Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 03:24 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,303,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

And it almost appears that they are the same photo, with the glasses added afterward, doesn't it?!?
I don't know know about the glasses being photoshopped, but the picture has definitely been altered for some reason. Compare the right sides of the photos along the outside edges of his hair. The blue background was definitely airbrushed in the photo with his glasses.

This is one book you can judge by it's cover. Ick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 05:23 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,167,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
A retired E-9 (CMSgt) would make over $3000/month in retirement pay on average, so it's not an unsubstantial amount!

However, you are correct in that most military retirees go on to second and even third careers after leaving the military; but also consider that enlisted retirees can be as young as 37 and on average are only in their early 40s when they retire, so it is a bit young to be "fully" retired.

The one question I have is that retirees are subject to being recalled to active duty until a certain age (60), if he gets incarcerated I wonder how that might affect his retiree status.

Also, VA benefits are affected if a beneficiary is convicted of a felony and imprisoned for more than 60 days. Additionally, persons convicted of a federal or state capital crime are barred from receiving VA burial benefits.

But honestly, all that is the least of his worries!

Cheers! M2
$3000/month? I had no idea monthly retirement could be that high, even for a CMSgt. Listening to the retired military folks I've worked with here in San Antonio over the years talk about it, you'd think they would be paupers if they had to rely solely on their military retirement.

But yes, I can understand why someone in their 30s or 40s would want a second career after retiring from military service. They've got too much productivity left to just hang it up at that age. I think it's more that, than the lack of retirement income that motivates them to continue working, or start new careers.

And as was probably the case with Mike Yuchnitz, having that stable income stream makes it easier for them to take risks by starting new business ventures. At least they have their retirement income to fall back on, if their business fails. And right now, it appears that he might have to rely more heavily on his military retirement than he has in the past, assuming he gets to keep it.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM

57 posts, read 157,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I still cannot find any reliable information on the internet regarding the theory that a .22 bullet will not create an exit wound thus creating more damage because it can bounce around inside the body. Unable to find any information that either verifies this or not.

Even if not true perhaps Yuchnitz believed this. If true that shooting someone with a .22 handgun will not create an exit wound then it would be easier to shoot someone in your vehicle, home, or place of business without having lots of mess or evidence left behind..
In crime fiction it is commonly mentioned that a .22 handgun is often times the weapon of choice of experienced hitmen, as .22s have enough power to get inside the crainal vault, but not enough power to get out of it, and the result is that it supposedly bounces inside the cranium like a marble, causing instant death.

I asked my forensic pathologist friend about this, and she couldn't confirm it, but she did say she remembers doing an autopsy where the decedent used a shotgun to kill himself. But interestingly, before doing the autopsy, x-rays also revealed two slugs lodged in the cranial bone. Apparently, before turning to the shotgun, the decedent had tried to shoot himself with a .22 a couple of times, but failed to kill himself, as the bullets did not penetrate through the crainal bone.

Sorry if this is too graphic.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 PM

61,154 posts, read 85,977,665 times
Quote:
I still cannot find any reliable information on the internet regarding the theory that a .22 bullet will not create an exit wound thus creating more damage because it can bounce around inside the body. Unable to find any information that either verifies this or not.

Some info here:
CALIBERS FOR DEFENSE Article--Shoot-N-Iron Practical Shooting and Training Academy

Caliber - 22 Caliber

Just how deadly is the 22 magnum revolver?

Gunshot Wounds | Mahoney Criminal Defense Group

Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,844,467 times
@ elnina now I am more confused but I have a feeling Yuchnitz likes to play dirty and whether or not it is true the fact that a .22 can make your organs turn into something like jelly sounds very painful. Liver purée anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I don't know know about the glasses being photoshopped, but the picture has definitely been altered for some reason. Compare the right sides of the photos along the outside edges of his hair. The blue background was definitely airbrushed in the photo with his glasses.
Doubt it was airbrushed. If anything the distortion is due to converting the image from another format into jpg using low quality image software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
I asked my forensic pathologist friend about this, and she couldn't confirm it, but she did say she remembers doing an autopsy where the decedent used a shotgun to kill himself. But interestingly, before doing the autopsy, x-rays also revealed two slugs lodged in the cranial bone. Apparently, before turning to the shotgun, the decedent had tried to shoot himself with a .22 a couple of times, but failed to kill himself, as the bullets did not penetrate through the crainal bone.

Not too graphic for me but definitely eerie, especially so near Halloween and DDLM. Reminds me of the song Suicidal Failure by Suicidal Tendencies.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:50 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,988,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
In crime fiction it is commonly mentioned that a .22 handgun is often times the weapon of choice of experienced hitmen, as .22s have enough power to get inside the crainal vault, but not enough power to get out of it, and the result is that it supposedly bounces inside the cranium like a marble, causing instant death.

Not graphic at all, but as an aspiring physician, this makes me wonder about using medical resources for dead people. I understand that knowing what happened is important, but I just feel a little bit uneasy seeing that scarce resources are used on corpses as opposed to living people who have a chance to add to society.

You hear about that story about that kid's brain being found at the morgue by his former classmates? And then they told his parents (who didn't know) about it? Brutal.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:44 AM

The news was not clear but Yuchnitz was in the hospital?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,988,521 times
Quote:
The news was not clear but Yuchnitz was in the hospital?
All they said was that after he was released after having (presumably) paid bond, he was taken to the hospital. No further elaboration was given.

Make of that what you will.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:54 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,414,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Not graphic at all, but as an aspiring physician, this makes me wonder about using medical resources for dead people. I understand that knowing what happened is important, but I just feel a little bit uneasy seeing that scarce resources are used on corpses as opposed to living people who have a chance to add to society.

You hear about that story about that kid's brain being found at the morgue by his former classmates? And then they told his parents (who didn't know) about it? Brutal.
Studying the dead is beneficial to the living. Dead bodies are the best to study because you can study cause of death and slice 'em up however you want. This not only helps doctors in knowing what to do when dealing with patients possibly facing the same kind of death, but ballistics is crucial when trying to find a killer who might kill again.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
All they said was that after he was released after having (presumably) paid bond, he was taken to the hospital. No further elaboration was given.

Make of that what you will.
I wonder if he got roughed up in jail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio