Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:06 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,712,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I hate Co Worker's and Boss's Christmas Gift Exchanges or Money Collections with a passion but I always find myself getting caught up in them.
Isn't my Friendship and Hardwork throughout the year enough of a Gift? Thats' all I need from everyone else at the office.
"There are, of course, people who are not happy unless they are giving, but many of us do not fit into this category. Unfortunately, we are often put upon to do things we do not genuinely feel should be required of us. A conscientious person finds it very difficult to decide between voluntary and imposed charity. He wants to do what it right and just, and finds it perplexing trying to decide exactly who he should help and what degree of aid should rightfully be expected of him. Each person must decide for himself what his obligations are to his respective friends, family, and community. Before donating his time and money to those outside his immediate family and close circle of friends, he must decide what he can afford, without depriving those closest to him. When taking these things into consideration he must be certain to include himself among those who mean most to him. He must carefully evaluate the validity of the request and the personality or motives of the person asking it of him." -Anton Szandor LaVey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 AM

944 posts, read 2,040,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I hate Co Worker's and Boss's Christmas Gift Exchanges or Money Collections with a passion but I always find myself getting caught up in them.
Isn't my Friendship and Hardwork throughout the year enough of a Gift? Thats' all I need from everyone else at the office.
I can really sympathize with this. I can get into a gift exchange when I like my coworkers, but even if I couldn't (and I understand why some people hate them), I know I'd be caught up in it anyway because non-participants are looked down on as lame and cheap. The choice to participate becomes small-time workplace politics which is horrible...but that's how it is.

That said there is WAY too much going on at my workplace this year. Two gift exchanges (I may only participate in the one amongst my most immediate coworkers), a decorating contest ($ for the decorations), a larger team dinner (no money required, but eats up an evening), a smaller team get together at someone's house (must bring some food and eats up 3/4 hours on the weekend), and a smaller team dinner at a restaurant where we will have our gift exchange ($ for dinner, another evening partially gone).

One of the gift exchanges, the cube decorating contest, the smaller team dinner, AND the smaller team get together were all my boss' idea...he doesn't have enough real work to do so he brainstorms extra-curricular ways for us to spend our money and personal time. And if we don't participate, it's looked down upon. I'm going to be totally sick of seeing these people by the time the holidays are over.

Okay I'm done with my rant.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
I can really sympathize with this. I can get into a gift exchange when I like my coworkers, but even if I couldn't (and I understand why some people hate them), I know I'd be caught up in it anyway because non-participants are looked down on as lame and cheap. The choice to participate becomes small-time workplace politics which is horrible...but that's how it is.

That said there is WAY too much going on at my workplace this year. Two gift exchanges (I may only participate in the one amongst my most immediate coworkers), a decorating contest ($ for the decorations), a larger team dinner (no money required, but eats up an evening), a smaller team get together at someone's house (must bring some food and eats up 3/4 hours on the weekend), and a smaller team dinner at a restaurant where we will have our gift exchange ($ for dinner, another evening partially gone).

One of the gift exchanges, the cube decorating contest, the smaller team dinner, AND the smaller team get together were all my boss' idea...he doesn't have enough real work to do so he brainstorms extra-curricular ways for us to spend our money and personal time. And if we don't participate, it's looked down upon. I'm going to be totally sick of seeing these people by the time the holidays are over.

Okay I'm done with my rant.
And for that reason I am glad I work from home.

Happens all year long and just gets magnified during the holidays. Dont even get me started when folks' kids are selling things. The minute you buy something, word gets around and you are always the one people go.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:06 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
get 25 $1 scratch off lottery tickets. They often pay off several dollars. Just the fun of the anticipation and imagination is fun to watch. Either way...have a camera ready when he opens it....his expression will be priceless...good or bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio