to take all the creativity out of teaching and puts the focus on testing instead of helping students learn in a fun environment. Fortunately my kids have outstanding teachers that do the best they can given the testing mandates -- but it certainly cramps their style, one has even told me so.

As long as we are going to do the testing (which I hate), I think that looking at demographic group breakouts IS important. I know here they offer free preschool (which is supposed to be EXCELLENT) to at-risk children which are identified by race, income, or special needs. Those are the groups that traditionally score worse on the tests and/or may not be sending their kids to private preschool. I think this is an appropriate and useful way to use the statistics.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 AM

Yes, HOW they teach it may differ but they all have requirements. They all have TEKS to teach and those are thru the state. They are geared towards the TAKS. So HOW they do it may differ but content that is covered and what NEEDS to be covered is thru TEKS.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:52 AM

Texas tried out the TAKS 11th grade exit test on my class (we were the last class to take the TAAS 10th grade exit test) and it required a lot of writing. We had to write out answers to questions on top of writing an essay. But this was high school, I don't know about the lower grades. I remember having to write essays for every year I took the TAAS test though, but the TAKS added short answers. I really didn't see a reason why a teacher needed to "teach the test." The test was below our grade level and it was over stuff we should have learned. This is a very general test. The only reason why some teachers are spending so much time "teaching the test" is because they're afraid for their jobs and they know some of their students don't have the basic skills to pass the test. These tests are really not that difficult.

mamatotex97, but that still doesn't answer my question on how the state is supposed to gauge which schools are failing. Should the state only go by report cards? Students who shouldn't go on to the next grade do all the time.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:55 AM

It changes next year anyway to STAR starting with the incoming freshmen.......

Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Again? What is the difference with STAR?

Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 AM

Now students will test at the end of each semester. They must pass that in order to go on and get credit. Think of it like traditional semester exams.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:07 AM

Never mind, I found an article on STAAR. It already sounds better. It's more of an end of course exam which will test students on what they should've learned throughout the year in that course. Really no different from the semester exams teachers give except it'll be standardized. So if teachers already have to follow a state mandated curriculum, there shouldn't be an issue with "teaching the test." Teaching the mandated curriculum should be enough. Failure will be dependent upon the teacher and/or the student.

Texas Education Agency - STAAR debuts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio