Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 AM

905 posts, read 2,958,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch390 View Post
I tried doing a search on this, but came up with nothing.. Can you send your child to a school other than the one assigned to their address? My grand-daughter will be in K next year, and would be going to Serna on the NE side... I would really like her to go to the Northwood elem. off Harry Wuzbach, which is right near where I live. Do people use relatives' addresses, or do you just request that they go to the other school? Help.
I'm surprised no one mentioned School Choice.

NEISD News | School Choice for 2011-2012

Quote:
School Choice for 2011-2012

Under School Choice, a parent can request his/her child be transferred to another school within the district other than the one assigned for their residence. School Choice applications for the 2011-2012 school year will be accepted the first business day of January through the last business day of February. Application forms can be picked up at any NEISD campus and submitted at any NEISD campus. All applications will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis using the date and time when the application form was submitted. Parents can submit only one school choice application for each child. In other words, parents may not request multiple schools under this process.

North East ISD does its best to accommodate families' requests; however, students are only transferred if there is space available at the requested school. The District maintains a buffer number of seats at schools in order to have seats available for families moving into the attendance area. If seats are not available at the requested school, applicants will be approved and placed on a waiting list for the school/grade requested. Names on a waiting list that are not offered a seat during the school year will automatically be moved to the next grade level on the waiting list at the end of the school year.

If a child is transferred under School Choice, bus transportation will not be provided to the requested school.

Students transferring by School Choice will be subject to a one calendar year loss of varsity level UIL eligibility.
For more information about School Choice, contact Pupil Personnel Services at (210) 407-0070.

Posted on October 21, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:03 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
That was mentioned in post #17 but you do offer a more expanded view of how that program works. Good thing you posted because the other website mentions a "last day of March" deadline which no longer seems to apply.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
People who are using false or borrowed addresses are usually doing so because they are:

1. out of district, and trying to get into a neighboring district (we see that often out here on the edge of NEISD/JISD/CISD)

2. trying to get into a school which is capped, and therefore unavailable for school choice

3. completely unaware that they may (at least in NEISD, as Catriona mentioned) voluntarily go to any school that has seats available within NEISD.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 16,068 times
how can i get my child into a high school out of my area quickly.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma Goicouria View Post
how can i get my child into a high school out of my area quickly.
The only short-notice options aren't free. You have to apply months in advance to switch public schools.

The private/Catholic/Christian schools are your best bet.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:11 PM

56 posts, read 117,880 times
In NISD you're lucky if you can get your kid in the school that IS assigned to their address. When we first moved here 2 years ago, on /the first day of school/ they tried pulling the 'this grade at this school is capped, you're going to have to step aside until we can figure out where to send you'. This didnt happen where we're from and blew my mind, and when I found that they had initially screwed up and assigned my daughter to the wrong grade and only after realizing the mistake at the last minute did they pull the 'theres no more room in this grade' I read em the riot act and told them that they were going to put my daughter in a classroom, in this school, before the tardy bell rang or there was gonna be a big mess on their hands. Finally worked my way up to the principal who I let know I meant business and had already looked up the number to the superintendant.. and within 10 minutes my child was in the classroom that I chose, with the teacher I chose, sitting where she wanted to sit next to the next door neighbor kid who was the only kid she had met in town at that point. I don't play.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagandad View Post
Finally worked my way up to the principal who I let know I meant business and had already looked up the number to the superintendant.. and within 10 minutes my child was in the classroom that I chose, with the teacher I chose, sitting where she wanted to sit next to the next door neighbor kid who was the only kid she had met in town at that point. I don't play.
Way to model for your child. Did everyone else get to choose their teacher and seat too?

Old 08-18-2011, 02:38 AM

54 posts, read 190,900 times
Anyone know if it's possible to go from district(Judson) to district(NEISD)?

I know a child who is moving to the TPC Pkwy area, the child is assigned to a middle school in Universal City(Judson ISD), and I think it's odd that there is no middle school in this district that is close to this location. A middle school that is close is Tejeda, but that's in NEISD.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:33 AM

782 posts, read 1,108,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagandad View Post
In NISD you're lucky if you can get your kid in the school that IS assigned to their address. When we first moved here 2 years ago, on /the first day of school/ they tried pulling the 'this grade at this school is capped, you're going to have to step aside until we can figure out where to send you'. This didnt happen where we're from and blew my mind, and when I found that they had initially screwed up and assigned my daughter to the wrong grade and only after realizing the mistake at the last minute did they pull the 'theres no more room in this grade' I read em the riot act and told them that they were going to put my daughter in a classroom, in this school, before the tardy bell rang or there was gonna be a big mess on their hands. Finally worked my way up to the principal who I let know I meant business and had already looked up the number to the superintendant.. and within 10 minutes my child was in the classroom that I chose, with the teacher I chose, sitting where she wanted to sit next to the next door neighbor kid who was the only kid she had met in town at that point. I don't play.
Way to go !!!! I did everything I was supposed to do...but was told by NEISD staff that my Mom and Dad would have to be given CUSTODY of my child before she could legally attend the school for their address. This was in 2002...they threatened to start charging tuition if I didn't put her in the school of my address because she came home on weekends (ie not a "permanent resident" at my parents house)...she was miserable after the move to the new school..kids taunted her because she was too white and too thin. She started getting sick but really her heart was broken...the schools in Washington state may not have been as good but the kids were so much nicer.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
Way to go !!!! I did everything I was supposed to do...but was told by NEISD staff that my Mom and Dad would have to be given CUSTODY of my child before she could legally attend the school for their address. This was in 2002...they threatened to start charging tuition if I didn't put her in the school of my address because she came home on weekends (ie not a "permanent resident" at my parents house)...she was miserable after the move to the new school..kids taunted her because she was too white and too thin. She started getting sick but really her heart was broken...the schools in Washington state may not have been as good but the kids were so much nicer.
Wow. There's so mething I never heard of. "Too thin". I thought kids got teased for being too fat. Sometimes you just can't win, I guess. Where did your daughter attend school? Glad she was happier elsewhere.

My divorced friend told me he wanted to used my address because he wanted his daughter to attend Madison, not Roosevelt HS. He said he needed a utility bill with his name on it. I told him sure if planned on paying it for me. He decided to move within the district instead. Besides, isn't that a really old trick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio