Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 7,199 times

Advertisements

Any current good MCM homes (or modern minimalist homes) on the market? We are considering remodeling our current home but if we could find a cool MCM we might go that route instead. I haven't seen any homes on the market for a while though. Thanks for any info.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 07:12 AM
RP3

2 posts, read 2,325 times
Googie,

I'm new to this forum, and have been reading this thread about MCM and O'Neil Ford homes. Is the ONF on Brandon still standing? I'm not looking to buy, but have a personal interest in anything the Ford brothers did. (I lived at Willow Way on & off for 30 years, and worked for Neil & Lynn on many projects.) I know these are old posts, but I'm just curious. Thanks.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 PM
RP3

2 posts, read 2,325 times
Googie2525,

I've done a drive by on Brandon, and see a truck out front, and it doesn't look too bad from the street, so I guess it's safe for now.

Tell me about the Lynn Ford planter on Broadway.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:59 PM

142 posts, read 337,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPinSC View Post
I've been extensively searching SA real estate from here in Charleston, since we are considering a move there, and am also a huge MCM fan. Here's what I'm finding, for what it's worth, but locals can probably help more.

I'm finding that they are scattered in the older neighborhoods - I've seen some in Terrell Heights, Balcones Heights, Oak Forest, and I forget the others. You pretty much have to sift through all the listings, or if your site has a "search by year built" feature limit it to 40's through 60's, maybe early 70's. Searching by keyword is no help, as MCM architecture doesn't seem to be something many realtors recognize, so it doesn't end up in the descriptions.

Almost any city that saw a suburban housing boom in the 50's will have some of that type, and SA does, from what I'm seeing, but you have to dig for them.

Also, the [mod cut] site posts MCM houses for sale, and sometimes they throw in a few San Antonio ones also. Hope that helps, and good luck!

P.S. Here's a link to one of the ones in Terrell Hills, by architect Milton Ryan. Needs work - the remodeling is out of character for the house, but great potential.

[url]
Actuakk

Actually, AIA San Antonio has a guidebook for sale that contains many houses built in the 50s. Besides Milton Ryan, there are many houses designed by O'Neil Ford during that time period. Ford was San Antonio's premier architect for decades and many local architects trace their roots to his firm which continues his tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio