Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 08:17 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,369 times

Advertisements

Retaliation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,712,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Stinks - but I've GOT to think that there's a lot more to this story that hasn't been told yet.
That's also the very first thing I was sensing right off as I was watching about this very story on the TV news.......

Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,873,632 times
Revenge is usually calculated and carried out in quieter quarters and not the open road.

If it was road rage the common-law wife would have surely reported such as to faster catch the perpetrators.

Mistaken identity is a greater possibility.

Whoever committed this most likely was trained to some degree with weapons. Every shot, at least according to the article in the OP, was directed into the windshield. Not something the common criminal is capable of with their improper firing stance, breathing, and overall aiming techniques.

If that was the case it would be highly likely that the bullets would have been more spread out. Especially if they were aiming from a 'passing vehicle' as also indicated in the article.

Quote:
When a moving vehicle (usually a HMMWV) is firing over its side at a stationary target, lateral motion affects the projectiles as they leave the muzzle. This lateral motion must be compensated for, and the gunner must 'lead' the target. When firing over the left side of the vehicle, the gunner must aim to the left of the target's center of mass. When firing over the right side of the vehicle, the gunner must aim to the right of the target's center of mass.

If the HMMWV and the target are parallel and moving in the same direction, no lead is required. The lateral motion of the projectiles compensates for any lead requirements. If the HMMWV and the target are parallel but moving in opposite directions, target lead is required.
MOS 0331 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do note there would be more appropriate categories that use lighter weapons than described above but with similar techniques though I have met veterans who would love to have a fixed .50 cal mounted on the back of a truck within our civilian population. I have also heard other nutty things as far as how some would like to see this country and city be. You'd be surprised what bored coworkers say if you just nod and keep listening.

Just more considerations and speculation (:

Last edited by Merovee; 11-30-2010 at 09:21 PM..

Old 11-30-2010, 11:46 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
Merovee, haven't you ever heard of drive-bys? Drive-bys in retaliation happen at all hours of the day and even in the middle of people's neighborhoods. Your theory was really far reaching as if it was pulled out of thin air. Mistaken identity, road rage, or retaliation are far more likely. People blabbing on their cell phones almost run me over all the time without even knowing it, so I wouldn't rule out road rage. SAPD has to look at what's most likely first, not pull far-fetched theories out their %&$#.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Your theory was really far reaching as if it was pulled out of thin air.
It might seem like that to you. While I admit some other scenarios seem more likely it is doubtful you have worked around some of the same people I have in the same places I have, payed attention to the same news sources I have, are concerned with the same issues I am, kept tabs with certain organizations like I have, such as fas.org and SLPC, and well it would take the same experience and understanding for everyone to see things the same way.

So I can't blame you for thinking like you do and we all grow up differently so will express ourselves differently too. Luckily we are all able to contribute in different ways to this discussion even if just pure speculation.

Quote:
Merovee, haven't you ever heard of drive-bys? Drive-bys in retaliation happen at all hours of the day and even in the middle of people's neighborhoods.
Drive-bys happen all the time, sure, I have seen the handiwork of drive-bys before, spray patterns, etc.., and have also concerned myself with crime in a way that wants to understand it and not simply condemn it. Drive-bys do not usually happen on the open street, incidents of road rage do, which seem unlikely if the wife did not report such, I also do not think any cell phone was mentioned. Speculation on your part perhaps? If so then one should not frown on others speculating as well especially not to the level of having to use stars to cover up indecent language in a civilized conversation.

Were you not the one claiming that that area was safe or something? It is not far from GNW and Hidden Meadow. I still think you don't even know anything about that side of town even if you delivered the WSJ there. It is imaginable that it was a simply drive-by but if we went by your theory that it is a good neighborhood it becomes less plausible, you cannot be right both here and there, but in this case you are right, it is no Stone Oak out there.

Quote:
SAPD has to look at what's most likely first
All I recommended is that if SAPD finds no leads to refer this to federal law enforcement because of the current climate and threats that do exist. Did I ever say this was the only possibility and SAPD should not investigate?

Last edited by Merovee; 12-01-2010 at 12:48 AM..

Old 12-01-2010, 12:16 AM

One drive-by has nothing to do with the area being safe. If it was done in retaliation, it's not some widespread gang activity.

If an extreme right-winger were the perpetrator, then why did all of the bullets hit just that one man? The girlfriend was just grazed by one bullet and the children were unscathed, so all of the shots were obviously meant for him.

From the interview of his girlfriend, I'm sure she's condemning the shooter herself. The perpetrator took the life of her boyfriend and the father of her children.

So others on here aren't trying to understand why the person did it?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
One drive-by has nothing to do with the area being safe. If it was done in retaliation, it's not some widespread gang activity.
You just seem to clump all crime into one basket without being able to differentiate in the different types. Something just does not add up with the speculation that it is either retaliation, a drive-by, or road rage.

Retaliation would most likely be from a prison gang and even if it was part of drug activity it would not usually go down like this. Prison gangs would resort to something more intimate and closeted away from the general public.

If it was a drive-by, well most who do those are usually in street gangs, and younger. Doubtful he was involved with street gangs who would be more likely to act in open public without thinking of witnesses or consequences.

If it was road rage there would usually be a confrontation that leads up to it.

Quote:
So others on here aren't trying to understand why the person did it?
Your view that he could have been on the phone and did not even notice is speculation at best. I would not consider it a far-fetched theory you pulled out of thin air or someplace worse. It is just speculation, as I offered, though you offered your own based on your experiences. Though it is obvious we do not extend the same amount of courtesy to each other but don't expect me to get mad when I can simply illustrate my point of view in a confident manner without having to respond in kind by using stars.

Modus operandi should be a factor to consider. We are all at different levels of understanding as well so again I don't blame you if you just don't get. I cannot understand why the gutter talk is necessary though? It is a poor reflection but not of me. Others 'trying to understand why' are not subjected to that.

Last edited by Merovee; 12-01-2010 at 12:53 AM..

Old 12-01-2010, 12:50 AM

I'm not the one who is lumping all crimes together. One man gets shot and you want to paint the whole area as crime-ridden.

Someone possibly being on the phone and upsetting another driver is speculation, but it isn't far-fetched because it happens all day every day. People aren't being shot in San Antonio by right-wing fringe groups all day every day.

You aren't extending courtesy. You are clearly insulting everyone who doesn't think like you and questioning their intellectual abilities. Obviously, you think you know more than everyone here when it comes to crime, even more than the people who have worked in law enforcement or are studying it in college. It's pure snobbery.

The retaliation doesn't have to come from a street gang, it could be retaliation from his past. Crimes that appear to have been committed at random are harder to solve because it's harder to find the motive. The Mafia often assassinated people in public and the Mafia is more organized and sophisticated than a street gang.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:57 AM

People are not being shot in road rage incidents all day either because they unknowingly did something to another driver while they were on their cell. Road rage incidents usually are more confrontational with both parties escalating the incident. I do believe I have a different take on this issue but equally find everyone's speculation as allowable and even more likely of a scenario than what I proposed. It still does not add up and it is very likely SAPD will figure it all out soon enough.

Quote:
The Mafia often assassinated people in public and the Mafia is more organized and sophisticated than a street gang.
Which mafia? From what era? In which region of the States? The local mafias do not work that way and all mafias are not the same.

If you have any sources please provide them because I am always open to learning from others if they have knowledge to share.

Quote:
Crimes that appear to have been committed at random are harder to solve because it's harder to find the motive.
So now your theory was that it was a mafia hit done at random to appear like it was not? That kinda does seem far-fetched but maybe the SAPD won't even need to figure it out if you have already wrapped it up all on your own q:

Last edited by Merovee; 12-01-2010 at 01:07 AM..

Old 12-01-2010, 01:13 AM

I have a different take because a couple of years ago, my ex-boyfriend was shot for no reason on Judson Rd. The driver in the vehicle next to him felt like he was being challenged or something. My ex just ignored him and wasn't trying to race, but was shot.

I'm not going to give you sources on the Mafia here in this thread, but I'll DM them. My point was that street gangs aren't the only ones who commit murder out in public. I did not once say he was possibly shot by the Mafia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio