Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:22 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious - we've always avoided HOA's, but what are they charging nowadays anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 01:32 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Hmmm.... I wonder if both HOA's use the Same High Priced Attorney.

The GNW must be doing something right in order to provide you all with what they do. Knowing that they dropped your annual assessments in 2008 is pretty darn impressive.
Yes, I have to admit it is a very active community and they do offer a lot of opportunities for people to enjoy themselves. And FINALLY they are offering exercise classes for working people, not strictly retirees.....IN THE EVENINGS. For the longest time, you could exercise with a chair, at 10AM and that was about it. Um, I'm exercising in my chair at work at 10AM and I am not even sure what that is. There are lots of parties and themed things going on also, if you're in to that sort of thing.

And we have the city's finest Zumba instructor, hands down.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:39 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I'm just curious - we've always avoided HOA's, but what are they charging nowadays anyway?
Ours is about 600 / year but keep in mind we have to maintain streets ourselves, and this includes trash pickup. Basically anything you want to throw out or recycle they'll take, twice / week. I used to avoid HOAs until I had the joy of dealing with code compliance, which is about the slowest and most incompetint organization around.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:46 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Ouch - street maintenance repair can be a REAL expense as the property ages! I'm the type that figures it's your property, do with it as ya will - so that's why HOA's have no attraction for me, but I can certainly understand there are many who would like 'em.

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2010, 07:24 PM

Yeah, saving for streets are the lion's share (gate is the other). Trash comes out to 75 per house per year I think. No idea what household impact for electrical, water, ... is. We have about 100 houses - with more costs might have been a bit lower. The way we run things is to have saved up for the day when the streets / gate need to be redone in a way such that there will be no financial impact to residents. We also keep up with the maintenance the city doesn't typically do on its own - resealing, making sure the wiring in the street lights is still healthy and whatnot. We're basically live and let live - unlike what I hear about some that get into every little thing. It's my attitude as well, with the caveat that everyone should live up to their zoning + whatever deed restrictions are in place. From past experience code compliance can do little to help with the zoning part unless something is obvious from the street. IMO the HOA has been a necessary evil, and I try and keep it from going into minutia by being on the board.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:25 PM

872 posts, read 1,856,423 times
Hey Great NW and other HOAs...Westcreek has re-evaluated their stance on credit card fees. You may want to put some pressure on your own HOAs. See below:

The following message was received from the Villages of Westcreek Owners Association in response to inquiries regarding the charging of convenience fees for credit card transactions. A copy of this update has been posted on our website.
“After several comments and concerns about the legality of the VWOA charging a convenience fee for credit card usage, the Staff has reinvestigated with our legal counsel and the credit card companies. The use of a convenience fee by the VWOA is legal and accepted with the following changes: A flat rate fee must be used and the payee will be given a warning the fee is being charged and they can avoid it by paying in person at the Community Center. The convenience fee for credit card payments will be a flat rate of $8.00 this applies for payments not received at the Community Center in person. The homeowner will be notified prior to being charged the fee, and they can avoid the fee by paying in person or by sending a check or money order instead. The charging of this fee is necessary to address the annual $6,000 banking fees currently being absorbed by the H.O.A. for the credit card payments.”
Brenda Tate B.B.M.
Community Manager
Villages of Westcreek Homeowners Association

Old 11-05-2010, 06:40 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
That's great.....but ours (GNW) is $222, so the fee is $10. I'll just continue to drop mine in the payment box for free every January. But it's nice that they're listening to their residents.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:14 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Although you don't live in an apartment, I've been paying my landlord by money order, for my apartment rent, since 2006, and I have to (take the time to) mail the letter too since my multiplex doesn't have an "outgoing mailbox."

I see nothing wrong with this convenience fee because it IS a convenience to not have to take time to go to Valero or HEB or your bank, stand in line, and then drive back and drop off the money order in person.

If you want to pay by credit card then you should have to pay the fee. Just sayin'.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:10 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
We're basically live and let live - unlike what I hear about some that get into every little thing. It's my attitude as well, with the caveat that everyone should live up to their zoning + whatever deed restrictions are in place. From past experience code compliance can do little to help with the zoning part unless something is obvious from the street. IMO the HOA has been a necessary evil, and I try and keep it from going into minutia by being on the board.
Code Compliance will enforce zoning and code violations, but they do not have the authority to enforce deed restrictions. That is usually the responsibility of the HOA, or the developer of the subdivision.

If your subdivision has deed restrictions, but doesn't have an HOA, and the developer is no longer active, or no longer has an interest in the subdivision, my understanding is that it usually becomes the responsibility of individual property owners to take civil action against a violator (i.e. hire an attorney). IOW, you may be out of luck if someone violates a deed restriction.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Code Compliance will enforce zoning and code violations, but they do not have the authority to enforce deed restrictions. That is usually the responsibility of the HOA, or the developer of the subdivision.

If your subdivision has deed restrictions, but doesn't have an HOA, and the developer is no longer active, or no longer has an interest in the subdivision, my understanding is that it usually becomes the responsibility of individual property owners to take civil action against a violator (i.e. hire an attorney). IOW, you may be out of luck if someone violates a deed restriction.
The problem is, they don't really enforce zoning and code violations particularly well. If they can see something from the street, great. Otherwise good luck. You could have Noah's Ark in the back yard when someone comes by but if the animals aren't poking up from behind the house or making noises when the person gets out of the car that's all the investigating they can do. Their hands are tied so far as actually looking inside a house; they can't even take into account open windows or doors unless someone inside comes to the door and opens it to talk. People indoors can ignore the code officer at the door and all they can do is knock again and go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio