Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times

Advertisements

I agree TR that Section 8 plays a primary role in the local situation. The process of gentrification will also turn many of the former areas some of these people lived in, fix them up, then make the price of rent too high for lower class people to continue to live in them. So the poor have no choice but to move out to the suburbs. This happened to a small degree at the Victoria Courts though some of the units there are still subsidized but most are not and can be rather pricey.

Of course this is happening at a more rapid pace in places like Bed-Stuy than in the inner-city of San Antonio. In Europe, Paris for example, the poor totally live in the suburbs while the affluent live in the city proper, a total reverse of the traditional American setup.

Section 8 though is not solely behind what is happening locally. The job market, unchecked rapid growth aka sprawl, and other factors are going to contribute. The city council does not have to approve every new development but some are in good with property developers. They do not have to offer a tax abatement to every industry from call centers to tourist attractions (including hotels) that only offer low wages. Our own local government also contributes to this situation.

Last edited by Merovee; 12-02-2010 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 12:47 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
I live in the Heritage Subdivision (Potranco & Dugas) near the Duck Pond. I'm in a cul de sac and it is extremely quiet. There is a home that is being rented out by Section 8 (I saw a SAHA employee meet with the family living there one day when I was outside) and just by looking at it didn't know it was overseen by Section 8. Some folks keep up their homes and some don't.
I would welcome something like Potranco Market with the addition of a crossover close to the shopping center so drivers can cross over onto the opposite side of 1604 with having to go through Wal Mart and Potranco outside of 1604. Also, I would rather see Potranco Market with less stores. Costco, Movie Theatre, Planet Fitness and a few stores but I think adding more nail/spa or cell phone locations are unnecessary.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I can't think of any shopping center project in the city that was underway or started in the last 5 years that has been completely built out and leased out. The prominent examples that come to my mind are Alon Market, The Rim and the Legacy center. Lots of empty spaces in each of those. Those illustrate the current doldrums in commercial retail development.

The only success story that comes to mind is the most recent phase of The Shops at La Cantera. If it's not fully leased out, it's awfully close to it. There aren't many empty spaces in The Shops development, but it might be a special case because it's at the top of scale in this market.

It's just not a good time to launch a new shopping center that isn't upscale.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:15 PM

91 posts, read 260,546 times
The "Sarah Palin effect" ????

Old 08-16-2015, 02:43 PM

13 posts, read 22,187 times
Looks like they started to clear the land next to Wal-Mart. Does anyone know if Portranco Market is finally going to be built?

Old 08-17-2015, 11:27 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,730 times
I noticed this too but only the back part of Walmart and a small section. (that's viewable)

Old 08-17-2015, 11:28 AM

Maybe they waited to coincide with the widening of Potranco.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:04 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
At one time the the area being cleared was platted as a Lowes. Don't know if it still is. Today they had one front end loader clearing land and he's clearing a pretty big cut. They've also rip rapped the entry on the street between Murphys gas and Walmart so that's going to be a pretty big area. Considering they only have one piece of machinery in there doing the site work, I'd say whoever is doing it is over extended or the schedule has a lot of fluff in it.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:37 AM

Yeah, I remember seeing a PDF of the proposed area and it had like 2 anchors besides Walmart and smaller pads similar to Alamo Ranch with I think two stand alone restaurant sites. I'll try to find it and post.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:45 AM

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/2F316...BEEAFE7EB4.pdf

I called the number and apparently it's closer to becoming a reality as they are working hard on it. I felt bad calling and bothering the gentleman so please refrain from doing so if at all possible. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio