Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 06:06 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times

Advertisements

People who say "Wha happen?" ... that makes me go hmmmm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 06:19 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,864 times
Didn't read through the whole thread to see if this was mentioned, but the pronunciation of the word " insurance " here in TX sounds soooooo, I guess different to me. And yes I know we are all different and come from different cultures, but it still sounds....ahhhhh different......IN surance.

Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com gives the correct pronunciation of the word...I hope...lol

Old 11-27-2010, 08:17 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
I'm new here and my vent is that the aisles in HEB are so narrow you can hardly stop for anything without holding people up. This is Texas, land is plentiful, so why such small grocery stores? Also, instead of long, continuous aisles, they break them up, so people are constantly stopping at 'intersections' so they don't crash into each other.

Other vents are bad roads that border on third world conditions when it rains, 410 for example.
Hey!!! I didn't say any of this......

Old 11-27-2010, 10:18 PM

500 posts, read 748,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
It looks like the previous poster just combined your line about people stopping with my paragraph which was also about HEB.

Btw, two more vents - littering, as someone said earlier. I'm still shocked when I see people throw things out of their cars. Didn't that go out in the 1970's?!

One more word - scorpions.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:31 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Sorry, the person's quote of your post was messed up so it came out as me quoting you when I was trying to quote them.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:48 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
It looks like the previous poster just combined your line about people stopping with my paragraph which was also about HEB.

Btw, two more vents - littering, as someone said earlier. I'm still shocked when I see people throw things out of their cars. Didn't that go out in the 1970's?!

One more word - scorpions.
Who Scarface was really talking about when he said "meet my little friends" was scorpions and fire ants.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:48 AM

98 posts, read 173,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
To me is like having 2 people ask me something at the same time.
I understand what they are saying, I just feel but for anybody that is not bilingual.

BTW, people in Argentina and Uruguay don't say "Pollo loco" they would say "Posho loco"
You are correct ll and Y are pronounced sh there. It wasn't just the different pronouncations,some words are completely different. Like turkey, he would say it is pavo but here they say guajolote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I'm not bilingual but I can totally follow a conversation if they're using "the mix" - if they're speaking full-on Spanish then I usually get so tired of mentally translating that I just give up!

Well, I much prefer a mixture than all Spanish too. My husband is funny, he can can speak Spanish sufficiently but refuses to. Almost all of the time if someone starts speaking Spanish to him and he says he doesn't know Spanish they will begin to speak English. I guess they just assume since he is hispanic that he is comfortable speaking Spanish.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:39 PM

242 posts, read 665,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergal View Post
Didn't read through the whole thread to see if this was mentioned, but the pronunciation of the word " insurance " here in TX sounds soooooo, I guess different to me. And yes I know we are all different and come from different cultures, but it still sounds....ahhhhh different......IN surance.

Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com gives the correct pronunciation of the word...I hope...lol
What about "CEE-ment"?

Old 11-28-2010, 02:35 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Has anybody mentioned people flicking @$%#$%@# cigarettes out of the cars?

Old 11-28-2010, 04:38 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Has anybody mentioned people flicking @$%#$%@# cigarettes out of the cars?
I was at a red light on Babcock and Hollyhock about 3 years ago, behind this red BMW.....this idiot opens the car door and empties out his ashtray right there on the road! He must smoke five packs a day, going by the amount of cig. butts he dumped out. Well, I got out of my truck, went and scooped up a handfull of this disgusting trash, and threw it in his window all over his pretty suit...told him he dropped something. Called him a few choice names and he sped off with a look on his face I'll never forget....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio