Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 19,093 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We will be moving soon from Detroit to SanAntonio and I am trying to find a nice neighborhood with good school.

I have been reading lot of threads in here but still couldn't figure out the areas. My work area will be near WindCrest. Is that a nice place for buying house?

Howz the indian community in SA?

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:39 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
They had the Diwali festival not even two weeks ago here.

Diwali 2010 - San Antonio, Texas

I was talking to an Indian who has been here for 35 years but did not even know about the festival. To be fair it was only the second year they have had it here.

There are two Hindu temples in town, both in the far Northwest side, more or less. It is on the opposite side of town from Windcrest. Live Oak is a nice place to live but if you wish to live closer to other Indians I am not certain where they live so hopefully someone who knows can help you. I remember 15 years ago I would see Indians always visit the Taco Cabana restaurant on Perin Beitel road near Windcrest but that side of town is not so good anymore.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:40 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,435 times
There is a small Indian community in SA.

What is your budget? Areas in and around Windcrest can be rough. It pays to see the exact area before making any commitment to live there.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:41 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymom11 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks.
Which Kind? American or the Country?

Old 11-17-2010, 11:43 AM

Hindu!

A NA would not willingly associate with other NA's just because they are NA. They have tribal identities and know exactly who is who.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:40 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Hindu!

A NA would not willingly associate with other NA's just because they are NA. They have tribal identities and know exactly who is who.
Not necessarily... Indians have the the right to freedom of religion (or no religion).

There are large populations of Muslims, Buddhists, and even Christians in India nowadays.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:42 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymom11 View Post
Hi all,

We will be moving soon from Detroit to SanAntonio and I am trying to find a nice neighborhood with good school.

I have been reading lot of threads in here but still couldn't figure out the areas. My work area will be near WindCrest. Is that a nice place for buying house?

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks.

Any way you can avoid San Antonio altogether? That would be your best bet, IMO.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:47 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Well, the vast majority of people who move here love it; but there will always be the few outliers who blame the city for their inability to find happiness here!

Anyhow, I believe there is a large Indian community over near the Medical Center part of town in addition to those already mentioned.

Oh, and unless you want to move from one disaster area to another, I would avoid southern Commifornia. That would really be your best bet, IMO!

And welcome to San Antonio, where most are welcomed with open arms! There are a few exceptions, but for the most part Texans are friendly to everyone unless they are complete idiots!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
There are large populations of Muslims, Buddhists, and even Christians in India nowadays.
I know. Have a Christian friend from the Southern coast of India and Hindu can also refer to Buddhists and Sikhs but it usually does not.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
And that would be a good topic for the OP to discuss with you via Direct Message, since discussing it here will make it more difficult to receive answers to the questions in the original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio