Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,681 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever used PODS for a move or temp. storage. Was it comparable in price if you would have rented a U Haul Truck and a Storage Unit?

I hate the idea of packing up a U Haul Truck , Unloading, Storing in a Climate Controled Unit, and in a few months doing it all over again.

Last edited by wellguy; 11-23-2010 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 04:25 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
It was cheaper easier, much less streesful. I moved my sister from Philadelphia to Chicago. Ordered a Pod, they delivered it, we packed it, they took it and kept it for 2 months. Then delivered it in Chicago. All intact, in good shape(nothing moved or fell)and we unloaded it and they took it away. All the while we could keep treack of where it was by computer. The cost was less than a regular cross country move. I'd even use it for cross town moves. The only problem was getting the people sceduled to help pack it and empty it.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:54 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,262 times
we used a pod system when we moved here (it wasn't PODS, can't really recall the company.)

it was cost effective, but some of our stuff got damaged in the move. not really much you can do about it, just make sure you pack everything right, strap everything down, and cross your fingers. had trouble getting it delivered to our house on time for some reason. scheduled to have it dropped off the day we arrived but it wasn't delivered until the day after.

it was easy and pretty efficient and cost effective, but i am not sure how much i'd trust this particular company with a big move (again, it wasn't PODs, so i am not sure if this would be the case with other companies that offer pod services.)

Old 11-23-2010, 05:57 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,668 times
We used ABF.....we hired local movers in each place to load up the "truck/pod". Had absolutely no problems and would do it that way again.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:59 AM

44 posts, read 219,857 times
Default Pods

We used a POD to move here from NJ.

The price is less than hiring a moving company but more than if you rent a truck and do it yourself.

The positives of a POD:
1. You can pack it over time rather than all at once as you would a moving truck
2. Easy entry, it's basically at ground level so easier to load than a moving truck
3. Once it's done they come pick it up and you don't have to worry about it until it's to be delivered
4. You have time to unload it just as when you loaded it

The cons:
1. The POD is smaller than an average size truck you'd rent from Uhaul or others
2. You need a level easily accessible space for the POD to sit (no sloped driveways, or really tight turns for the truck/POD mover)
3. Cost is higher than a rental from Uhaul (or similar) for a typical move
4. You should buy a 4 x 8 piece of plywood to brace your stuff against so it doesn't shift in transit and jam the POD door. That was the advice we got from the guy that dropped ours off and it was good advice. If the door gets jammed you may have to call PODS out to fix it and they charge you for the labor and any materials (could be hundreds of dollars).

PODS gives online quotes so you should be able to get an idea of cost. I believe the actual cost we paid was a little bit better than the quote they gave us (far better that way than the other).

Old 11-27-2010, 05:48 AM

778 posts, read 2,502,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTransplant2008 View Post
4. You should buy a 4 x 8 piece of plywood to brace your stuff against so it doesn't shift in transit and jam the POD door. That was the advice we got from the guy that dropped ours off and it was good advice. If the door gets jammed you may have to call PODS out to fix it and they charge you for the labor and any materials (could be hundreds of dollars).
Wow - that is great advice! I'm finishing up with my first 1-800PackRat type POD today and I'll definitely get a piece of plywood for it. I wondered about all the stuff shifting around but was more concerned with crap getting broken - hadn't even thought about jamming the door shut.

By the way. Our driveway is not completely level. It isn't a ski-slope, but it isn't level enough to play basketball on either. Anyway, they put a few wood blocks on the front end of it to make it a little more level and that seems to have worked.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Wow - that is great advice! I'm finishing up with my first 1-800PackRat type POD today and I'll definitely get a piece of plywood for it. I wondered about all the stuff shifting around but was more concerned with crap getting broken - hadn't even thought about jamming the door shut.

By the way. Our driveway is not completely level. It isn't a ski-slope, but it isn't level enough to play basketball on either. Anyway, they put a few wood blocks on the front end of it to make it a little more level and that seems to have worked.
I think it depends on the driver. The one we had wasn't going to put it on our slightly sloped driveway and didn't have blocks at all. The driveway is in the shape of a slight "V" to handle runoff and he didn't want to set it down. In the end he did though and it worked out fine.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:55 PM

Thanks to All of You for the information. As always I'm confused and am still pondering the move. It's either a POD and hire a few of my Son's friends or splurge for a local moving company. Since there is no house to move it in everything will have to go into storage for several months.

Although the house is under contract something may change this week since both the Appraisal and Inspection were done late last week.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:15 PM

I just returned from WalMart and saw a Family packing one of the PackRat Containers. It looked as if they were / are having a difficult time arranging their furniture in it. The home was two story so I can only imagine how much stuff they have.

Can anyone suggest a Company that can properly load one of the units (for our move)?. After seeing that Family struggle I don't see how a Dining Room Table with 6 Chairs, China Cabinet, 2 Sofa's, 1 Loveseat, 1 Oversized Recliner, 2 Large Leather Chairs, Two Bedroom Suites, Washer /Dryer, End Tables, Coffee Tables, Misc Boxes, etc, etc, can be packed in one 16' unit.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I just returned from WalMart and saw a Family packing one of the PackRat Containers. It looked as if they were / are having a difficult time arranging their furniture in it. The home was two story so I can only imagine how much stuff they have.

Can anyone suggest a Company that can properly load one of the units (for our move)?. After seeing that Family struggle I don't see how a Dining Room Table with 6 Chairs, China Cabinet, 2 Sofa's, 1 Loveseat, 1 Oversized Recliner, 2 Large Leather Chairs, Two Bedroom Suites, Washer /Dryer, End Tables, Coffee Tables, Misc Boxes, etc, etc, can be packed in one 16' unit.

Dining room table legs come off, tabletop up against the wall. Dining room chairs stacked on top of each other (one upright and another upside down on it), sofas stacked on top of one another similar to dining room chairs. China cabinet along one wall, mattresses along the other, Leather chairs stacked on top of love seat, bed frames break down and can fit in various spaces. Headboards between the mattresses, other stuff in the center and in the remaining space towards the door of the POD. Depending on the size of the sofas everything might not fit but I think you have a shot at it (also depending on how many misc boxes and etc, etc, etc, you have).

The good thing about PODS or similar, they can store your stuff for quite a while just like a storage locker so no need to unpack it until you're ready. A friend had one for more than a year until he ended up in our rental house in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio