Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times

Advertisements

Exactly what I meant. People here in S.A. are more self reliant than most.
Also the highest number of children without medical insurance in the country is another dubious win for Texas in the earnings statistics category.
Many, many of these honest prople are the working poor.
Still our economy moves ahead. As an example...
San Antonio voters have invested over one billion dollars in the last five years into the city's infrastructure.
The city of Detroit runs a 200 million dollar deficit annually. City services are so drastically being cut there
that the Detoit Assoc. of Police Officers has issued a pulic statement ," VISITORS-Enter Detroit at your won risk" , they cannot guarantee your safety there are not enough officers ON PATROL there because of cutbacks, the fireman's boots have holes in them, there are 45,000 abandoned houses in Detroit etc, streets are potholed , street lamps are inoperable, school budgets slashed ............
I lived up north for a long time. People living here just do not recognize the vibrancy of S.A.'s economy
or of its' workforce. The demand for cheap labor is alive and well.
Retired military have every right to work here and retire here, they have earned this privilege of course.
Noone is arguing against that and the Govt. contributes a very large percentage of San Antonio's
wealth and income.
Retirees also get hired into beloved GS jobs or private sector jobs yes, and shrink demand for
local talent and so contribute to a lower wage rate, less demand equals lower price ,this is the law of supply and demand, right ?
Another reason for San Antonio's wealth is the influx of undocumented. The ready supply of cheap labor
assures companies that profits will be there. Ranchers, farmers, landscapers, construction, and many other industries rely on this factor of this economic equation.
In a one sentence reply to a question by a sensationlistic mouthed reporter in a CNN interview last
year Castro said describing San Antonio's economy, "San Antonio is the Avatar, an example of the city of the future." San Antonio is not a poverty stricken city. We do well. Other cities would be wise to emulate.

All of this information, along with the statistics for them was contained in a reply by Texas Monthly Magazine to Rick Perry for his personal claim of responsibility on national television for the " Texas Miracle" of economic growth in the last few years .
This economic growth of course- Perry attempted to take credit for during the earlier Rep. Pres. Nom. Debates.
Perry had won the coveted "Bum Steer of the Month Award " of Texas Monthly after the debate for the misinfo. for the Month in one issue this year. They cleared the air.
Thanks motoreater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreater View Post
I wish I could import your mindset up north. People up here think everyone needs to earn 6 figure salaries and live in beautiful gentrified neighborhoods with perfect schools and every amenity known to western civilization. They would be surprised by what they see taking a drive around 1604. Every store they cry for, all the housing developments they want and all the schools they will pay for are there or will be built. They need to learn to do more with less up here instead of crying for the government to do something about it. It is actually quite sickening.

The really weird thing is they want all of this built in their neighborhoods as they love to complain about driving to do any shopping. Anytime I am down there I have to remember driving to/from places is the norm when way outside of 1604. I miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 06:28 AM

106 posts, read 152,946 times
What do you mean by retired military take their beloved GS jobs and private sector jobs, yet shrinks demand for local talent and contributes to lower wages? This all contradicts each other.
The "local talent", as you say, would not even qualify for most GS positions that retirees are hired for. Many are highly skilled, technical postions which require college degrees, if not graduate degrees. They require security clearances and good credit reports. You must also be a legal citizen for these jobs.
Actually, you should be thankful for these people. They are the ones who spend, shop, eat out, and purchase things which keep the local economy going.
I'm sorry, but I do disagree with your view that SA doesn't have poverty problems. There are way too many people reliant on welfare programs (which are funded by our workers, including the military retirees you feel are a negative).
I'm hoping you can explain more because I do understand some of your points.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Retired military have every right to work here and retire here, they have earned this privilege of course.
Noone is arguing against that and the Govt. contributes a very large percentage of San Antonio's
wealth and income.
Retirees also get hired into beloved GS jobs or private sector jobs yes, and shrink demand for
local talent and so contribute to a lower wage rate, less demand equals lower price ,this is the law of supply and demand, right ?
An explanation, first, many of the General Schedule (GS) federal jobs with the DoD you refer to require very unique skill sets. Most of these skill sets are only achieved over a career time period (20+ years) of service in uniform. Simply put, there are zero private sector employees or Joe Q. Public types walking around out there with the qualifications to land these jobs. Second, due to the decisions of the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC), many large commands were shuffled around. The logic behind this decision was two-fold. First, it improved security by moving the larger commands behind gates and guards on existing DoD installations, and second, it drastically reduced the amount the DoD was paying in rental/lease payments for the commercial properties these commands previously occupied. One of the largest commands on Joint Base San Antonio relocated here in 2010 based on the BRAC decisions. Many of the employees relocated from the DC area with the command, and a smaller number were hired locally.

Retirees do not shrink demand for local talent. The jobs they fill post-retirement are unique positions, with many qualifications that non-retirees simply cannot meet. Security clearances are very expensive to obtain for private sector companies, and the Government. If an potential employee already has a valid security clearance, this saves either the private sector company or Government agency hiring the position a boat load of time and money. Second, as previously stated, many of the positions are based on skills acquired through experience in what the Army calls a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS), other services have other names, but simply put, this is a list of numbers and letters that describe your main job and any special proficiencies related to the job. In my line of work, there are no non-military folks with the required skill set walking around out there. It is a skill only gained via military service.

Finally, I would add that "beloved" GS jobs are not all they are cracked up to be. GS employees are going on the third year with no cost of living increase in salary. Additionally, I received a significantly higher compensation in the private sector, despite all the propaganda out there about how cushy GS jobs are. The higher compensation in the private sector included a higher base salary, and things like profit sharing that are not available in public sector employment. I left the private sector so I could continue to take care of Soldiers and make in impact on their quality of life. They have endured over 10 years of sustained combat operations, the least they deserve is some quality of life.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:21 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,198 times
It's important to note that education is not a priority in many of the Hispanic dominated parts of the US I've observed. It's cultural to some extent, folks. I've even seen students get pressure from their families to LEAVE college to work at walmart or have children.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:06 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Yes OP, the shooting & rollover at 151 & Wiseman yesterday should tell you enough about how stupid some people can be in this town.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 PM

Default Misunderstood,

Some of my relatives have held GS jobs. Firstly, I did not say anthing about retired military being a negative.
It is a positive, if you look back I mentioned that the Govt. adds a lot of income to San Antonio and adds to
the prosperity of the city, of course.
Not all retired military land beloved GS jobs. Many end up as retail managers or in other occupations that are non-technical.
It has been this way for a very long time TexasStrat.
Not singling out veterans was another.
In fact, I wrote that the influx of the undocumented and retired military add to the economic wealth and income of the city and of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
An explanation, first, many of the General Schedule (GS) federal jobs with the DoD you refer to require very unique skill sets. Most of these skill sets are only achieved over a career time period (20+ years) of service in uniform. Simply put, there are zero private sector employees or Joe Q. Public types walking around out there with the qualifications to land these jobs. Second, due to the decisions of the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC), many large commands were shuffled around. The logic behind this decision was two-fold. First, it improved security by moving the larger commands behind gates and guards on existing DoD installations, and second, it drastically reduced the amount the DoD was paying in rental/lease payments for the commercial properties these commands previously occupied. One of the largest commands on Joint Base San Antonio relocated here in 2010 based on the BRAC decisions. Many of the employees relocated from the DC area with the command, and a smaller number were hired locally.

Retirees do not shrink demand for local talent. The jobs they fill post-retirement are unique positions, with many qualifications that non-retirees simply cannot meet. Security clearances are very expensive to obtain for private sector companies, and the Government. If an potential employee already has a valid security clearance, this saves either the private sector company or Government agency hiring the position a boat load of time and money. Second, as previously stated, many of the positions are based on skills acquired through experience in what the Army calls a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS), other services have other names, but simply put, this is a list of numbers and letters that describe your main job and any special proficiencies related to the job. In my line of work, there are no non-military folks with the required skill set walking around out there. It is a skill only gained via military service.

Finally, I would add that "beloved" GS jobs are not all they are cracked up to be. GS employees are going on the third year with no cost of living increase in salary. Additionally, I received a significantly higher compensation in the private sector, despite all the propaganda out there about how cushy GS jobs are. The higher compensation in the private sector included a higher base salary, and things like profit sharing that are not available in public sector employment. I left the private sector so I could continue to take care of Soldiers and make in impact on their quality of life. They have endured over 10 years of sustained combat operations, the least they deserve is some quality of life.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:26 AM

106 posts, read 152,946 times
Please don't "lump" undocumented people in with military retirees, or any veterans, for that matter. It's an insult to my wife, who has worked and served since she was 18. You are comparing night to day.

Last edited by blaircedarbank; 10-18-2012 at 05:43 AM..

Old 10-18-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Some of my relatives have held GS jobs. Firstly, I did not say anthing about retired military being a negative.
It is a positive, if you look back I mentioned that the Govt. adds a lot of income to San Antonio and adds to
the prosperity of the city, of course.
Not all retired military land beloved GS jobs. Many end up as retail managers or in other occupations that are non-technical.
It has been this way for a very long time TexasStrat.
Not singling out veterans was another.
In fact, I wrote that the influx of the undocumented and retired military add to the economic wealth and income of the city and of the state.
I was answering your direct inference that veterans taking GS jobs (beloved, your word, used twice now) shrink the demand for local talent. Local talent generally does not posses the unique qualifications to fill most of the specialized GS positions occupied by retirees.

I further explained that the (beloved) GS jobs are not as glamorous as the media would have you believe. I made significantly more in the private sector after retiring from active duty. I opted to take a Government position to still have an impact on taking care of Soldiers and their families. Not sure where you link any of the points you are making in your reply to anything contained in my previous post.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:46 PM

Default Just repeating,

Maybe, this time, you now could explain to me any, texas strat, " direct inferences" in what I have entered here regarding veterans. Only repeating here "beloved jobs" , they are good jobs as the "link" I guess..
Veterans or other groups sometimes deserve through great personal merit , I believe , a
better than even chance of winning the race for employment. Seriously. Whatever message you think you've gotten out of anything I posted here contrary to that topic is way- off base. No pun intended.
What I entered here was the idea that the relocation of retired military personnel supplies a ready labor force, upon retirement, that would not be available for hire locally otherwise- here in this "Mother -in Law of the Military"- as this town has been called, city. San Antonio. This is a good thing.

I also know that the private sector pays much better than the government does, yes for the same position. Far better.The government retirement plan has always been better however, until late.
I have always worked in the private sector, always. I am a retiree now. Yes, we actually produced a product.
Here is another one for you...............

SAAMA. An acromym. Remember that local fed. govt. term? Probably not. From many years ago.
The AIR FORCE has always had a big presence here in San Antonio, for a long, long time.
SAN ANTONIO AIR MATERIAL MANAGEMENT is what the acronym used to stand for. I don't know if anyone here, could remember these terms, someone might. I HAVEN'T SEEN IT USED ANYMORE in a long time;
and local humor said.
Maybe SAAMA was actually an acronym for, regarding the large number of hispanic federal employees that were working at K.A.F.B. etc.-
SAAMA really meant "SAN ANTONIO'S ALL MEXICAN ARMY ".
A bit more of the local humor from the sixties regarding the ,mixing, for the lack of a better word, of civil service jobs and those who are regarded as immigrants here.
My high school drafting teacher was the author of that last and more descriptive and colorful acronym.
He had a great sense of humor.
Also quoted from Texas Monthly Magazine was the economic "Texas Miracle" of late-in which San Antonio has a large role. Much of the Texas Miracle was credited to the influx of Federal monies into Texas and the economic stimulus provided by the labor of undocumented immigrants that add so much to the Texas economy. I cannot remember the figures , but the numbers are very big , so large as can not be unregarded, as contributing so much to our economy here. All of these statistics are enumerated in one issue of Texas Monthly . July , I think. Can't be sure.
There is another very large and revealing article regarding the mess , environmental, made in the Dallas
area in and around some very old electrical generating , obsolete and closed coal plants there.
Disasters, huge ones. I am not sure if the articles are in the same issue or not. Shocking read.
Incidentally -The guy that started this "dumb" thread, Dopo*, has moved on to Houston over a year ago anyway- by the way. I think he likes it better there and writes, it reminds him of St. Louis, mo.
QUOTE=TXStrat;26560986]I was answering your direct inference that veterans taking GS jobs (beloved, your word, used twice now) shrink the demand for local talent. Local talent generally does not posses the unique qualifications to fill most of the specialized GS positions occupied by retirees.

I further explained that the (beloved) GS jobs are not as glamorous as the media would have you believe. I made significantly more in the private sector after retiring from active duty. I opted to take a Government position to still have an impact on taking care of Soldiers and their families. Not sure where you link any of the points you are making in your reply to anything contained in my previous post.[/quote]

Old 10-19-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
local talent and so contribute to a lower wage rate,
less demand equals lower price ,this is the law of supply and demand, right ?
The above quote is the one that I have referenced in my two replies. You stated that retirees get hired into GS jobs and shrink demand for local talent, and contribute to a lower wage rate. I explained that retirees have acquired specialized skill sets that qualify them for some of the more specialized GS positions. As stated, this does not shrink demand for local talent as the non-military local talent does not have the unique qualifications required. It's apples and oranges and has no impact on the local employment pool or wage rates.

Not sure why you are trying to spin it or walk it back. You stated it quite clearly in the quote from your post above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio