Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:48 PM

258 posts, read 637,940 times

Advertisements

Lupe Tortillas is coming to San Antonio!
This is a great tex-mex restaurant that has wonderful fajitas and other dishes. They have a sanbox/playground for the kids and you can buy icecream truck type icecream. It's really good and a lot of fun.
I'm so excited, and just wanted to share.

Lupe Tortilla (http://www.lupetortilla.com/index.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarichie75 View Post
Lupe Tortillas is coming to San Antonio!
This is a great tex-mex restaurant that has wonderful fajitas and other dishes. They have a sanbox/playground for the kids and you can buy icecream truck type icecream. It's really good and a lot of fun.
I'm so excited, and just wanted to share.

Lupe Tortilla (http://www.lupetortilla.com/index.htm - broken link)
This is exactly what we need.

Another tex-mex chain restaurant as if we didn't have enough of them already.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:18 PM

487 posts, read 1,118,001 times
To open in Stone Ridge Market @ Evans Road and 281. Plans are moving very slow tho.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:28 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
Oh boy.....another original idea tex-mess place to eat. I'll try to control my excitement.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 PM

258 posts, read 637,940 times
Yes, there are a ton of tex-mex restaurants, but there aren't any good ones here.
Lupe Tortillas is good. I hope you will at least try it once.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:08 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarichie75 View Post
Yes, there are a ton of tex-mex restaurants, but there aren't any good ones here.
Lupe Tortillas is good. I hope you will at least try it once.
Some 0f the best Tex-Mex anywhere can be had in San Antonio. San Antonio is famous for it. I looked at the menu and I don't even see any cheese enchilades, rice and beans. If I hadn't looked at the locations link I would have figured this franchise for a Cali-Mex chain. This type of thing might go over quite well with all of the transplants in the 281-Evans rd area but this Houston chain ain't got nothing on the San Antonio real thing. You can't get good Tex-Mex unless you get off of the loops. Well, you can still find it on Loop 13.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:45 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Some 0f the best Tex-Mex anywhere can be had in San Antonio. San Antonio is famous for it. I looked at the menu and I don't even see any cheese enchilades, rice and beans. If I hadn't looked at the locations link I would have figured this franchise for a Cali-Mex chain. This type of thing might go over quite well with all of the transplants in the 281-Evans rd area but this Houston chain ain't got nothing on the San Antonio real thing. You can't get good Tex-Mex unless you get off of the loops. Well, you can still find it on Loop 13.

Pardon me, but I beg to differ. Houston has remarkable Tex-Mex. Ninfa's, Jaliscience, La Mexicana, Taquerias Arandas, Molina's, etc, etc etc...and while Lupe's may be a chain, it is local to Houston. Lupe's is family owned and operated and has been for many years. It is VERY good. I'm sure if you need them to throw some cheese in a corn tortilla for you and throw some chili gravy on top they would do it in a heartbeat...

I really don't get this pervasive "competition" thing around here. It's ALL GOOD FOOD! It's all a part of what makes Texas so great. It was only when I moved to San Antonio that I found there was even a hint of this little "inter-Texas" battle going on, with the loudest voices coming from right here on CD. So ridiculous.

You should really read Rob Walsh's book "Tex Mex Cookbook"--it has all sorts of stories and history, along with recipes from MANY amazing Tex-Mex restaurants across the state. Robb Walsh is the food editor of the Houston Press and is a terrific writer and foodie.

Amazon.com: The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos (9780767914888): Robb Walsh: Books

Old 10-21-2010, 04:49 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Pardon me, but I beg to differ. Houston has remarkable Tex-Mex. Ninfa's, Jaliscience, La Mexicana, Taquerias Arandas, Molina's, etc, etc etc...and while Lupe's may be a chain, it is local to Houston. Lupe's is family owned and operated and has been for many years. It is VERY good. I'm sure if you need them to throw some cheese in a corn tortilla for you and throw some chili gravy on top they would do it in a heartbeat...

I really don't get this pervasive "competition" thing around here. It's ALL GOOD FOOD! It's all a part of what makes Texas so great. It was only when I moved to San Antonio that I found there was even a hint of this little "inter-Texas" battle going on, with the loudest voices coming from right here on CD. So ridiculous.

You should really read Rob Walsh's book "Tex Mex Cookbook"--it has all sorts of stories and history, along with recipes from MANY amazing Tex-Mex restaurants across the state. Robb Walsh is the food editor of the Houston Press and is a terrific writer and foodie.

Amazon.com: The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos (9780767914888): Robb Walsh: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Tex-Mex-Cookbook-History-Recipes-
Photos/dp/0767914880 - broken link)
Sorry, but Ninfas was horrible and that's why they couldn't even stay open in San Antonio.

Even the one in Waco was bad.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:17 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,047,374 times
NO Enchiladas on the menu?!?! That is blasphemy!

Old 10-21-2010, 05:48 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Sorry, but Ninfas was horrible and that's why they couldn't even stay open in San Antonio.

Even the one in Waco was bad.

When were they open in San Antonio and for how long? I'm just curious, because I believe after Mama Ninfa died, her family sold franchise rights to the restaurant chain. The original is on Navigation and pretty much everyone in Texas knows how great that is. I'm sorry I wasn't more specific, and I'm also sorry you don't agree that Ninfa's ROCKS! Heck, she's the one who made fajitas a household name in this state.

P.S. The one in College Station and the one in Waco are still going strong, and apparently are rated very well, so I guess they're still doing something right. Go figure.

Not just any Tex-Mex restaurant | Fork and Cork | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

The Original Ninfa's on Navigation - Houston, TX - Citysearch

Ninfa's Mexican Restaurant - Waco | Urbanspoon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio