Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 08:02 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,656,149 times

Advertisements

Wild hogs tend to go up and down the dry creeks in my area...and root around also in nearby land along the creek. They multiply like rabbits some years. Yes, trapping would be one way to get them. BTW, good solid fences do help. But maybe those that subdivision doesn't allow people to fence off their properties. The local hogs at least don't get inside our fence. But armadillos do. They LOVE to dig in nice amended garden soil!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 09:49 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,887,000 times
I suppose these won't make for any good eating? What about javelinas? Armadillos? Just a couple of other wild animals found in South Texas.

Where did these particular wild hogs come from and are they wild or feral? I don't think they are native to the region though.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:52 PM

443 posts, read 956,548 times
My compound bow, a quick trip to the car wash to blast off the ticks and then it's into the smoker.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,496,678 times
These hogs are not native to this region, that's why they don't have any natural predators. The Texas government wants us to kill as many of them as possible because their numbers have gotten out of control and they're destroying crops. They are feral; they were turned loose about 30 years ago by men wanting to start a feral population for hunting.

Quote:
Hunting has not curbed the number of feral hogs. These feral hogs are rooting up and destroying some $52 million in damages in Texas each year.
Quote:
I remember back some 30-plus years that some men were turning pigs loose in Wilson County so as to have feral hog hunting year-round in the future. They never realized just what they started. They have very high reproduction dynamics. A sow starts breeding at nine months to a year of age. She can have two litters a year. Thus I read in Southwest Farm Progress that one sow could add a possible 5,000 more feral hogs to the growing herds in just five years. That is through her and her offspring.
Wild hogs a problem for agriculture

Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 AM

952 posts, read 1,263,920 times
I heard this story waws going to be mentioned on the news. Out here in the Schertz-Cibolo area east of San Antonio haven't seen any wild hogs. I sometimes drive home 1518 at night either going to or coming from TJMAXX at The Forum, but what I see are deer, who hang out down in the Cibolo Creek dry creek bed and up in the woods in Universal City, no wild hogs here.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:08 PM

Awesome info thx meisha.

I wonder if the deer and the hogs get along or if they fight for territories or just avoid each other. Deer can be a hazard for the motorists so I wonder what other damage they cause at the homeowner level.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,656,149 times
If anyone wanted to see the wild hogs....and PLEASE don't go near any...they'd probably be moving in groups pretty much at night along the creek areas. They're dangerous...can injure people sometimes. Landscape plants are often deer candy, but deer mostly just munch on the plants. Hogs root down into the ground, leaving it looking real bad and sometimes killing the plants as they root.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:28 PM

923 posts, read 1,504,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
It always amazes me how people continue to move farther and farther outside of the city and then are surprised when the critters invade. It truly sucks to have your yard torn up that way, but isnt that part of the risk you run when you move out there?
Sounds like you're talking about a topic that you know very little about. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
These hogs are not native to this region, that's why they don't have any natural predators. The Texas government wants us to kill as many of them as possible because their numbers have gotten out of control and they're destroying crops. They are feral; they were turned loose about 30 years ago by men wanting to start a feral population for hunting.
Meisha210 is exactly right. These hogs are not native, many of them are wild or escaped from farms and became wild. They are very destructive to land and property. I deer hunt every year, and people throughout Texas are grateful when you also kill the hogs. Only problem is they are harder to shoot than deer. The smaller ones are hard targets to hit; the big ones are not worth eating. One missed shot and they scatter like pinballs. They can run very fast. Some people trap them, some shoot them. My late grandfather was chased by some and had to climb up a tree and wait a couple of hours before they would leave. They are a menace. Next year when I get my AR-15, I will be doing my part and getting some pork for the freezer though.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:09 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,457,191 times
Please be gentle with the creatures.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:23 AM

Aww don't worry, at least the ones in the city are safe.

I also think Sabres had a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio