Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 PM

31 posts, read 73,571 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

All my life i've wanted to learn how to drive stick shift, but never had the luxury of anyone in my family or friends knowing how to. I'm 20 now and about to make a purchase on a new car, which is manual transmission and the problem is i don't know how to drive stick.. I've familiarized myself with the rudiments and fundamentals on how to drive stick and watched instructional videos on youtube, but I haven't had the option of practicing it in a tangible setting to get a "feel" for it. If any of you guys have any spare time to teach a upcoming car enthusiast please let me know... I'm willing to pay 20 dollars or so for your time...

Thank you,
Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 11:40 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Where in town are you, dude?

And LOL, your name reminds me of a McFlurry, hahahaha! Didja do that on purpose?!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:46 PM

Yeah lol i'm in love with those things and since my name is mike and the first two initials of my last name is ph, my buddy gave me that nickname haha. stuck ever since. i'm over @ UTSA off i10 W close to 1604

Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 AM

Okay, that's pretty close to me. Do you already have the car, or have you not gotten it yet?

The thing about driving manual is....practice makes perfect. That's all there is to it. Have you ever driven one? (outside of Gran Turismo, LOL) Or have you just educated yourself online?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,713,106 times
Default Courtesy is the key to safe driving. -a rule of the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephlurry View Post
Hi guys,

All my life i've wanted to learn how to drive stick shift, but never had the luxury of anyone in my family or friends knowing how to. I'm 20 now and about to make a purchase on a new car, which is manual transmission and the problem is i don't know how to drive stick.. I've familiarized myself with the rudiments and fundamentals on how to drive stick and watched instructional videos on youtube, but I haven't had the option of practicing it in a tangible setting to get a "feel" for it. If any of you guys have any spare time to teach a upcoming car enthusiast please let me know... I'm willing to pay 20 dollars or so for your time...

Thank you,
Michael
I personally don't have the time {sorry} though I do prefer driving stickshift myself. Sure, in time one eventually gets the overall "feel" of one's machine. FIRST OFF: the most important thing is to learn and train yourself {to maybe even an instinctive automatic degree} on HOW TO STOP.....and do it safely, how to carefully drive your vehicle be it automatic or standard, learning and familiarizing yourself with how both your Gearshift Patterns and Neutral *feel* in your hand, how minimally-much to rev your engine enough prior to going into First Gear {depending on inclines} and the same goes for the ensuing gears, how to use Engine Sound to help promptingly-guide you for the next shift, when exactly to use your clutch and how to {because it seems one is perpetually-chasing the right balance between Clutch and Accelerator as time wears down your clutch plate and other vehicle parts, etc.}, try not to "ride your clutch", what footwear is best/most grippingly-secure/and safest {gotta watch those long laces, sandals, wet slippery mud underfoot, etc.}. Some people actually even "float gears" though I am not an Expert Mechanic {nor do I claim to be an Expert Driver} and so I will not recommend it. As you probably already know, with time and safe repetition you'll gain experience and quality. Practice first often in places where it is not too congested with people and cars and go from there gradually. Gotta watch those Uphill Stops, though. I *really* royally-hated those when I first started out. Don't speed, especially during Slick Road Conditions. Watch the School Crossing Speed Limits. Good luck.......

"It is better to get to your destination a little late than a bit too early to the cemetery." -a saying I have heard for years

Old 12-01-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Okay, that's pretty close to me. Do you already have the car, or have you not gotten it yet?

The thing about driving manual is....practice makes perfect. That's all there is to it. Have you ever driven one? (outside of Gran Turismo, LOL) Or have you just educated yourself online?
I haven't gotten it yet, which is why i'm in dire search for someone with a manual transmission car..

I know everything there is needed to know in regards to driving an actual car (4 years). As for manual transmission, I've done the mental exercises that most sites recommended. I've talked to manual transmission drivers and asked them about their first experiences and what tips they recommend. I've done my research, reviewed diagrams, and also read many variations on how to drive. I understand the components of starting, stopping, reverse, and hill. I've also educated myself on the cons of manual transmission (about the wear and tear on clutches and gear boxes, etc.) I've a car manic, so Im not completely ignorant on automobiles lol.

Dude, i love need for speed hot pursuit, you gotta play that LOL.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:21 AM

Well i'm not here to get philosophical, but I love cars and learning stick shift becomes second nature. Some people forget they're even driving stick somtimes (at a stoplight forgetting to depress clutch), and I'm one of those guys that like to enjoy doing what is enjoyable. Anyways manual transmission cars are safer than automatics considering it doesn't free up a hand to text, so i feel i'd be much safer in a manual than automatic. Plus you're alway at a risk when driving, an accident is beyond your own control when it comes to other motorists.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Bo; 12-01-2010 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you were referring to was deleted

Old 12-01-2010, 12:26 AM

hahahahaahhahahaha!!!!!! Sorry, I just thought it was hilarious you answered to that, LOL. We're all tired right now, aren't we?

When are you planning on getting the car? What kind of car is it? Hope you're gonna get great gas mileage!

Old 12-01-2010, 12:31 AM

Next month i think. It's an RX-8, and i sure as hell hope so lol. Rotaries don't really have a good history of long lasting engines.

I need to learn now though, which is why i'm getting pretty desperate. not being able to drive the car off the lot is embarassing...

Old 12-01-2010, 12:41 AM

Oooooh, wow. I wonder if rotary engines have slightly different driving dynamics from other engines in regards to the manual. Actually, I think I drove one once....or am I just imagining it? I dunno.

At least you have a month to find someone with a manual who will let you practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio