Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:55 AM

124 posts, read 245,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkham View Post
I'm a firm beliver that people should speak any way they choose, use any colloquialism they prefer and invent new words if that is what they want.

I will not correct how someone speaks Spanish, since I find that to be presumptious and condescending but I will speak "proper" Spanish and never Spanglish. This has served me very well at a social and professional level.

Cheers!

Steve
I also believe that people should speak any way they choose, etc., however, I take extra care to make them feel comfortable in doing so. It would be presumptuous and condescending to correct someone's language, but, no more than making that person feel inferior with my "proper" speaking of a language. Fortunately, I'm as well-versed in "proper" Spanish as I am in Tex-Mex and choloismo!*lol*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
I will not correct how someone speaks Spanish, since I find that to be presumptious and condescending but I will speak "proper" Spanish and never Spanglish. This has served me very well at a social and professional level.
99.9% of the time, I wouldn't correct people.

But what do you think about this one...
Everyday I listen to 92.9 in the morning, the "Raul Brindis y Pepito" show from Houston. (They are mexican)
Every single time they were going to say that a person is old, like a senior citizen,
they said "El esta grande" (He's big)

Old 03-18-2011, 12:16 PM

206 posts, read 464,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Everyday I listen to 92.9 in the morning, the "Raul Brindis y Pepito" show from Houston. (They are mexican)
Every single time they were going to say that a person is old, like a senior citizen,
We used to call my grandpa "Papa Grande," and he wasn't a big man at all. I'm not fluent by any means, but I think the "grande" was out of respect. I'm going to ask. I never questioned it, just went with it. Now I'm curious.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:11 PM

45 posts, read 107,344 times
Quote:

ugh.

It's wrong at two levels. First it should be, "el es mayor de edad" and even if they wanted to use grande as a colloquial substitution it should be "el es grande"...unless the whole phrase is used as a colloquialism

Even then I would not correct them. But I would cringe

Last edited by smarkham; 03-18-2011 at 02:01 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojosalsa View Post
We used to call my grandpa "Papa Grande," and he wasn't a big man at all. I'm not fluent by any means, but I think the "grande" was out of respect. I'm going to ask. I never questioned it, just went with it. Now I'm curious.

I've heard this used in other places, specially around the Caribbean. Mama or papa grande. So I don't think of it as Spanglish. It's definitely an idiomatic expression born out of respect. I find it endearing

Old 03-18-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
That is definitely the problem. Plus some people still think of the south from the Jim Crow era.
I can understand why people ask this anywhere, not just the South.

My mother is from Mexico and is of Mestizo (Indian and mostly Spanish) and Slavic descent--she looks Russian. My father is American of English and German descent. I look European and have a very WASP-y last name but consider myself latin socio-culturally. I was born in the US, grew-up in Mexico, moved to the East Coast for college and have traveled extensively. I'm a dual national and hold both passports. People don't automatically assume I'm of Mexican descent therefore I have heard people say some very disparaging remarks about us. I'm also gay but people tend not to pick-up on it. I have heard them say some very disaparging remarks about gays. So why would I want to live in a neighborhood where people don't like Mexicans or are uncomfortable if I hug my boyfriend when going to work...well, in theory--I'm single
In this day and age I have seen heterosexual interracial couples walking down the street and someone snicker behind their back. This would not happen in certain neighborhoods but certainly in others.

As a corollary I would not want to live in other countries where they are xenophobic against Americans. I have lived for the most part in Washington DC since college. Where I chose to live my ethnicities, nationalities and sexual orientation were not an issue. Can you really not think of areas in SA where regardless of how courteous and considerate I would be my socio-ethnic and sexual orientation would not be viewed pejoratively?

I will be moving to SA in two weeks and everything that I've read about SA (specially in this forum) makes me think that it's a tolerant city where if I respect my neighbors they will respect me. During my visits I have found the people polite, well-mannered and gracious. I hope that this will translate into a place where I will feel comfortable and not be denigrated because of who I am.

Last edited by smarkham; 03-18-2011 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I hope that this will translate into a place where I will feel comfortable and not be denigrated because of who I am.
I hate people that say that (I just had to throw that in there )

Old 03-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Hyp

97 posts, read 122,014 times
What makes me wonder, is why Radio station's don't put on other music rather then top 40 BS. Top 40 is ehh, but when you have 2-4 other stations playing it, it makes me wonder... There are so much good music out in the world...

Old 03-19-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post
What makes me wonder, is why Radio station's don't put on other music rather then top 40 BS. Top 40 is ehh, but when you have 2-4 other stations playing it, it makes me wonder... There are so much good music out in the world...
From listening to "La Kalle"
it seems to me as if the owner of those radio stations has a deal with one or several record labels. Because they always play the same people and only play their latest song.

There's some amazing songs from the last 5-10 years that get almost zero airtime.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Hyp

97 posts, read 122,014 times
Quote:
From listening to "La Kalle"
it seems to me as if the owner of those radio stations has a deal with one or several record labels. Because they always play the same people and only play their latest song.

There's some amazing songs from the last 5-10 years that get almost zero airtime.
I hear you on that. Personally, I love House Music/Electronic Dance Music, and have been an avid listener to that genre of music for over 10 years (since I was 12 yrs old.) There is so much up lifting songs out there that can make you feel so happy just by the sounds they produce, and then they add vocals which makes songs that much more able to relate to. But all of those great songs get no air time. I hate it... It's time Sa has been more diverse to different music then just top 40 stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio