Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:10 AM

905 posts, read 1,631,478 times

Advertisements

I heard talk radio KTSA is feeling the blues; either they filed BK or soon to file. Advertisers are pulling out as MP3 players are increasingly popular. Radio stations are scrambling for advertisers dollars.... My radio is mostly tuned to KSYM 90.1 or NPR 89.1, when not listening to my cds'. The rest is crap; there isn't any type of music out there I can't download off my computer and burn onto a CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 08:15 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
Where's Ron Houston and Joe Anthony of KEXL fame when you need them?

Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Another factor with MP3 players and the decline of radio are podcasts. I download NPR's Car Talk, Texas Blues Cafe, Mark Kerr's Blues Nation and his Rock Show sessions, as well as a bunch of others. I haven't found a good alternative podcast that mimic 90.1's playlist, if anyone has a recommendation I am all ears!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-16-2010, 08:59 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Personally for $15/mo Sirius is worth every penny.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Another factor with MP3 players and the decline of radio are podcasts. I download NPR's Car Talk, Texas Blues Cafe, Mark Kerr's Blues Nation and his Rock Show sessions, as well as a bunch of others. I haven't found a good alternative podcast that mimic 90.1's playlist, if anyone has a recommendation I am all ears!

Cheers! M2
Majormadmax,
try Zeilsteen alternative Radio out of Holland.
Zeilsteen Alternative Rock Radio

Old 11-16-2010, 10:17 AM

443 posts, read 954,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I haven't found a good alternative podcast that mimic 90.1's playlist, if anyone has a recommendation I am all ears!

Cheers! M2
From the university which can't decide upon a name in San Marcos:

89.9 - The Other Side of Radio

....and don't forget the local Trinity University station after 10pm.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:06 AM

291 posts, read 607,988 times
I love my XM radio.. I cannot live without it and I am a cheap SOB, but i was tired the stations around here, just poor quality even KSYM was ok. Why settle for subpar at best, when you can listen to what you want. Worth every penny imo.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:42 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Most of the 106.7 talk lineup moved down the dial to 92.5, where it was kept mostly intact and in the same time slots until Clark Howard was moved to evenings a couple of weeks ago. Those shows can still be heard there.
I don't buy that excuse, as if people over 35 don't listen to alternative music.
I think the radio stations have created a monopoly and don't want to give people "free music" on the radio, instead, give people the same songs that you find in a jukebox in any cheap bar, forcing them to go out and buy music (more profitable).

Have you noticed that after 1 year, no station ever plays the hit songs from 2-3 years before? If they play "hits", they only play the ones that want to sell you (as if they had a contract with the record companies).

That also includes the stations in Spanish, that I listen to all the time.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:22 PM

443 posts, read 954,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't buy that excuse, as if people over 35 don't listen to alternative music.
I wouldn't buy that either, since I'm on the downward slope towards 50.

We actually did have a commercial alternative station briefly around '87 (92.9?). They came in and were completely commercial free for the first month. They had two problems: KSYM was at the top of their game at that time with (In my opinion) the absolute best line-up of DJs. Their other weakness being their playlist was more limited than KSYMs (there's only so much Simple Minds and Echo and the Bunnymen one can take). The DJs at KSYM became completely incensed over the competition and rolled out the first 24 hour format for the station. After 3am they dropped censorship of the songs and a lot of wild music got played (as well as some fairly intoxicated DJ ramblings). The station changed formats shortly afterwards.

...and ggeorgie, Third Coast Music Network is NOT a new addition at all. If I recall correctly, it's been on for the last 25 years or so. ...and yeah, Texas country is definitely alternative

Old 11-16-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
I wouldn't buy that either, since I'm on the downward slope towards 50.

...and ggeorgie, Third Coast Music Network is NOT a new addition at all. If I recall correctly, it's been on for the last 25 years or so. ...and yeah, Texas country is definitely alternative
Rapscallion,

sorry, not my quote..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio