Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 10:16 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times

Advertisements

An interesting piece of SA history that I was unaware of prior to this Express-News article that came out today, so I thought I'd share...

Quote:
Hidden History of Gangsters and Guns

http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/LEBMAN-GUN-SHOP655.jpg (broken link)

In the musty catacombs beneath the part of South Flores Street where lawyers, cops and government officials bustle back and forth lie the remnants of a connection to some of America's most notorious gangsters.

Gun shell boxes, casings and divots in the walls hint at where some of the world's first automatic weapons were test-fired in the basement. One room contains the ghostly silhouettes of 20 handguns, each with a handwritten label and a nail on which aluminum models of weapons once hung: Colt Cobra; Ruger .41; S&W .357.

The storefront above, next door to Tommy's Restaurant, is empty now, but for decades the proprietor of 111 S. Flores St. was Hyman S. Lebman. Back in the 1930s, he supplied members of the Dillinger gang with handguns he'd modified from single-shot to fully automatic. (Full story)
Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 02:57 PM

950 posts, read 1,259,768 times
Default SA's Hidden History of Gangsters and Guns

Thanks for posting that .I had never heard really all that much in regards to San Antonio and organized crime in the 1930s.
Now I had about Hot Springs,Arkansas.The main reason for that was because my dad grew up there in the 1920s and early 30s, before they moved back to Milwaukee.My dad could remember when Al Capone came to town and seeing guys like Al walking the streets.Of course Hot Springs was a big deal then,even people like John D.Rockerfeller went there for the baths. I'm surprised the tv stations haven't done something on this.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:07 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
Thanks for posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio