Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:11 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksk11 View Post
Oh, and if i matters, we live in Cibolo....so would either be going to the New Braunfels or Universal City one..not sure which is closer to our house yet.
You have to go to the one in Universal City.

Do a search for "Driver license office, Universal City"
is located on the West corner of Kitty Hawk Rd and Pat Booker Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:13 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
She said that I needed to look like I did in the old one and I told her that was 8 years ago and I've aged since then . I just thought it was weird
That's so they can run you through the mug shot database and figure out what ya did, TXtrk....

So what did you do?

I used to hop on the oval dirt track (Hill Country Speedway) off Duderstadt Ranch Rd. in the middle of the day and ticked all sorts of people off....

Old 10-21-2010, 12:49 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You have to go
I thought you could go to any DPS you wish?

Old 10-21-2010, 01:21 PM

993 posts, read 2,490,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You have to go to the one in Universal City.

Do a search for "Driver license office, Universal City"
is located on the West corner of Kitty Hawk Rd and Pat Booker Rd.
Always had good experiences with that location except when they were closed the Thursday and Friday before Thanksgiving week. Dumb.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:47 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I thought you could go to any DPS you wish?
You can, as according to this DPS web site; there is no requirement to go to a specific location...

And you can find the location closest to you (or any other one that you wish to go to) here.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:17 PM

128 posts, read 435,747 times
Thanks everyone...seems like everywhere I go...esp my kids elementary school, I have to show a photo Id...even the Dr's office! I get and respect why they need to see your id at these places, just wanted to be sure I didn't need to buy a photo id first then wait for that and then get a license.

Oh and thanks for clarifiying I can go to any dps...i think technically the universal city one is closer milage wise, but as far as a clear shot from my house, its more the other one....hope to get it done next week if i can!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:19 PM

128 posts, read 435,747 times
one more thing....what else is the dps used for?? are they usually crowded?? we had TERRIBLE experiences at the DMV in connecticut...blah! I def. don't want a repeat of that mess.
I have to say the whole get your plates at one place and your license in another struck me as odd at first, but there were zero problems getting plates. everyone was extrememly friendly and I was there 5 min before the office opened and got right in and out in a blink of an eye. It was great, I hope the DL goes as quickly!

Are there any around that have Saturday or evening hours?? cuz they all look M-F 8-5 which sucks for DH b/c he works like 6am-7pm

Old 10-21-2010, 04:14 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times
The DPS offices in Bexar County are only open weekdays, and Wednesdays are the only days they are open later (7:00 PM). The few times I've had to visit them, they've generally been very busy.

The DPS offices pretty much just handle driver's licenses and driving tests (written and in-vehicle). The good news is that once your license is issued, I think most of them are valid for a period of something like seven or eight years, and after the initial license is issued, you may be eligible to renew on the internet or by mail. Since only every other renewal needs to be done in-person, you may only have to visit a DPS office every 14-16 years, unless you lose your license. I'm not even sure if you have to do address changes in person anymore.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,505,100 times
I think they cut the licence, and they give you the paper licence and you retain the pic from the original license. every DPS varies.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:31 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
I almost hate to say it but I would always suggest going to the UC one. I was in and out in 15mins a few weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio