Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 05:10 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

San Antonio's amazingly low level of education for being the 6th largest city in the United States.

#140 out of 200 in "Portfolio's brainiest cities"
http://www.portfolio.com/graphics/BrainiestBastions.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 09:19 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default A Quote,

By Abraham Lincoln could explain San Antonio enduring success, without a highly educated population,

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the
fruit of Labor, and could not have existed if labor had not first existed.
Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."

-Sombody actually has to produce something. A salubrious climate,plenty of space, a ready labor supply and a lot of capital are the conditions for
San Antoio's success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
San Antonio's amazingly low level of education for being the 6th largest city in the United States.

#140 out of 200 in "Portfolio's brainiest cities"
http://www.portfolio.com/graphics/BrainiestBastions.pdf

Old 12-03-2010, 10:17 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
By Abraham Lincoln could explain San Antonio enduring success
You can always find non-educated people to do labor,
but high-tech companies, like the ones you find in Dallas and Houston require a large pool of highly educated population to keep up with their competition.

To put it in few words.... how many things are manufactured in San Antonio and sold outside of San Antonio?

Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
There aren't that many good manufacturing jobs left anywhere in the country. In "right to work states" such as Texas, the wages have gotten pretty low. Everything that can be outsourced will be outsourced. The next thing that's being looked at is outsourcing medical jobs that don't have to be done on-site.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
I think it's the original owner's daughter that's always at Floyds. I knew the Dad, but didn't know much about the family. And they spoke perfect English. I ate there all the time in the 60's and 70's and never was embarrassed and was never made fun of at school.

Within .5 mile of each other it was either Floyds, the first and original Bill Millers, Taco Hut, lunch counter in Highland Hills Pharmacy, Shakey's, or El Rancho. Further away, there was Podnuh's, Frontier, Brown's Mexican Food, Bob's Smokehouse and Reubens tamales. And there was Luby's and lunch counters in Neisner's, Woolworths and Sommers Drug Store in McCreless mall and older than that there was the Highland(or maybe Highlander) Cafeteria in McCreless Village.
Awesome post and your memory brings up some of mine though by time I was growing up half of those places were gone.

Do you remember the pharmacy that used to be on Fair and S New Braunfels, where the current Whataburger is at? I do remember that as a child and you can go in and order something from the lunch counter.

And that small self service and outdoor postal station where you could buy your own stamps from a vending machine. No clerks there it was all DIY.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:41 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
People who dig in their nose and ears in public.

Food and boogers all over library books that are only checked out by adults.

People getting urine and other kinds of soil on toilet seats in public restrooms.

People spitting luggies all over the place.

Small kids with rotten teeth.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:46 AM

693 posts, read 1,502,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
It's a really good movie, Linda. I didn't want to see it but ended up getting engrossed in it. The girl did one of the best acting performances I've ever seen including one of the most (boat scene) dramatic scenes in all of 2010. It's not a family film, but it's actually pretty clean.

What Nick said! A great movie and eye opening.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:56 AM

693 posts, read 1,502,557 times
People who talk on their cellphone while going slow and not paying attention to the road. Your cellphone call can wait until you're done driving.

I love when drivers don't use their blinkers. Um hello, you have blinkers for a reason use them. You're just waiting for an accident to happen.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:59 AM

Default That is it, Dopo,

That is it, we are a sevice sector based economy. Manufacturing has never been in San Antonio, between Immigration, Military employment, civil service, tourism, retail, construction and medicine-biotech the demand for labor is maintained- thus we thrive. That is key. There is money and labor is cheap. All these things come together, here. As Castro says we are the city of the future.
Houston, has similarities of economy, but a sea port with a supply of mineral wealth. It has always, always been a busy and prosperous place. Especially compared to S.A.
Austin derives great benefit from the way Texas economy runs. Housing is very cheap and the attraction of the business climate- business friendly and the thriving economy, is like a magnet.
Dallas has been the financial center of Texas of the gas, oil and mineral
interests of Texas, really would like to learn more about what makes Dallas tick. I know a lot of political financial contributions , huge ones at times,come and have come from there in the past.San Antonio is a far more interesting place historically and culturally so I never do. As if anyone, as a friend once put it to me , years ago, whimsically,
"Anyone from north of Austin is a yankee". They just don't get it.
Maybe he was right.

QUOTE=Dopo;16877427]You can always find non-educated people to do labor,
but high-tech companies, like the ones you find in Dallas and Houston require a large pool of highly educated population to keep up with their competition.

To put it in few words.... how many things are manufactured in San Antonio and sold outside of San Antonio?[/quote]

Old 12-04-2010, 06:03 AM

Default Yes, great post,

I too used to go to Floyd's, the original Bill Millers, Taco Hut,
Highland Pharmacy and I went to Highland Hills Baptist Kindergarten
and Highlands High.
It was a great time and place to have grown up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Awesome post and your memory brings up some of mine though by time I was growing up half of those places were gone.

Do you remember the pharmacy that used to be on Fair and S New Braunfels, where the current Whataburger is at? I do remember that as a child and you can go in and order something from the lunch counter.

And that small self service and outdoor postal station where you could buy your own stamps from a vending machine. No clerks there it was all DIY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio