Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:51 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,562,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Nobody knows what is going to be like, but there’s a few factors to keep in mind:
- Growth is just a prediction, it can change, just like in St. Louis Missouri has a negative growth rate right now.
- People live where water is available, and there’s not much water in South Texas. So that might be the 1st factor to affect growth.
- Corporations go, where there’s a large pool of educated people (oversupply of educated people) something that San Antonio doesn’t have, that will affect growth.
- I would expect the military population/presence to have the exact same growth rate as it’s had in the last 50 years.
I think that the one thing that could have a huge impact in San Antonio, is if San Antonio decides to become the “Solar Energy capital” of the United States. There’s plenty of sunlight all year and plenty of “useless” land South of San Antonio to easily become a Solar Energy mecca.
Why do you say the land south of San Antonio is 'useless'? Actually the land north of San Antonio was heavily developed because it was considered 'useless' except for urban sprawl. All it was, was rock and cedar. No one considered the fact that the greatest use of that land was as an aquifer recharge. Oh well, so much for that. At least the land south of town has dirt. You can grow things in it. Raise animals on it. It has rivers running through it. Although right now they are poisoned by San Antonio but they are getting cleaned up. It's far from useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,014,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
At least the land south of town has dirt. You can grow things in it. Raise animals on it. It has rivers running through it. Although right now they are poisoned by San Antonio but they are getting cleaned up. It's far from useless.
I generally agree with your post, but it's pretty much sandy loam and so it's well draining, but needs some augmentation to produce much. Not bad, but not exactly ideal.The farmers make do, though.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:07 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,989,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I generally agree with your post, but it's pretty much sandy loam and so it's well draining, but needs some augmentation to produce much. Not bad, but not exactly ideal.The farmers make do, though.
I'm impressed with how much the message board members here know. Geology, law, this and that! Everyone here knows so much!

And they say San Antonio isn't well-educated. HA!

Old 10-13-2010, 12:15 PM

18,044 posts, read 25,080,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I'm impressed with how much the message board members here know. Geology, law, this and that! Everyone here knows so much!

And they say San Antonio isn't well-educated. HA!
Makes me wonder if they got that education in San Antonio

Old 10-14-2010, 07:14 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,014,795 times
LOL, well you tend to learn more about things that you care about....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio