Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:49 PM

574 posts, read 1,337,938 times

Advertisements

@ the OP...

If crime has grown ten fold where is the police presence? Siphoning gas twice a week from cars seems very "brazen" as you put it lol, do you have a Neighborhood Watch program? Crime is a consequence of life, we can not escape it no matter how many gated and secure (real or percieved) communities we build. There should have been a strong rally for more patrolmen in your subdivision or perhaps private security hired by your HOA (if you have one). Has anyone contacted 311/ACS for the stray dog problem?

It must be tough living near junkies all hopped up on prescription drugs, breath reeking of unleaded gasoline with unruly, uncouth mutts roaming the streets.

Maybe you should get a block club started, and if one already exists, organize and get people active to help prevent some of the crime from escalating. Good luck.

Drop some of those dogs off in my neighborhood, my neighbors seem to think their wayward cats having free roam of the block is just fine. It wouldn't be so bad except for when I'm coming home anywhere after midnight and they are all darting back and forth across the street. Sometimes they like to leave dead birds in the yard, that's always a delight to pick up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 11:01 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
How about CCTV for the high crimes areas? It might be worth the investment for the peace of mind. They get caught on camera and the picture is crisp enough to identify their faces, they are history. Don't forget we have the Castle Law, they break into your house you can legally waste them.

http://www.rc123.com/texas_castle_doctrine.html

Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Before too many other people start posting in this thread I'd just like to say I hope this thread doesn't turn into a "section 8 hate" thread like we've had in the past. It's my own personal and probably social worker opinion that people are people and there are bad people everywhere.
You're right....but can you explain to me why it is that Section 8 housing seems to be SO easy to spot - trash laying about, multiple (non-running) cars in the drive/street, unkept yards and just a general look of disrepair? I've rented to Section 8 in the past - and would never do so again (won't be a landlord again, but that's another topic...). While you're right that NOT being Section 8 isn't a guarantee, I know enough landlords to know that those that ARE Section 8 are often the bottom of the food chain.

Don't get me wrong - we grew up poor, and to this day I've got friends that think living well means that you have enough money to buy TWO pairs of second-hand shoes.....but they take care of what they have, keep their places neat and clean, and wouldn't dream of tearing up the place they live in. There ARE many like that - unfortunately (as with so many other things in life) those that don't do it right really stand out - and all it takes is a few of 'em to destroy a neighborhood.

So, yeah - take each one on a case-by-case basis, but if you tell me that "affordable housing" is going to be built in MY immediate area, I *will* be moving ASAP.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:44 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
You're right....but can you explain to me why it is that Section 8 housing seems to be SO easy to spot - trash laying about, multiple (non-running) cars in the drive/street, unkept yards and just a general look of disrepair? I've rented to Section 8 in the past - and would never do so again (won't be a landlord again, but that's another topic...). While you're right that NOT being Section 8 isn't a guarantee, I know enough landlords to know that those that ARE Section 8 are often the bottom of the food chain.
I wish i had a good answer. I'm not an expert on the topic. For me, I see it as a good combination of apartment management and pride in ownership/rentership.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Let's stay on topic and keep this thread useful to the OP by discussing the area she was referring to, rather than areas or streets with similar names:

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Antonio Sarah View Post
Larklair St is actually a pretty quiet road to live in (until the estate was built). It is off O'connor Road between HEB and the bridge.

Start another thread if you have concerns about another area.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:05 PM

13 posts, read 74,400 times
I am not actually from around here at all so I am not familiar with some of the sub divisions/areas that have been mentioned, but Larklair St has, until recently, been a lovely, quiet, friendly little street with great neighbors and no trouble.
I certainly don't mean to offend anyone by directing my accusations at the majority of low-income estate occupants, but proof is kind of in the pudding since they built the ones in the next street (Lark Cove or something like that). I am in total agreement with one poster though, about how low-income streets always seem to be dirty and unkempt and this one is no exception.
It seems to me that if people cannot take pride in their own homes and neighborhoods, then why should they care about those of us around them?

But back to the subject in hand...

I wouldn't have a clue as to how to approach the issue of a regular police presence, nor do I have the funds to install security cameras. Fortunately, we're not in a POA/HOA, but I do believe there's neighborhood watch signs up around the area (some good they do!).
The thefts have all happened in the early hours of the morning (I stay up pretty late and when I take my dog out before bed at around 2am, I always see the same teens from the low income housing estate hanging around on the corner of our street), so it's hard not to assume things about them.

If anything, I think better street lighting would be a good deterrent because those streets are so dark at night and it's easy to duck behind a car if a cop happens to be driving by, plus these thieves think nothing of marching up your driveway to steal your gasoline, so what else are they capable of?
It's worrying.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:27 PM

574 posts, read 1,337,938 times
Quote:
But back to the subject in hand...

I wouldn't have a clue as to how to approach the issue of a regular police presence, nor do I have the funds to install security cameras. Fortunately, we're not in a POA/HOA, but I do believe there's neighborhood watch signs up around the area (some good they do!).
How about contact the local police precinct? If you and your neighbors are that upset about the problem, you ALL should make the call.

It's YOUR neighborhood, maybe you should participate in the neighborhood watch instead of criticizing their effectiveness.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:15 PM

13 posts, read 74,400 times
Quote:
It's YOUR neighborhood, maybe you should participate in the neighborhood watch instead of criticizing their effectiveness.
In the early hours of the morning? Some of us do work, ya know.
And with all due respect, my comment about the effectiveness of the neighborhood watch wasn't a criticism, it was an observation. They established their members long before I moved here and clearly it's not in the slightest bit effective.
An extra member isn't going to miraculously lower the crime rate, is it?
However, the local police precinct is a good starting point.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:02 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
In the early hours of the morning? Some of us do work, ya know.
And with all due respect, my comment about the effectiveness of the neighborhood watch wasn't a criticism, it was an observation. They established their members long before I moved here and clearly it's not in the slightest bit effective.
An extra member isn't going to miraculously lower the crime rate, is it?
However, the local police precinct is a good starting point.
Sarah.....under the law, there is *no* requirement for the police to protect you or your property specifically. As such, it behooves you to take a proactive role in the protection of your property.
With regards to the lack of effectiveness of your local neighborhood watch program - have you actually taken the time to get to know any of them? After all - why is it THEIR fault that you're having problems if you won't even take the time to TRY to be of help?

Please - NONE of this is *aimed* at you per se - rather, it's "aimed" at folks in general to make them understand that ultimately, each of us is responsible for our own personal security. That's why I have alarms, motion detectors, cameras, safes....and the means to protect myself in the seconds that count when the cops are just minutes away.

By becoming more aware of your surroundings and investing some of your own time (getting to know the NW folks, with contact numbers to reach for suspicious activity, etc), you're going to help ALL of your neighborhood develop the reputation of being "watched" - and the scummy thieves will go elsewhere. Trust Me on this - get involved, or it WILL get worse until SOMEONE does!!!!

Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM

107 posts, read 277,511 times
san antonio sarah, have you spoken with any of your neighbors to see if they are having similar troubles or as far as the whole block? everyone couldnt be gone at precisely the same time i would think. i dont live in the most crime free neighborhood but i have the power of nosy neighbors and we all look out for each other.

the trick to making thieves go away is making easier to steal somewhere else. they are lazy by nature otherwise they would get a darn job. motion light switches and locking gas caps run about as much as one maybe two tanks of gas (your mileage may vary), and will go far in getting your house passed on the nightly raids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio