Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:03 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,930,452 times

Advertisements

I have always found the holiday Día de los Muertos ("Day of the Dead") to be very interesting, a celebration of the lives of those departed.

I know most of the activities occur at grave sites, but began to wonder if there is any other celebrations that occur here in San Antonio?

So a Google search showed that the Official San Antonio Visitors' Information web site has some information, but when I tried to go to the links they weren't working. Other sites show activities within the art community such as the Blue Star.

Then I found an excellent web site, SA Calaveras, which has lots of good info.

But I still have to ask, does anyone know of any other events or celebrations going on for Día de los Muertos? If so, post 'em up!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 06:37 AM

What, no responses? Is it too pagan?!?

Old 11-01-2010, 06:37 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,858,893 times
Does anyone know the history of the holiday in San Antonio? Not the history of the holiday itself but how long they have been celebrating it in town? I know for the last 10 or 15 years it has become more popular but I don't remember any Day of the Dead celebrations in town in the 1980's.

It seems like a recent import, maybe more recent immigrants brought it with them, or maybe people just read about it and wanted to do it here. In either case, even if I am Mexican (Tejano), it just seems like a foreign concept, not something I remember growing up with, nor remember anyone in my extended family celebrating it, or any friends.

Not saying it is bad or anything but maybe this is why there has been no responses since it is not part of local tradition?

Old 11-01-2010, 06:44 AM

From the link I posted above...

Quote:
Since 1977, Centro Cultural Aztlan has opened its doors to tourists and residents to take part in the biggest and oldest Dia de los Muertos Celebration paying tribute to this ancient tradition...
But most of the events listed on the calendar (at least the ones that give any indication of how long they've been going on!) are five years old or less.

I do love their official logo, though!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-01-2010, 06:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,858,893 times
Ya, I love the imagery. The Candyman: Day of the Dead movie was pretty good too as far as I remember. Maybe it was just a West Side thing for the longest? Maybe I just did not get out enough.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,357,443 times
I think it's interesting too, in a macabre sort of way. I LOVE the painted sugar skulls but it grosses me out that they used to use real ones. Ew.

At HEB they had beautifully colored flowers for the holiday. Colors not found in nature but cool anyway! I almost got some just because of that.

Not pagan if you ask any good Mexican Catholic...but it started as an Aztec ritual so...LOL.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:03 PM

144 posts, read 359,282 times
Lots of info on Dia de los Muertos at

San Antonio Current - Events Calendar

Old 11-01-2010, 03:53 PM

On a side note, I wonder why VisitSanAntonio.com is running so poorly?!?

When it finally came up, it listed these events:

Quote:
Día de los Muertos Event Highlights:

Los Altares Del Mercado - Market Square: October 17 – Nov. 2
Colorful altares decorated with flowers, photographs of loved ones and traditional pan de muerto can be found at Market Square, the nation’s largest Mexican market.

Coffins on Parade – San Antonio River Walk: October 31
This free and eerie evening parade delights onlookers with floating coffins along the San Antonio River.

Día de los Muertos: La Ofrenda - Southwest School of Art & Craft: November 2
Southwest School of Art & Craft artists, staff, students and friends are invited to bring personal offerings to honor the memory of an ancestor.

Muertito Fest - SAY Sí: November 7
SAY Sí celebrates with its Día de los Muertos Festival featuring altar workshops, music stages, film screenings, community altars, crafts and food booths.

Carnival de los Muertos - URBAN 15: November 1
URBAN-15 celebrates the joyful memories of departed friends and family in a parade of dancing and drumming by performers in muerto (dead) costumes.

Día de los Muertos Exhibit and Altar - Mission San José: October 31 - November 2
This three-day, park-sponsored event provides activities and programs to explain the history, symbolism and relevance behind Día de los Muertos. Ofrendas will be on display in the visitor center and church.

Other Día de los Muertos events can be found at visitsanantonio.com or by calling 800-ALAMO-07.
Cheers! M2

Old 11-01-2010, 05:51 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,674,575 times
Yes, the imagery of Dia de los Muertos is quite macabre. But, it is actually quite a sweet holiday to me. You are remembering your loved ones, celebrating their memory.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:14 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,481,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
From the link I posted above...

But most of the events listed on the calendar (at least the ones that give any indication of how long they've been going on!) are five years old or less.

I do love their official logo, though!

Cheers! M2
Reminds me of a Grateful Dead poster.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio